Zappa Doc to Premier at S by SW

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the sound of everything I read there.
Is there an "other side" from Dweezil ripping this or anything? Hope not...

What I don't like is the absence of what I thought would certainly be a steady stream of 24 bit masters, live shows, and a LOT more of his surround mixes seeing the light of day after he passed. Greedy and selfish of me I suppose, right?

I like the sound of everything I read there.
Is there an "other side" from Dweezil ripping this or anything? Hope not...

What I don't like is the absence of what I thought would certainly be a steady stream of 24 bit masters, live shows, and a LOT more of his surround mixes seeing the light of day after he passed. Greedy and selfish of me I suppose, right?
I’m right there with you; feel your pain!

I’m right there with you; feel your pain!

The Zappa family only recently came to an agreement that ended litigation. As part of the settlement they all agreed to stop publicly disparaging each other, so even if Dweezil does not like something he probably would not say so. Hopefully, now that they are no longer fighting over money, the Zappa Family Trust will see to it that more archival quad material is released.

Last edited:
The Zappa family only recently came to an agreement that ended litigation. As part of the settlement they all agreed to stop publicly disparaging each other, so even if Dweezil does not like something he probably would not say so. Hopefully, now that they are no longer fighting over money, the Zappa Family Trust will see to it that more archiaval quad material is released.
That’s good news for us hopefully, I can’t think of any of his music that wouldn’t benefit from a good surround mix & mastering. Another tragedy, is that as a family, they have to resort to legal documents in order to come to a consensus and stop fighting over money. 😞

That's the most positive thing I've heard in a while.

Too bad the momentum stopped cold when he passed, followed by 2 decades inaction with aging fans with aging ears leaving the building one by one. (The fanbase would have been all over a stream of live releases and/or fanclub style subscription for that at the time.) So what did they release? Stuff like a very expensive 4 CD boxed set of outtakes from the first album with not even a 24 bit copy of said first album. Yeah...

Without even getting into remixing, Frank had a lot of unreleased surround mixes. He was into the technology. Just finally getting the stereo album catalog in 24 bit flat transfers would be welcome!

Too bad the momentum stopped cold when he passed, followed by 2 decades inaction with aging fans with aging ears leaving the building one by one. (The fanbase would have been all over a stream of live releases and/or fanclub style subscription for that at the time.) So what did they release? Stuff like a very expensive 4 CD boxed set of outtakes from the first album with not even a 24 bit copy of said first album. Yeah...

Without even getting into remixing, Frank had a lot of unreleased surround mixes. He was into the technology. Just finally getting the stereo album catalog in 24 bit flat transfers would be welcome!

Yup, how many youngsters say under 30-40; even know who Zappa is? :unsure:

Yeah, the Family Trust releases seem to be CD quality only, but I'm grateful to have the live releases from the short Petite Wazoo tour I saw in '72, Frank with his leg in a cast conducting a small orchestra.

Anybody bite on the new Hot Rats super deluxe?
I'm glad it's out, but a little spendy for me, don't know how much I'd listen to the out-takes & extras.

I don't know about Dweezil doing "Zappa plays Zappa" but I have tickets for two nights of, "Dweezil Zappa - Hot Rats Live Plus other Hot Stuff 1969" next month. One of my favorite albums by Frank. I just checked and its an international tour Dweezil - Hot Rats Tour.
Yikes, thanks brother.
In for Omaha in March!! :rocks

Zappa is released by Magnolia Pictures everywhere on November 27th

CgjCYMRVKuQTAVLvFXatC3-970-80.jpg

Zappa is released by Magnolia Pictures everywhere on November 27th

CgjCYMRVKuQTAVLvFXatC3-970-80.jpg

Ha ha, love that- “go any lower and it’ll be sleazy” :ROFLMAO:
I’ll never forget the one time I saw Frank in the early eighties in Oakland... had a young guitar virtuoso on all fours leashed on a studded dog collar crawling the stage... Steve Vai

Back