HiRez Poll Zappa, Frank - HALLOWEEN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Frank Zappa - HALLOWEEN (Live in NYC 1978)

• Total voters
Like this one a lot. It really has a nice "live" sound to it that makes you feel like you are standing near the front of the stage. IMHO doesn't have the feel of perfection to warrant a 10, but for me a very strong 9.

Last edited:
I like this one a lot. How can you not like a song called Easy Meat! Nice live feel and some cool 360 spins during the drum solo. 8

This one gets a 9 from me. Great playing-fun show-nice mix. Can't wait for more from Frank!!!!

This one not only gets a perfect 10, but also the ultimate accolade I can bestow :banana: Okay - I am biased. I think Zappa is God, never mind Eric Clapton - and this mix really does make me think that I am there, watching the show live. And I am pleasantly surprised by this as usually I mark down for a mix where the rears are there for ambience. This one seems more like positional information than a straight reverb too. Dweezil has done his old man proud here, and my personal favourite is Dont Eat the Yellow Snow.
The way that the musicians blend together is superb too - the 2 bass players is an experiment that my better half (a bass player herself) has always wanted to try out, and the combination of the fretted and fretless go so well. Where they are not counterpointing they are in near perfect unison.
This disc is impressive, it really is.

Next stop - Quaudiophiliac.

The way that the musicians blend together is superb too - the 2 bass players is an experiment that my better half (a bass player herself) has always wanted to try out, and the combination of the fretted and fretless go so well. Where they are not counterpointing they are in near perfect unison.

As a base player my self Myself and three other bass players got together a couple of times with a drummer friend and rehearsed as four bass players and a drummer.

Good times very noisy like a 747 taking off, only wish we had taken it a bit further but great fun.

back to the thread Love this album not quite as much fun as Quad but a great live album.

This one not only gets a perfect 10, but also the ultimate accolade I can bestow :banana: Okay - I am biased. I think Zappa is God, never mind Eric Clapton - and this mix really does make me think that I am there, watching the show live. And I am pleasantly surprised by this as usually I mark down for a mix where the rears are there for ambience. This one seems more like positional information than a straight reverb too. Dweezil has done his old man proud here, and my personal favourite is Dont Eat the Yellow Snow.

I agree, although I knocked one point off for the swirly drum solo. It would have been much more engaging IMHO to have Vinnie's set anchored all around the listener and just let his command of polyrhythms provide the movement.

If you like Zappa, I mean really like Zappa, like many of us do, then you gotta have this. Great sounding live recording, great content. A 9 to 10, in my book.

My only wish is to see more music re-mastered in high-rez. I have both sacd/dvd-a and by far appreciate dvd-a so much more. And the music i would like to see the most of redone is that of fz. Very much under appreciated!! never palyed on radio and no exposure to the masses, those who are treated to fz cannot help but appreciate the master genious of FZ. I envision a day that kids will be listening to this music because sooner or later every other format will sound the same ( kind of like-- now?) and something different will be sought after. :sun

I love Zappa, and the song selections here, but as a rule prefer studio perfection to live recordings and I suppose that's the reason I can't get into this one like I probably should. It mostly makes me want to go back and hear the studio versions.

I do enjoy the wacky mix on Vinnie Colaiuta's "Zeets", but agree with Felix that it would be more fun if we were placed in the middle of the drum kit. (Jeez, that may be the first time I've ever wished for a LESS goofy mix!)

Mustering up a 7 for Zappa, the songs, the radio interview extra, and the four-way stereo she promised.

Mark Z

I'm a big fan of this disc. The approach of placing the listener in the middle of the house works very well (the slap-back echo of the snare from the rear of the auditorium is particularly effective). The band is awesome, as per usual, and the set list provides a good snapshot of live Zappa in '78. And how 'bout that killer guitar tone for the 'Easy Meat' solo? A shame about the unnecessary 360 degree drum solo but that's my only beef. This is another terrific release from the Zappa estate. There seems to be no end of quality recordings in the vault. 10.

10! This was one of my first 5.1 finds. I love the feel of the audience in the mix. For a digital representation it gives me a warm analogue glow when I listen to it. Lots of fun. Just like Zappa shows were!

This is a great release overall , good extras and the show is excellent - Zeets is a bit gimmiky but it is fun! If you are a Zappa fan this is essential

Back