HiRez Poll Zappa, Frank - QUADIOPHILIAC [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Frank Zappa - QUADIOPHILIAC

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

This thing sounds incredible! Everyone with even a passing interest in hi-fi surround sound should hear this. The recording is warm and inviting and the mix is experimental, but it is absolutely one of the best I've ever heard. Musically, it is quite a oddball collage of studio and live-sounding material. Perhaps a bit rock/jazz/classical fusion? Definitely a 10.

I am a bit biased being a huge Zappa fan... So I have to say I like this disc a lot. However some of the cuts just sound like they are kind of reprocessed front to back. Some other cuts are just incredible. Some people don;t like the experimental Zappa stuff... I get it so I like it. Overall I would give this disc an 8 for program and mix.

I won't vote on this one, because i sold already. But it was nice to hear it one time, but the second time i listened to it i fell asleep {just couldn't hold my interest}. There were some really nice guitar parts, but over all it was kinda {i guess you would say} too deep for my taste. I would have prefered to get Apostrophie' or Overnight sensation in surround.

At times very difficult to listen to other times cant get away from the Music, Typical FZ really. :mad:@:

The Mix is at times interesting never boring gave the disc a 7 ;)

I'm a big Zappa fan, so I had to reel in my enthusiasm to rate this one objectively. Despite Dweezil's best efforts, the production is kind of spotty, but considering the varying levels of quality of the media he had to work with, I would say he did an outstanding job. This a great opportunity to hear Zappa surround projects that would otherwise rot in the vaults forever. There are a few stellar moments (such as Waka Jawaka) that really pull this title up!

For the Zappa fanatic, this one is 10 all the way! For a standard surround fan, it might rate a 7 if they have trouble with the music. My objective take: 8 points.

The interesting thing about this is the way Frank Zappa had originally envisioned the four channels to be used. His channel assignments were left front, center, right front, and single speaker rear. To accomodate this, Dweezil fed the single rear channel to both the left and right surrounds. This was done on every song but two: "Chunga Basement" and "Waka/Jawaka". In these two songs, the center speaker is eliminated altogether, and the rear speakers have there own discrete content. I'm not sure if FZ had intended this configuration for these two songs, but to me it works. In fact, I like the sound of these tracks better than alot of them.

Certain mixes work better than others (some tracks have too much reverb for my taste). All in all, not perfect as a whole, but a definitely a worthy title.

From what the liner notes indicate, there are many more such mixes. I say bring 'em all on!

The DVD-A track is 96/24 5.1 (no hi-rez DVD-A 2.0)
There are 2 audio track on the DVD-V portion. DTS 96/24 and PCM 2.0 48/24
Also included are 2 videos (Suicide Chump and Dancin' Fool)
A radio interview
A libretto containing all dialogue and lyrics
A discography
A biography
and finallly a little story about the cover of the album

I give it an 8. I think I must make other Pioneer 45a owners aware that if you expect to get a subwoofer off the DVD-A forget it. It's PPCM without a subwoofer specifically coded for (like the Ryan Adams Gold DVD-A) so no matter what you do the subwoofer will remain dead. If it were LPCM this would not be the case. Anyway it's supposed to be Quad but I just thought I would mention it.

An absolute MUST for all Zappa fans.
It is simply superb.
I've been looking through my dictionary trying to find enough superlatives to describe this, and none really do it justice.
I really hope that Dweezil gets some more out - sooner rather than later too.
There must be some incredible material in the UMRK.

:banana::wave:spot

I hate to go against the tide, but I just can't warm up to this one. I like some Zappa discs (Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo), but I've listened to this disc three times now, and I don't care for the music at all. The mix was interesting in places, and sound quality seems good, not excellent. I gave it a 6. I'll probably sell this one. Judging from your glowing reviews, I shouldn't have any trouble finding buyers.

VACamper said:
I hate to go against the tide, but I just can't warm up to this one. I like some Zappa discs (Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo), but I've listened to this disc three times now, and I don't care for the music at all. The mix was interesting in places, and sound quality seems good, not excellent. I gave it a 6. I'll probably sell this one. Judging from your glowing reviews, I shouldn't have any trouble finding buyers.
Well, it is kind of spotty but there are some great moments. I think it is worth keeping just for the song "Waka Jawaka". It is a completely alternate take from the original album, the sound quality is very good, and the surround mix is excellent. Three major pluses for this Zappa fan. The fact that Waka Jawaka is probably my favorite Zappa tune doesn't hurt either.

This might be the best DVD-Audio disc in existance, in my opinion. The mix is killer, the music is awesome and the clarity just has to be heard to be believed!

I love hearing Frank's classic rant about record companies on top of Easter Hay and also the quad mix of "Wild Love". That's possibly one of my favorite Zappa songs. Now, if only we could get the quad mix for the entire Sheik Yerbouti album, I'd be a happy man. Apparently Frank did one in 1979 but it remains unreleased to this day.

A perfect 10. If you're even a casual fan of Frank Zappa, this is required listening.

It's obvious that Frank isn't for everyone, he's not even for many, but for those that enjoy his work, this is a huge find. I've got everything of his CD catalog. Zappa fans do that. BUT there are only two in surround. So, to just comment on the sound of this recording, its very good. If you like Zappa its maybe a 9 or 10 (again I want to reserve a 10 for one of those earth shaking discs that should be in the Smithsonian). If you're trying to listen to Zappa, like most people try, then it may not grab you. That really is the crux of the biscuit, in my opinion.

Well, this certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea being a compilation of unreleased Zappa quad mixes of mostly unreleased recordings. But I love it. It's an absolute treat for the dedicated Zappa fan. A wild and wonderful sonic ride. Waka/Jawaka is a standout for me.

It's obvious that Frank isn't for everyone, he's not even for many, but for those that enjoy his work, this is a huge find. I've got everything of his CD catalog. Zappa fans do that. BUT there are only two in surround. So, to just comment on the sound of this recording, its very good. If you like Zappa its maybe a 9 or 10 (again I want to reserve a 10 for one of those earth shaking discs that should be in the Smithsonian). If you're trying to listen to Zappa, like most people try, then it may not grab you. That really is the crux of the biscuit, in my opinion.

FZ was far ahead of his time. He had ideas that are in use today, that people ignored at in the 70's. He truly was a genius.

Well, this certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea being a compilation of unreleased Zappa quad mixes of mostly unreleased recordings. But I love it. It's an absolute treat for the dedicated Zappa fan. A wild and wonderful sonic ride. Waka/Jawaka is a standout for me.

Absolutely, Waka/Jawaka is my favorite too!

Back