HiRez Poll Zappa, Frank - WAKA/WAZOO [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Frank Zappa - WAKA/WAZOO

• Total voters
The multitracks have been scrubbed of all or nearly all hiss which in my opinion is where some of the room sound is or should be. This could also be where the “sonic umph” could have been lost.

Just another opinion. But I like the mix’s musicality and arrangement.

My (only recently set up) surround system either isn't quite revealing enough for me to have noticed the noise reduction, or I just haven't listened to that system enough to know what to expect. Yes, noise reduction can really kill the sound of an album like this. However, my disappointment was due to the low gain. Of course everyone's system is different, but I'm just using a Sony STR-DH790 receiver for output. I'm all for turning up the volume, but I had to have the volume at max on this disc and it still wasn't quite as loud as I might normally play it. When the signal is that low, you're not driving the speakers enough to get a properly full sound. So for me, this disc ends up being a total bust. I REALLY hope they figured out and fixed this problem before sending the Over-nite Sensation disc to the replicators. I'm not buying that set until I hear that this problem doesn't occur there as well.

My (only recently set up) surround system either isn't quite revealing enough for me to have noticed the noise reduction, or I just haven't listened to that system enough to know what to expect. Yes, noise reduction can really kill the sound of an album like this. However, my disappointment was due to the low gain. Of course everyone's system is different, but I'm just using a Sony STR-DH790 receiver for output. I'm all for turning up the volume, but I had to have the volume at max on this disc and it still wasn't quite as loud as I might normally play it. When the signal is that low, you're not driving the speakers enough to get a properly full sound. So for me, this disc ends up being a total bust. I REALLY hope they figured out and fixed this problem before sending the Over-nite Sensation disc to the replicators. I'm not buying that set until I hear that this problem doesn't occur there as well.
Strange,I find it a bit quieter than most mch discs but I only boost it about 3-4 db over normal.
Make sure you are listening to the Atmos track not the TrueHD 5.1 is all I can offer.Good luck!

Like, totally maxed out? I've never heard of such a thing. If I put in this disk and simply maxed out my volume, it wouldn't be a good day to be an ear. lol

Heh, well admittedly the system I have set up for surround including the room it's in (my living room) is anything but optimal. I do enjoy my music on the loud side though. :) The max volume on the Sony receiver is 74. To give some examples, I was listening to the Vocalion SACD of Tomita's Firebird quite comfortably at around 48-50 the other day, while the Black Sabbath Paranoid Quadio gets absolutely blasted at around 62. Indeed I had to turn the Waka/Wazoo disc up to 73 and it still just felt weak. I should specify that I'm only set up for 5.1 and that was the layer I was listening to.

I should try playing the stereo layer on my primary system upstairs and see how that fares. No chance of needing to max out that system.
Certainly if one has a better setup and room, it may not be as much of an issue. I've listened to about 10 discs so far though and this is the only one that I've had a problem with the volume level on.

Reactions: GOS
Back