Zidoo Neo Alpha Multi-Channel Native DSD via HDMI, Roon & Tidal Support Media Player-

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the second point, this is the only product that I am aware of in a Media Player format, that will play back Multi-Channel Native DSD and supports Roon so I can have my entire collection and cover art in the one spot. Well that is the plan if the unit works as intended.
Not sure what you mean by "in a Media Player format" and why it is needed. Roon will directly play Multi-Channel Native DSD from my NAS. What am I missing?
In regards to pricing I agree it is expensive, however I guess you are also paying for the Video side of things. But then again Lumin's which only do 2 Channel DSD are around the same price points (though offer other features) and the Exasound at $7000 is double the price for me than the $3k Zidoo. They do have a cheaper Neo S etc but it is only 2 Native Channel DSD.
Sure but Roon plays directly to the Okto DAC8 Pro (<$1500) or the Topping DM7 ($600) via USB.

Thanks mate. Appreciate it. But I have my heart set on Roon and playing back my Multi-Channel SACD collection via it in Native DSD as well as the rest of my audio collection. Was looking at a Nucleus Plus at one stage but it can't do DSD via its HDMI without converting to PCM. Again appreciate the offer though.
Ah. So, for you HDMI is essential. It's doable from a PC.

Thanks mate. Appreciate it. But I have my heart set on Roon and playing back my Multi-Channel SACD collection via it in Native DSD as well as the rest of my audio collection. Was looking at a Nucleus Plus at one stage but it can't do DSD via its HDMI without converting to PCM. Again appreciate the offer though.

‘Luckily’ I can’t hear any difference between DSD or DSD converted to PCM no no need for two $3000 media players for my two systems here :)

‘Luckily’ I can’t hear any difference between DSD or DSD converted to PCM no no need for two $3000 media players for my two systems here :)
You're braver than me - I haven't had the guts to even try and convert my .dsf SACD backups to PCM to see if I can tell the difference cos I don't wanna know if I can't!

Ah. So, for you HDMI is essential. It's doable from a PC.

It would seem it is.

The single cable HDMI is what I am used to with my Oppo achieving playing everything as such to my AVP as a stand alone Network player but it doesn't have a nice interface with cover art and there are other issues that I have had enough of mentioned in this thread. Throw Roon into the mix and it will then output Multi-Channel DSD as PCM.

I have my audio collection on a Synology NAS located in another room where the fan noise won't bother me which is also running Roon Server(Core). I want to have a streamer that can stream my audio collection over Ethernet to said Device and then keep it in the same format to my AVP. DSD-DSD (no PCM conversion), DTS-DTS (.wav format), etc that is plug and play and is a Roon Ready endpoint.

Theory- So I can hopefully just open the Roon App on my ipad scroll through my collection, select my track and whether it be 2-Channel DSD, Multi-Channel DSD, DTS CD it plays as such to my AVP. Hope it works that way. If not I'll try using the Zidoo Media Player software on my pad to achieve the same thing.

If it doesn't work as such I either sell it or keep it until another device comes along that can do it.

As an aside it seems it does have a USB output (also mentioned in the downloadable manual)-

Digital Audio Output - USB Audio output : Any USB Type-A interface( support up to stereo DSD512, PCM 768KHz output, MQA)
Digital Audio Input - USB DAC Input : USB Type-B interface (up to stereo DSD512, PCM 768KHz, MQA format) Compatible with Windows (7, 10), Mac, Android, IOS system

Zidoo Z9X update:

1. I believe a recentishly discovered problem where detail was being obscured in low light areas for Dolby Vision content has been fixed with the latest v6.4.40 beta firmware. I updated mine from a months-old v6.3.60 (none of the many intervening firmware updates interested me) and after some brief testing, everything appears to be working. I've yet to watch a full Dolby Vision movie and can't really tell where the improvements are but test pattern images and other screen caps on the Zidoo forum appear to show the improvement so that's good.

2. I also got to test gapless playback (finally! Something that CD players have been doing since they were born - big sigh.) which is a few firmwares old. I'm happy to report that it works nicely.

3. The machine can also now correctly handle quad FLACs and quad/5.1 dsf backups from SACD (it converts DSD to PCM). I tested with Dark Side of the Moon and Poco's Seven and couldn't tell any difference from listening to the native DSD either from SACD or my dsf backups.

4. However, when I tried Dire Strait's So Far Away 5.1, I thought the hi-hat from the surrounds sounded a little less clear. When I tested between native DSD and dsf-converted-to-PCM, it was more apparent. So Far Away's hi-hat-in-surrounds always gets me as it's so crisp and clear, and I'm very familiar with it, so it stood out.

5. Also worthy of note which may have affected/enhanced my experience:
a. My surrounds are ~90 degrees to my earholes and so pointing directly into my brain.
b. I have Audyssey's curve set to Flat as I noticed the Reference setting with its high-end roll-off obscures certain high frequency sounds (some testing a few years ago revealed a sound I'd never heard before in a song I'd been listening to for ages, so it's been on Flat ever since).
c. I have SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers as my surrounds and they really seem to point the sound straight ahead when compared to my previous KEFs.
d. I prefer a detailed high-end as opposed to a "warm/not bright/not harsh" sound - come on, it's supposed to be high fidelity, let all the sounds out!

6. Anyway, just thought I'd post this as I found it interesting. Other than So Far Away's hi-hat, I doubt I would have noticed a difference between native DSD and dsf-converted-to-PCM though.

7. So, just a FYI if anyone's thinking about getting a Zidoo Z9X as a movie and music media player. Seems it can handle music duties sufficiently now.

Hi - just checking to confirm if this m/c will play 5.1 & 7.1 m/channel flacs as gapless?

@timothyemerson - I'm assuming from your post above with point 3 that 5.1 does, just wondering if you've been able to test any 7.1 stuff?

thanks!

I have the UHD 3000 and I doesnt play anything beyond stereo in Roon. It could be a setting on my end that is wrong but you might want post your question on the Zidoo forums.

Its a shame that the second hdmi output which does native dsd is audio only. This means that if you are using a home theater receiver you won't be able to see the Roon screen on your television or monitor if it is hooked up to your receiver. Modern receivers only allow you to choose one HDMI input, so if you are choosing an input that is audio only, you won't be able to see any content on your screen. I have a similar problem with the Eversolo streamer, which is otherwise a fine device (its hdmi multichannel is also audio only).

I too am looking into this but for the reason to try to get rid of ROON. It really pisses me off in several areas

1. I painstakingly backed up all my yesteryear SACD and DVD audio to images for convenience. J River recognizes them (SACD) but ROON does not

2. ROON eats up memory like there's no tomorrow on my computer (apparently on the device itself as well). Interestingly, Aurender--one of the top tier media streamers around--refuses to work with them for that very reason. They have a very telling FAQ all about it.

3. Currently I'm using an Oppo 205 modded to play my images because it does about 95% what a streamer can and the DAC implementation sounds better than almost 95% of the streamers. But it can't stream Qobuz (or catalog files) and with ROON it has two major disadvantages... No multi-channel playback and no native DSD!

4. They're asking for more money than most streaming services cost per month, which is in my opinion is pretty ridiculous.

That's why I'm considering this Zidoo (parent company to the heavily talked-about Eversolo... but this has the VIDEO side covered) to match my other high-end components. I've already checked with Oppo support...and if fed through the 205 HDMI input, there should be no loss in sound quality than if it was played directly from Oppo (connected drives) to my main system.

Some things about this Alpha that not many understand is why so expensive:

1. It uses the top line Sabre 9038 Pro DACs...same that's in the Oppo 205 coincidentally

2. It has a preamp function with true balanced XLR output and reportedly strong internal performance to directly feed an amp.

3. It can pretty much play any audio OR video file under the sun (including audio "image" files). That's the main difference between this and the Eversolo, which is solely audio.

4. It has multiple discrete power supplies for its individual components.

5. It's loaded with high-end Japanese audiophile chips like Elna capacitors

6. It can handle true native DSD multi-channel via it's HDMI out...a very Blu-ray like function that not many streamers can do

7. And last but not least for some people: t covers every possible Bluetooth connection to date... From crappy SBC all the way up to the latest Adaptive LL & LDAC (that gives a fighting chance for good sound).

Basically, other than absolutely needing the HDMI in on my Oppo 205 tor the time being,..this would be a complete replacement in my opinion. Or If I didn't need the M-Ch analog outs...which I definitely understand why the Zidoo does not support. That's a whole other world to get right...

3. Currently I'm using an Oppo 205 modded to play my images because it does about 95% what a streamer can and the DAC implementation sounds better than almost 95% of the streamers. But it can't stream Qobuz (or catalog files) and with ROON it has two major disadvantages... No multi-channel playback and no native DSD!
Out of interest... Could Qobuz be installed onto an something like an Fire TV stick, Roku, Chromecast, etc which could then be connected to the OPPO's HDMI input?

Out of interest... Could Qobuz be installed onto an something like an Fire TV stick or Roku, which could then connected to the OPPO's HDMI input?

Good thought. It could... IF Q actually had support for those platforms (or even Apple TV), all of which would connect through the HDMI, but they simply do not. There's not even support for Android TV...strictly iPhone, Android phones & the web. We've pretty much given up on other platform support and still waiting patiently for Connect (that interface will not work with Oppo though because there's no manufacturer around to work with them)! But the sound quality when you run Q through an exceptional system is worth the inconvenience.

Having a 100% analog system and an ARC-only TV, that Oppo HDMI is absolutely precious (only way to connect a digital component like an Android box or a video game system)...so I have to very cautious on how I use it. It doesn't like splitters too much I've found...

One thing it does support direct playback from is Mconnect... but remember I said "seamless"and this method is faaaar from that on the Oppo.

Good thought. It could... IF Q actually had support for those platforms (or even Apple TV), all of which would connect through the HDMI, but they simply do not. There's not even support for Android TV...strictly iPhone, Android phones & the web. We've pretty much given up on other platform support and still waiting patiently for Connect (that interface will not work with Oppo though because there's no manufacturer around to work with them)! But the sound quality when you run Q through an exceptional system is worth the inconvenience.
What an arse (ass)!?

I too am looking into this but for the reason to try to get rid of ROON. It really pisses me off in several areas

1. I painstakingly backed up all my yesteryear SACD and DVD audio to images for convenience. J River recognizes them (SACD) but ROON does not

2. ROON eats up memory like there's no tomorrow on my computer (apparently on the device itself as well). Interestingly, Aurender--one of the top tier media streamers around--refuses to work with them for that very reason. They have a very telling FAQ all about it.

4. They're asking for more money than most streaming services cost per month, which is in my opinion is pretty ridiculous.

That's why I'm considering this Zidoo (parent company to the heavily talked-about Eversolo... but this has the VIDEO side covered) to match my other high-end components. I've already checked with Oppo support...and if fed through the 205 HDMI input, there should be no loss in sound quality than if it was played directly from Oppo (connected drives) to my main system.

Some things about this Alpha that not many understand is why so expensive:

1. It uses the top line Sabre 9038 Pro DACs...same that's in the Oppo 205 coincidentally

2. It has a preamp function with true balanced XLR output and reportedly strong internal performance to directly feed an amp.

3. It can pretty much play any audio OR video file under the sun (including audio "image" files). That's the main difference between this and the Eversolo, which is solely audio.

4. It has multiple discrete power supplies for its individual components.

5. It's loaded with high-end Japanese audiophile chips like Elna capacitors

6. It can handle true native DSD multi-channel via it's HDMI out...a very Blu-ray like function that not many streamers can do

7. And last but not least for some people: t covers every possible Bluetooth connection to date... From crappy SBC all the way up to the latest Adaptive LL & LDAC (that gives a fighting chance for good sound).

Basically, other than absolutely needing the HDMI in on my Oppo 205 tor the time being,..this would be a complete replacement in my opinion. Or If I didn't need the M-Ch analog outs...which I definitely understand why the Zidoo does not support. That's a whole other world to get righI wanted to be able to stream multichannel audio through my Oppo 105 via Roon. I picked up the smaller Eversolo (DMP-A6) for this reason.
I was interested in streaming Roon multichannel to my Oppo 105 and was looking for a simple, inexpensive solution without sacrificing sound quality. I picked up the Eversolo DMP-A6. The DACs in this unit are not the same grade as the higher end Eversolo units, but since I connect the Eversolo to the Oppo via HDMI, I'm bypassing its DACs.

I can tell you that I am very pleased with the results. The Eversolo shows up as a Roon endpoint and implementation was super easy. It sends multichannel audio from Roon straight into the Oppo via HDMI. The album artwork shows up on the Eversolo which is really nice. I can also seamlessly stream Qobuz to the Oppo via Roon.

In addition to PCM, I can play SACD DSD files from Roon without a problem but they are being converted to PCM at present. Again, the sound is great.

The unit is designed to play SACD ISO files and play them in native DSD. I successfully loaded SACD ISO into the internal hard drive. It recognizes and tries to play them but I am having some issues with playback. That has been the only issue to date and I just haven't spent the time needed to address it since it handles my SACDs through Roon.

I couldn't be more pleased with the results from this pretty inexpensive unit (just over $800). The Eversolo app works well too. I can control everything from my phone and there is no need for a separate remote.

Yep...the red-hot Eversolo is basically the audio only version of the Zidoo "Neo" line. and is a great value for the price. Thanks for giving me some details of what the ES can and can't do... because that would be the same functionality of the Alpha. I would consider the Alpha because I need a Android (video) box as well...and with some tweaking (aka sideload) they can function that way as well.

However...contrary you what you said, I do believe the DMP-A6 also has the top-line Sabre DAC--albeit in the non Pro version.

Thanks. It's good to know about the DMP-A6 DAC. I really didn't mean to disparage it. Since it is a stereo only DAC I haven't even listened to it. I know the Master Edition DMP-A6 is reported to have an even better DAC implementation. It was a no brainer for me to stay with the standard unit since I needed multi-channel.

Good luck with your ES if you get one. I think you'll like it.

Out of interest... Could Qobuz be installed onto an something like an Fire TV stick or Roku, which could then connected to the OPPO's HDMI input?

Having a 100% analog system and an ARC-only TV, that Oppo HDMI is absolutely precious (only way to connect a digital component like an Android box or a video game system)...so I have to very cautious on how I use it. It doesn't like splitters too much I've found...

One thing it does support direct playback from is Mconnect... but remember I said "seamless"and this method is faaaar from that on the Oppo.
Does this Chromecast device not work when plugged into the OPPO's HDMI input: -
Qobuz.PNG

Cheers

Funny you should mention that. I just got a Chromecast AUDIO for my back room Hogtalare speaker (you know the one Google's stupidly discontinued cause they wanted to sell more crappy HOME speakers?)... but it maxes out at 24/96 res. That's fine for that speaker, but definitely not good enough for my main system, which can easily resolve more. Admittedly I never could really figure out how Chromecast works...or what device I would need (and connect to) to get 24/192. Even the instructions you listed are vague. I can't hook up a CCA anyway to my main system because there's no 3.5 input. Again my single HDMI IN port is precious...but I do need to research this.

I thought "Connect" was not working with Qobuz (apparently it is for some connections)...so as I said I'm rather confused by all this.

If you can directly point me to a "Chromecast" device that I would use with the Oppo that goes full 24/192, that would be fantastic :)

Screenshot_20231121_073649_Qobuz.jpg

Screenshot_20231121_073848_Home.jpg

Back