Ziggy Stardust on DVD-A in New Set coming 6/5

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super cool if it's real; "DVD-Audio" mentioned at least twice and "high resolution surround" once. Watch it turn out to be DTS 96/24 which is still okay.

Odd to think of a major label releasing DVD-A in 2012....

it's bound to be a 48/24 DVDV.

I'm just thrilled it'll have Ray Staff's 2012 remaster on those stereo DVD tracks and they've not just lifted them from the crappy SACD stereo.

This doesn't look like an MLP DVD-A. I think they tacked the audio on the end of the DVD to indicate it's not a video disc. It sounds like it's the same stuff that has been coming out the last few years--DTS 96 or some such thing. I'm happy to hear it's a new mix. It's not my favorite Bowie but I was really surprised how little interest I'd had in the SACD. I never finished listening to it I don't believe. It was extremely bass shy and just didn't impress me for some reason that I could never put my finger on. Hoping for an improvement. Heck even a well done DTS could be better than that SACD.

This doesn't look like an MLP DVD-A. I think they tacked the audio on the end of the DVD to indicate it's not a video disc. It sounds like it's the same stuff that has been coming out the last few years--DTS 96 or some such thing. I'm happy to hear it's a new mix. It's not my favorite Bowie but I was really surprised how little interest I'd had in the SACD. I never finished listening to it I don't believe. It was extremely bass shy and just didn't impress me for some reason that I could never put my finger on. Hoping for an improvement. Heck even a well done DTS could be better than that SACD.

That Ziggy SACD is such a half-arsed effort. The 5.1 is really disappointing.

If only they'd let SW or Elliot Scheiner remix it into 5.1 for this 40th.. ah well, Ray Staff's a bit of a legend so I'm pinning my hopes on him coming up with the goods so this album (at last!) sounds as good as it did 40 years ago! Maybe even better, that'd be very cool.

This doesn't look like an MLP DVD-A. I think they tacked the audio on the end of the DVD to indicate it's not a video disc. It sounds like it's the same stuff that has been coming out the last few years--DTS 96 or some such thing.

that is a sick improvisations of those retail merchants. EMI had never stated on such discs that
this is DVD-Audio. Audio only DVD instead and not includes neither Video or Audio underneath
trademark logo of DVD, printed on disc or package

It's definitely DVD-V, with DTS and 24/48 LPCM.
I will still be buying it (again) as there are 4 new surround tracks that were not released back in 2003 - these are the same mixes as the SACD.

I have written to the website & asked them to change this.
I will also be writing to Nigel Reeve at EMI, and ask him to stop mis-selling the catalogues.

b-b-b-b-but if you raise the center 5 dbs, the right rear 2 dbs, stand on your head, have a drink, remove the disc, and put in the mix I made for myself, it sounds good!

I will also be writing to Nigel Reeve at EMI, and ask him to stop mis-selling the catalogues.

nice one! the state of the music industry now I'm almost past caring what format we get these mixes in, as long as we still get surround music! that doesn't mean that the record companies should get away with palming inferior lossy stuff off as high-res, so good on yer!

b-b-b-b-but if you raise the center 5 dbs, the right rear 2 dbs, stand on your head, have a drink, remove the disc, and put in the mix I made for myself, it sounds good!

haha!! I'd rather have the mix you made yourself!

I can't believe at no point in the production of that Ziggy Surround mix that's being re-cycled now, that no-one had the gumption (or the guts!) to just go up to Ken Scott and say, "Hey, maybe you could try panning "x" from here to there or isolating "y" back there and "z" over there.. and see what you think?!?"

It appears Peter Mew back in the day (1973 I think) was responsible for engineering the original ELO quad mix that just got reissued.. and a more discrete mix you'd be hard-pushed to hear, its wild! so you'd have thought if Mew were around Abbey Road at any point in the Ziggy 5.1 mixing he might have heard some of the underwhelming mix we eventually got and chipped in..?!?

bah.. :mad:

Thanks, Neil,

I questioned the DVD-A when I ran across it. I visited Virgin's website. Of course, there was absolutely nothing about this release.

I'll be forever indebted to Bowie. He taught me how to look good in a dress. :yikes

It's definitely DVD-V, with DTS and 24/48 LPCM.
I will still be buying it (again) as there are 4 new surround tracks that were not released back in 2003 - these are the same mixes as the SACD.

Last edited:

I think PCP or LSD might be a bit cheaper and involve fewer steps. YMMV of course.

Oh wait! I tried that at a Grateful Dead concert and it didn't help in the slightest. I'll try your method...

I guess I'll probably have to buy it (again), maybe I'll try sell the vinyl to someone since I don't even have a turntable anymore.

I've got the CD and the Vinyl/DVD editions already on order - although why the flaming hell EMI are not doing the DVD as either a standalone or CD/DVD pack is frankly a mystery.

@ Mandrake 2011 - there is no such thing as too much Bowie. You should hear the 24/96 flat analogue transfers we have of the catalogue up to Let's Dance.
Sounds much better than any CD version ever released.....

@fredblue. Peter Mew? as in "Mewtilations"? The same man who managed to chop off the first chords of "Band on the Run" on the DTS-CD? Thesame man who managed to get the left/right channels in the wrong order on the 30th anniversary version of Ziggy? The man who chopped off tails and count-ins on the 30th anniversary version of Ziggy?
That Peter Mew?
You really reckon he would have made a better fist of it? I doubt that - he a mastering engineer as opposed to a mix engineer (The ELO was mixed by an un-named person).

Back