Ziggy Stardust

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

onionring8

I just watched the new 5.1 remixed and remastered "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars - The Motion Picture" several times and am quite impressed with both the sound and video quality. It's a quantum leap better than that travesty of a video tape that was released back in the 80's. The sound is crystal clear and simply breathtaking, and the clarity of the video is outstanding. This was such a raw and powerful concert, and this DVD finally does justice to what Bowie and the Spiders could accomplish on stage. I remember seeing it on tv way back in 1974 and was stunned by the energy coming from my little tv speakers...it's what turned me into a Bowie fan in the first place. The 5.1 mix is very nice, you feel that you're placed right in the audience. And the rear speakers, in addition to providing the ambience, provide an output for the backround instruments..piano, mellotron, etc. that got buried in the two channel mix. But what I found to be a real treat was listening to this through my quad synthesizer surround setting. Mick Ronson's guitar is completely isolated from the rest of the instruments in the rear channels, and it sounds so good! It makes an already powerful concert that much more powerful. The only negative thing I've found is that the unnecessary, and sometimes very distracting vocal overdubbing that was added in the 80's still remains. I think I even hear some overdubbed piano and congas too. That's a shame, as it takes away from the power of the concert. I have a bootleg album of the FM simulcast simulcast of the concert back when it was shown on tv in 1974. Now that's the way it was in it's full glory! If the producer could only have used the undubbed tapes to create the 5.1 mix, it would be perfect.

Brian

Back