Quad LP/Tape Poll ZZ Top: Tres Hombres [Q8/Q4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Tres Hombres

• Total voters
I just snagged a R2R to DVD-A transfer of this from a particular demonistic website. It's a recent transfer. The vocals are all coming from the right front and rear channels. Having never heard the quad mix before I do not know if this the correct set up. Can anyone confirm the correct channel set up? This is how the disc was encoded because I'm using HDMI to my 7.1 receiver.

A_L

On the Q8 format, the vocals emanate from the front channels. I would assume the Q4 version would be the same.

My understanding is the Q4 version has the vocals on the right - RF and RR. Check the drum placement. That should be Front (L & R)

My understanding is the Q4 version has the vocals on the right - RF and RR. Check the drum placement. That should be Front (L & R)

Just seems like a strange way to mix an album in Quad. I need to get hold of a Q8 and do some comparing.

As for the high end sound quality of the Q4 reel, it isn't there period. I had to boost the high end when I converted my reel.

As for the high end sound quality of the Q4 reel, it isn't there period. I had to boost the high end when I converted my reel.
You are correct! The same thing was also done on the Demonic conversion from the above post.

Is there more than one mix of this album then? I have an older DTS conversion and the Q8 and both have vocals in the front, but drums are split front left and back right.

The original converter might have moved some channels around

I just "remixed" the quad reel version from the demon site. Moved each channel counterclockwise using HD DVD-Audio Solo. Now the vocals are in the front. Drums are left front and left rear. With this "remix" the vocals and guitar solos are dead center in the front channels. I actually had to put my ear to the center speaker to verify no sound was coming from it, it was that convincing. This set up sounds right to me even if it's not the original mixer's intent.

A_L

I don't have the software to do that. Fortunately, my speakers are all pretty much the same, so if I feel the need I will just turn sideways!

I obviously F'ed this one up. When I looked at the wavs I did notice that the front left and rear right had the drums. I thought this was either a case of the channels being mixed up at the reproduction plant or something else. Never did I even consider that the drums would be split like that. I will have to revisit this one and correct it.

I had the Q8 track of this one in the 1970s and this was a favorite. Thanks very much for doing the conversion.

Last edited:
I obviously F'ed this one up. When I looked at the wavs I did notice that the front left and rear right had the drums. I thought this was either a case of the channels being mixed up at the reproduction plant or something else. Never did I even consider that the drums would be split like that. I will have to revisit this one and correct it.

That said, the best sonics I've ever heard for this album, FWIW! :) Look forward to the adjusted edition.

As a side note...the early ZZ's didn't have much in the high end of the audio spectrum, except for your usual basic analog tape hiss. My guess is that if someone who had never heard (or heard of) the band (but was familiar with the basic '60s 'sound' of rock recordings done at indie studios) listened to this today, they would assume, at best, it was something recorded on 3-track in, say, 1963. The album was released a decade later, but you'd never guess that by the sonics, which are very confined and limited, not to mention the limitations of the band: three guys, but this was no Cream, no virtuosos here, just capable, basic players with a lot of enthusiasm and gonads. The songs and performance are as basic as a hamburger with ketchup and mustard, and appealing for that reason. If an album could be made without any pretense at bullshit, by talented yet obviously 'average' musicians, TRES HOMBRES would be my exemplar of such a beast (the other one would be Lonnie Mack's THE WHAM! OF THAT MEMPHIS MAN, which WAS recorded in 1963!). I like it a lot even while understanding just how rote and crude it is, like holding a handful of dirt, being a gardener, and enjoying just being able to grasp that dirt. This is an album that a part of me should dismiss, but never could. It's a noisy, raucous masterpiece of its sort.

ED :)

As corrected, the call and response in Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers now is as God and ZZ T intended. I give it a 10.:brew

Bob, I had time to listen to your conversion, and it rocks!!!

one thing more... maybe an issue. I had the RQR conversion and I notice that RL/RR are reversed, to me it sounds more "natural" as a quad mix

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, I had time to download your conversion, and it rocks!!!

one thing more... maybe an issue. I had the RQR conversion and I notice that RL/RR are reversed, to me it sounds more "natural" as a quad mix
Huh? Please tell me that Luca is kidding. I want it to be 100% correct. Please let me know.

Bob,
It sounds fine to me, right or wrong. With a quad there is 12 times the ways to get it wrong, and you have worked on this twice, so more likely the other conversion is the incorrect one. I defer to the experts, is there a Q8 for comparison?

Heard the transfer of this (corrected version) and it does indeed rock my socks! Voted 10. Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers is just over-the-top wicked cool. What really blew my mind was hearing the different guitar parts in La Grange. On the stereo version, it all sounds like one guitar part - the quad mix reveals that even this simple riff was recorded as two separate tracks. At least that's what the mix seems to indicate. Crazy!
-------- Chris

Been chasing this for ages as it's one of my Desert Island Discs in oldfangled London vinyl stereo. Finally found it in recently corrected version and it's a 10/10 within seconds of playing it. One of those rare effortless quad mixes that is just how you'd do it yourself .i.e. nothing sounds out of place or distracting just a spacious enhancement of the original. I even fought the expected 'remastered stereo' jump in La Grange knowing it couldn't possibly be there. It wasn't and it just goes to show that computers and a poop digital marmelization (?) remastering are no match for some who OBVIOUSLY quad mixed it with a love of the album at close to the time it was originally recorded. Thanks to all involved Bob and for the correction revisit Bob. The only time my jaw has been on the floor previously has been the Paranoid conversion which again is just perfect, expanding a loved stereo bestest-friend into perfect quad space. I have this niggle where i think that the quad mix should sound the same as the stereo mix OUTSIDE the listening room i.e. everything in the same proportion with no sticky-out bits to make you think it's different. Hergest Ridge failed miserably (gutted, see my review). This passes with flying colours, along with Paranoid, Brothers In Arms and the first Nickel Creek SACD (which still has to be surpassed on the hairs-standing-up-on-arms factor if only for Reasons Why).
Just awesome.
Jem.

Back