Quad LP/Tape Poll ZZ Top: Tres Hombres [Q8/Q4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Tres Hombres

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Breakthrough album for the Texas trio. Meat & potatoes rock boogie, no frills, no muss, no fuss, very direct, honest, and obvious:

1. Waitin' For The Bus
2. Jesus Just Left Chicago
3. Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers
4. Master Of Sparks
5. Hot, Blue And Righteous

6. Move Me On Down The Line
7. Precious And Grace
8. La Grange
9. Shiek
10. Have You Heard?

Attachments

• ZZ Top Tres Q8300x392.jpg
    ZZ Top Tres Q8300x392.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
My favorite album by ZZ Top, and a fantastic quad mix. A definate 10. :banana:

Agreed! I'm not the biggest ZZTop fan, but this album you can't help but enjoy it! Very nice mix. Discrete but still gives a very nice soundfield. I was very impressed the first time I heard it! 10 :)

The original stereo mix was great, and the quad mix does not disappoint.

Love the Q mix of this album. But I have only heard the DTS conversion from 2 authors (no names), and both have high end rolled off too much to hide hiss.

I would love to hear this with the hiss and full fidelity that must be on the London QR. It is very very sad to me to hear what some conversion people have dome in the name of perfect "no hiss" transfers.

Looks like this one needs to be done in DVD-A-R with no processsing whatsoever.

JonUrban said:
It's on my list..........................:D

That's good to know...;)

Fine mix, I gave it a '9'....very nicely done, very active....

The fixation with hiss is something we always come across...Mike Callahan had a thing about it at BSN(newsletter & beyond), and while excessive hiss can be a problem for some listeners, I've learned to adjust, since levels can vary on a single album, let alone a compilation. I don't mind it, and it worries me that some go to great lengths to process it out, that can only hurt the overall soundscape, take something away that should be there. NR is a bane of CD reissues as it is. Except for removing noise and clicks and other tape anomalies--except for hiss--one can understand its use, but the best way is to let the natural tape sound come through. Wish they would more often....and more often than not, the hiss is minimal, sometimes barely existent.

ED :)

I really, really liked this one - and I din't expect to at all so it was a pleasant surprise when the mix turned out so clean & discrete.
I have o idea who did t, but the way it is mixed reminds me of Alice Cooper's Muscle of Love mix.
It takes straight 12 bar blues and makes it interesting.
Having such an aggessive mix works well for me with this album.
I was grabbed from track 1 and held throughout.
Recommended

What's the most recognized track from this album?

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 825
"La Grange": got a lot of FM play, and London finally put it out on 45, where it just missed the Top 40. Good funky stuff, not slick like their '80s BS...

ED :)

What's the most recognized track from this album?
Hello Jon,

La Grange was their highest charting single from their first five lp's that formed the base for their first greatest hits lp. It charted at #41 in 1973.

Tres Hombres is well represented on their first greatest hits with 4 of the 10 songs. La Grange, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, and Watin' For The Bus made it onto that greatest hits lp. And Hot Blue & Righteous and Shiek also get some regular deep cuts airplay on some stations.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is,"This is one damn good album!"
I can't wait to here it in quad someday...

LaGrange was an A.M. radio hit at least in Chicago when it first came out. It was my introduction to Z.Z. Top and I remember being impressed by the sound of the distortion/feedback on the guitar solo. I only had an A.M. radio back then, so I wasn't hearing anything with that kind of guitar sound.

Later on, the classic rock stations would also play "Waiting for the Bus" and "Jesus Just Left Chicago" back-to-back on a fairly regular basis.

After I got into quad, this was one of the albums I was most looking forward to hearing, and I wasn't disappointed to say the least.

LaGrange, had been a big radio hit here too! Probably 50% of the people knows the riff but don't have a clue on who played it... but it is well known (same as "Sweet home Alabama" from Linyrd Skynird... if you say the name nobody knows it, if you play the song everyone says "ah, this one!").

Last edited:
It's a 10. I haven't listened to much ZZtop in a LONG time. But over the last few weeks I have had the excellent AudioSpectrum Q4 conversion in my player quite a bit. Great music, great mix (mostly) and it sounds as good as many commercial DVD-As from the same period.

Yeah, 10 for sure. Just had it on last night and was stunned by the separation and sound. Never been the biggest Top fan, but this one sure hits the spot.

On a rabbit trail, the RQR who did this has no affiliation with Pentatone, right?

On a rabbit trail, the RQR who did this has no affiliation with Pentatone, right?

I would assume not. They (?) put a bonus folder on the DVD (which is why I originally assumed it was an AS release). I just looked at the artwork and RQR stands for Remastered Quadro Recordings. Not sure I really care, just happy that they made this fine conversion and shared it with all of us.

Back