Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in June, EMI Canada confirmed that they were getting lots of comments about the fact that there was not going to be a hi-res surround mix of Aqualung. They said that they would "pass them along". Okay, so maybe we (and a lot of members over at "the other forum") changed some minds at EMI. Granted things are set now for the October releases but regardless of that we have nothing to lose (and who knows what we may gain down the road) by sending our comments to EMI about their marketing strategy.
Comments: http://www.emimusic.ca/#!/about/contact

Done. I told them that, as pleased as I am that they have released the 5.1 mix in DTS-HD Master Audio, I will not be purchasing the super deluxe edition, and that I would have been happy to pay as much as $40 for the Blu-ray disc alone.

Done. I told them that, as pleased as I am that they have released the 5.1 mix in DTS-HD Master Audio, I will not be purchasing the super deluxe edition, and that I would have been happy to pay as much as $40 for the Blu-ray disc alone.

I just sent them a message saying basically the exact same thing :)

Message sent

I would like to offer a suggestion on how to market re-issues. And as an example I will hold up the latest issue of Aqualung on how not to reissue an album.
First of all there are three types of collectors
1) There are those who collect everything by a band they will buy the Aqualung box set as it’s by their favourite band.
2) There are collectors of vinyl who love the crackle and pop and but analogy sound that comes from vinyl. They generally don’t want CDs and DVDs and are not that bothered about surround sound. They would probably buy this if it came at a cheaper price and without all the other fluff CDs DVDs and Blu rays !!!
3) There is the surround collector, the rabid surround fan who will normally buy anything with a surround mix but does not want the vinyl and to be honest is not over bothered with the CD (Stereo).

Both fans in groups 2 and 3 may well have brought this I know I would if it was the vinyl and the DVDs were separate, but together there is too much high cost and too much redundancy in the package.
I would like to point you to Robert Fripp and King Crimson who seem to be understand the market better, In the court of the Crimson King came in a mega deluxe 6 disc box set which included the surround as well as a two disc CD and DVDA set for the less adventurous, and finally a separate Vinyl edition for those who like snap crackle and pop (Three editions and maximum market penetration) he seems to be able to make hi rez and surround pay.
It’s probably too late to actually fix this issue but I would just like to say that this is a missed opportunity for me and I don’t have the disposable income to cover such a large box with so much built in redundancy.

You skipped a group, Fletch. Group 4 is super suckers like me who not only subscribe to bands, but are rabid surround collectors, as well.

I would also be in group 2, but I've backed on on vinyl. The Lirpa Vinyl Vixen in my car began mistracking with the increase of potholes. Time to increase the tracking force to 28.7g. It provides better tracking and allows you to play both sides without flipping the record.

Linda

Message sent

I would like to offer a suggestion on how to market re-issues. And as an example I will hold up the latest issue of Aqualung on how not to reissue an album.
First of all there are three types of collectors
1) There are those who collect everything by a band they will buy the Aqualung box set as it’s by their favourite band.
2) There are collectors of vinyl who love the crackle and pop and but analogy sound that comes from vinyl. They generally don’t want CDs and DVDs and are not that bothered about surround sound. They would probably buy this if it came at a cheaper price and without all the other fluff CDs DVDs and Blu rays !!!
3) There is the surround collector, the rabid surround fan who will normally buy anything with a surround mix but does not want the vinyl and to be honest is not over bothered with the CD (Stereo).

Both fans in groups 2 and 3 may well have brought this I know I would if it was the vinyl and the DVDs were separate, but together there is too much high cost and too much redundancy in the package.
I would like to point you to Robert Fripp and King Crimson who seem to be understand the market better, In the court of the Crimson King came in a mega deluxe 6 disc box set which included the surround as well as a two disc CD and DVDA set for the less adventurous, and finally a separate Vinyl edition for those who like snap crackle and pop (Three editions and maximum market penetration) he seems to be able to make hi rez and surround pay.
It’s probably too late to actually fix this issue but I would just like to say that this is a missed opportunity for me and I don’t have the disposable income to cover such a large box with so much built in redundancy.

also come to mind releases by Porcupine Tree. everyone can choose their prefered format - BD, DVDA, CD, Vynil or flac downloads.
that's advantages of small labels - less stupidity, more flexibility in adaptation to markets. even such big label like Universal did optimal
solution with reissue of the Rush and i hope sales will justify their decision.
damn, one of the latest my big and expensive purchase of box-set with Genesis which consist 5 albums + 1 extra previously unreleased,
13 SACD and ADVD discs in total, cost me cheaper even after extra charges from government, custom and postal services, than asked
price for this one with single album in decent sound on BD only.

You skipped a group, Fletch. Group 4 is super suckers like me who not only subscribe to bands, but are rabid surround collectors, as well.

I would also be in group 2, but I've backed on on vinyl. The Lirpa Vinyl Vixen in my car began mistracking with the increase of potholes. Time to increase the tracking force to 28.7g. It provides better tracking and allows you to play both sides without flipping the record.

Linda

Linda, I know you said you've backed out on vinyl now, but what was your liking of 'modern' vinyl releases or your attraction to the format?

Also, are modern LP's as heavily normalized and limited as their digital equivalents? I ask because, besides the point that collecting LP's is just fun, from a accurate reproduction standpoint, they're the pits - and if they are just as normalized and limited as the digital releases, as part of the stupid "loudness wars", then except for the fun of collecting, I don't 'get' it. LP's without extensive pre/post processing, such as dbx II NR and tracing pre-distortion, are just too inaccurate and do not represent the master tape well at all. And if someone likes the added coloration and inaccuracy of the LP format, then it can easily be added to a more accurate version - as a small example, an LP's flaws can be simulated digitally by adding, say, a phase error that varies with frequency, or for those who don't use a PC for music in any manner, they can use outboard gear, such as an Aphex Aural Exciter, to add the 2nd harmonic distortion that LP's can have buckets of, etc... To me, high fidelity is about matching the master recording (and don't get me wrong, I'm not giving digital releases a free pass - most modern digital music releases ain't 'hi-fi' in any sense of the word - for truly high fidelity, non-limited, sound nowadays, its movie soundtracks on BD and DVD, which is very sad if you think about it - and I try not to. Also, I'm not giving myself a free pass either - I like some very non-high-fidelity sound coloration's sometimes; dbx expansion, at low-levels of expanding around 1.2, can add a neat coloration to the sound that I find particularly attractive. And the original SRS process; it doesn't match the master recording at all, but I like what it does on some recordings.)

I do have to say that, high-fidelity concerns aside, LP's are 'neat' in a way that CD's, DVD's and BD's are not - we can't just make/cut/press our own LP's (LaserDisc's are the same way to me) - any CD or DVD can easily be copied losslessly, so having the 'original' doesn't mean anything to me. (which makes me think that the insane sums asked for some CD's, DVD audios and SACD's are so crazy - a bit-for-bit copy is the same as the original and I can usually make better artwork than the original. So, except in very rare cases, there's no "value" to the original CD/DVD/BD, like there is with an LP or LD.)

I really always thought that one company would stay around to make custom or low-orders of LaserDisc's, even after the format was officially discontinued - I thought it would continue the way LP's have - and in many respects, like making the mothers and stampers, etc... the two processes are similar, I thought one of the LP manufacturers would step up to the plate to make very limited editions of certain titles on LD - and they company would be used by someone like The Criterion Collection - when a select new DVD was announced, they'd announce an LD release of it, requiring pre-paid pre-orders - and only if they reached some break-even goal would the disc be pressed - otherwise the money would be refunded.

BTW, Linda, (you probably already know all about this) don't make fun of an LP record player for the car - it's not really a Lirpa-type system! Remember, Peter Goldmark, head inventor at CBS (and pre-NTSC field-sequential color television inventor - plus the 8mm film & flying spot scanner based EVR format before videocassettes) invented the Highway Hi-Fi system and it actually worked well - growing up we had a neighbor that had an old car (Chrysler, I think) with one in it and the Highway Hi-Fi record player still worked perfectly - it wouldn't skip when driving over, even very deep, potholes or anything. The records were 10-inches and played at 16-RPM - in fact, that's where the 16-RPM speed comes from. The system never made it to the stereo era because the car dealerships didn't want to stock the discs and Columbia wouldn't sell the records to regular Hi-Fi or department stores. Kind of like LaserDisc went through in its very early days.

I thought 16 RPM was only used on radio/transcription discs. I learned something. I own 1/3 as many hunks of wax (4,000 ish) as CD's. Since I worked for Pacific Stereo, which was owned by CBS, I got lots of promo vinyl. Many compilations, live and interview stuff that never was released commercially. Some killer Dylan, McCartney, Springsteen, Loggins and Santana LP's and CD's. Got lots of MoFi, Telarc, Nautilus and Sheffield promos, too. Some were test pressings in plain white covers. Had lots of friends that owed me favors at other labels and record stores that filled my promo pipeline. (no jokes here, boys) I'll give you employee price on hardware, if you'll do that for me with music. Reciprocity!

I've bought lots of vinyl in recent years, but have limited it to mono reissues, titles not available on CD, and the ocassional OOP title I didn't already own. There is a warmth about vinyl, especially through Ortofon moving coil. To my ears, most CD's don't sound as good. Advanced res ususally sounds better than vinyl and is the best of both worlds.

I had a friend in Chicago named Jim Stagg. For you Chicagoans, he was a DJ and program director at WCFL, famous for being the first DJ in Chi to interview Beatles on air. Later, he owned a local chain called Record City, killer record stores. They also had 2 stores in Orlando, FL. Like a local J&R Music World. Jim sold me things at cost and gave me full credit on any return, if not OOP. Turned much of my vinyl into CD. I miss those days! Sadly, Jim passed a couple years ago and Record City is gone. If one of his employees cashed a stylus because they were "scratching," I'd come to the rescue and provide a free cartridge out of my own pocket and mount it, too. (no jokes here, either, please)

Vinyl isn't my format of choice. Some vinyl re-releases are done well. Many are just the old stampers, pressed on thicker vinyl. Others are well done and even two record sets of old single album titles, remastered at 45RPM. Yes, they sound better. With as busy as I am, I'd rather own a CD for most things. It insures I'll play it in places where there's no turntable.

And Record City stocked ALL the Tull titles. Got to stick to the thread's subject.

Linda

Let's just hope the next Jethro Tull release won't be Thick as a Brick. I meant the size of the Box, not the title of the next release ! ;) Or has that joke already been told. :eek:

Hopefully, smarter heads will prevail and we'll get a CD/BR release eventually for a fair price. We want to support the artist and own a collector's item. But for the price of this box you could buy 2 new Blu-Ray players.

Or a nice Q8 Deck! LOL!!

Linda
Jumpin' for Jethro

Let's just hope the next Jethro Tull release won't be Thick as a Brick. I meant the size of the Box, not the title of the next release ! ;) Or has that joke already been told. :eek:

Hopefully, smarter heads will prevail and we'll get a CD/BR release eventually for a fair price. We want to support the artist and own a collector's item. But for the price of this box you could buy 2 new Blu-Ray players.

amazon just bluffing.

What's the point? Going from pre-order to out of stock most probably is a glitch, it keeps on happening.

i assume pre order sales not as good as vendors had expected.

Sales rank for it is between 2000 & 3000 presently, not bad considering it's a pricey box & still 2.5 months away from release.

amazon just bluffing. i assume pre order sales not as good as vendors had expected.

Nope; I just spoke with an Amazon representative and she said they underestimated potential sales, didn't order enough, and their initial shipment is already spoken for. Now they are trying to get a second batch. She didn't say how many units were in the initial order.

"Let's make a larger profit margin on those who can't live without it and are the first to preorder."

Lately these box sets have been increasing in price since the initial preorder announcement. However, Amazon always guarantees the lowest price posted during the preorder period starting from the time you place your order. So; it always makes sense to order early; as you can cancel if it shows up cheaper elsewhere.

More of the same. ;)

http://www.themortonreport.com/ente...llectors-edition-40th-anniversary-box-import/

Jethro Tull Classic Aqualung Arrives In A UK Collector's Edition 40th Anniversary Box Import
Steven Wilson remixed set will also be made available as a two-CD Digipak offering.
By Matt Rowe, Columnist
August 22, 2011 1:30 PM

Jethro Tull, like many bands of the ‘60s and ‘70s, created solid classics that have endured. Aqualung is one such album. Released back in 1971, Aqualung’s largely acoustic songs tell great tales of Aqualung the wanderer, who "eyes little girls with bad intent," and Cross-Eyed Mary, who gets gawked by Aqualung "through the railings" as she plays in a playground. While the album might lead you to believe that it’s a concept album with characters crossing songs, Ian Anderson (vocalist, flutist) would prefer you believed otherwise.

With its iconic cover and the classic FM favorite, “Locomotive Breath,” Aqualung was a hit right from the start. With sales in the millions, the record easily became one of Jethro Tull’s greatest albums. It is with no surprise that the album is revisited from time to time with new remastering and celebrative anniversary sets with extra songs (25th anniversary edition was released in 1996).

As recently as June, it was ‘leaked’ that Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) had completed a remix of the album for a planned 40th anniversary set, which had been rumored for a September release. With much of the Tull forums lighting up with the news, the album reissue became hotly anticipated.

In some circles, there is clear news of what will make up the reissue. And it’s a whopping package to be sure. According to an unclear Amazon date, the two versions that will be released are scheduled for November 8 (as an import title to the US) while Amazon UK lists the title for October 31 for that part of the world. Amazon has botched it by listing the 40th Anniversary set for 2010 instead of the obvious 2011. But the real treat is in knowing what is being made available. The actual dates can sort themselves out later although Amazon has the title for pre-order now.

The larger set of Aqualung is a treasure trove of assorted musical gems. The Collector’s Edition Box of will contain new stereo and 5.1 surround mixes. But the goodness expands as the set issues not only the original album on one CD, but also a second disc of collected ‘70/’71 sessions tracks, early versions, and a US radio spot. An included DVD will contain the anticipated DTS 5.1 Surround 96kBps/24-bit mix of the entire album as well as new higher quality 96/24 stereo mixes of all of the bonus music found on the second CD. More bonuses come in the inclusion of the original quad mix on the audio DVD in 96/24 DTS, and 48/24 Dolby.

If the two CDs and the DVD filled with 5.1 mixes and higher quality stereo mixes weren’t enough, there will be an added Blu-ray disc (BD) which will contain all of the tracks found on the DVD plus an additional set of original album track mixes as a high resolution 96/24 flat transfer. The original quad mix will gain an additional mix with DTS-HD Master Audio on the BD.

A 12” by 12” 48-page hard-bound box will be included in the box set. With photos, lyrics, a 6,000 word essay, memoirs from band members, Steven Wilson notes on the new Aqualung mixes, line-up notes, 1970/1971 tour chronology, scans of the original tape boxes, an unreleased Ian Anderson interview, and two Q&A sets, the book promises to be complete.

To round out the box, a 180-gram weight LP of the new stereo mix is packed in. The LP will be housed in a reproduction of the original gatefold jacket.

If that’s too much Aqualung for you (and for some it is), then there is the accessible two-CD digipak set for you to consider. The CDs are simply the new stereo mixes and the collection of bonus tracks, with the inclusion of a 36-page booklet.

Rumor has it that Thick As A Brick, released in 1972, will get its 40th anniversary package in 2012.

I think I have to view this like a Bear Family box set - optimum quality with a few tracks that I really want, and a load of others that mean rather less to me. That blu-ray disc is obviously a stellar example of how it should be done - the lumping in with a load of other stuff is a pain.

What's the point? Going from pre-order to out of stock most probably is a glitch, it keeps on happening.
Sales rank for it is between 2000 & 3000 presently, not bad considering it's a pricey box & still 2.5 months away from release.
this isn't auctioneer but retailers, who's make profit on sales volume.
the simplest law of sales - if demand exist, use the moment and sell as much as you can, particularly when supplies can be limitless.
the closest example sales on pre orders is Rush DVDA
when Rush in ranking moved to top 5 amazon bestsellers in music, price was dropped from $20 to under $15 to boost sales even more.
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #4,986 in Music (See Top 100 in Music) - present statistic for this release of JT box-set.
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #281 in Music (See Top 100 in Music) - PF-DSOTM (also expensive)
the point is - if pre-order sales less than expected, then let's make impression they are better by rising the price and then dropping them down to what it was. it's just psychological marketing move.

Nope; I just spoke with an Amazon representative and she said they underestimated potential sales, didn't order enough, and their initial shipment is already spoken for. Now they are trying to get a second batch. She didn't say how many units were in the initial order.
i don't buy this. she is employee and has her paycheck from amazon thus should tell what in best interest of her employer.
till november 1 still plenty of time to place the orders to manufacturer. maybe nothing has been printed yet at all :)

anyway, if EMI wanted to make money, eventually price will go down and most likely will offer separate regular retail issue,
could be ADVD+CD as they did with Barclay, James and Harvest not so far ago or may be even BD+CD.

Back