Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A must have! :cool: Though the one I really love is "I Robot" so one can but hope it gets the 5.1 treatment - as well as all the others!:banana::banana:

The article also states that Alan is considering a tour to promote the reissue. I'd certainly go see him if he was going to play the whole album in concert. (Although I'm not sure how he'd pull off "The Fall of the House of Usher" unless he brought an orchestra along!)

The first thing I thought is that Alan is using touring to promote this and perhaps future 5.1 releases.

1. We know BM(Big Music) has no interest in releasing his work(Alan has been quoted as saying so.)
2. Alan's music is still loved and he has no problems selling tix for live performances.

So I think that Alan is thinking outside the box and he is drumming up interest in a 5.1` releases by touring.

That is a great way to publicize any reissue campaign, I would think.

As far as which edition of Tales... It all comes from the original multi-track so I guess it depends which multis are available.

Another possible explanation is that Alan was lurking here, saw the "Save the Tales" thread and assumed we meant Tales of Mystery, LOL.

Quite frankly Alan Parsons has tremendous support here. I dare say he is like Pink Floyd in that pretty much anybody on this forum would love the chance to buy his music in 5.1. AP in surround was like the last missing piece. Most bands that call for surround have been offered, if only one or two records. To get Alan Parsons in surround is truly monumental in terms of surround. He's kinda like the Mother Ship.

@edison: search the forum laddie! You'll easily find Alan Parsons - On Air. It is a masterful surround recording and is a must have, like it has been said, Try Anything Once is his best since the 1970's(IMHO) but On Air is excellent as well and came out directly after Try Anything Once.

I would have no problem including Try Anything Once in the category with:

Tales..
I Robot
Pyramid
Eye In The Sky
Turn Of A Friendly Card

Wow, I just can't contain myself. What FABULOUS news. :music

Quite frankly Alan Parsons has tremendous support here. I dare say he is like Pink Floyd in that pretty much anybody on this forum would love the chance to buy his music in 5.1.

This is certainly true. The APP catalog is often discussed here as a top wishlist item for many on this forum. Alan occupies that rare position of being both an artist whose music is ideal for surround as well as a fantastic surround sound producer. He's Pink Floyd and Elliot Scheiner wrapped in one body! So certainly any of his albums remixed into surround has the potential to be amazing.

Looking at the album on iTunes I noticed that it is currently distributed by Universal. I think this is good news since their recent surround sound releases have been available on Blu-ray so with any luck we won't be looking at a lossy version as the only option.

I wonder if it will be digital, I spoke with Alan Parsons after a Beatles Ed Sullivan anniversary showing and he said that the future of music seems to be in downloads it's just hard to have a high resolution surround download. I specifically mentioned HD tracks is possibly a place that might do that. I wonder if he's going physical format or digital? For the record, he made it clear that he loved surround and wishes it had become a more viable format.

i remember in about 2007 or so how much i was frustrated by his 3 DVD-As with outstanding sound but absence of surround.
don't know but i'm since suspecting his albums already have been mixed into surround long time ago and just dusting somewhere in closet.

I wonder if it will be digital, I spoke with Alan Parsons after a Beatles Ed Sullivan anniversary showing and he said that the future of music seems to be in downloads it's just hard to have a high resolution surround download. I specifically mentioned HD tracks is possibly a place that might do that. I wonder if he's going physical format or digital? For the record, he made it clear that he loved surround and wishes it had become a more viable format.

This is not directed at you (at all) Bender.. just that is a slightly bittersweet comment at the end there, imho.. in that he "wishes it had become a more viable format", I mean.

There's no need for wishful thinking on Alan Parson's part, surround music is viable! Steven Wilson has proven as much - if it gets released in the first instance..
we can't buy this surround stuff if "they" don't put it out there.. blah blah! :)

(maybe I should just jot down variations on that theme on my clipboard and cut and paste them into discussions, its a recurring self-fulfilling old chicken and egg thing isn't it.. :eek: )

to be fair, I do wonder if Alan Parson's experience with labels and surround (which has from what we can gather been rather negative for quite some years = lack of interest/desire to stump up the cash at some point, seemingly?) over the years possibly adds to his somewhat downbeat demeanour on the subject now.. I dunno.. maybe now he has a label or someone at that label who GETS IT..!!

maybe his previously released surround work will see a reissue now? I mean we're talking about a DTS CD from 17 years ago that not many have ever heard of (sadly) and a DualDisc (pah! spit!) that now goes for megabucks (I bet few people have ever heard it, let alone heard of it, rarer than rocking horse shit that Valid Path DualDisc.. pah.. spit..!) :D

I've actually never listened to this, but I'm extremely interested in the 5.1. I think this will make an excellent pairing with my Vincent Price/Roger Corman blu-ray collection.

and a DualDisc (pah! spit!) that now goes for megabucks (I bet few people have ever heard it, let alone heard of it, rarer than rocking horse shit that Valid Path DualDisc.. pah.. spit..!) :D
i got this one from amazon pretty cheap, not remember exact price but something like $10-13 and actually was in doubt if it worth since it has DTS/DD streams only.
it doesn't makes any sense for such limitation as it was released by Immergent which was subsidiary of 5.1 Entertainment Group and they never had the problems to do DVD-As

Back