Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...it just changed within the last 15 minutes...I'm glad I got that importcds price of $18.20 yesterday...interesting how these companies play these games with us...like teasing a dog with raw meat...

WOW $18.20 is basically free. (y)

But, in general, I can't help but be amazed over how much we get excited over saving/spending a few more dollars. Like everybody, I am excited when I get a large discount on any 5.1 release or deluxe box but at the same time I will also be willing to spend "whatever" on a disc I'd like to see in surround but hasn't come out yet. :confused:

Example, I would pay dearly for:

Pink Floyd - Animals
Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall
Alan Parsons - Pyramid

But as soon as they are announced for sale, I want them at bargain basement prices. :rolleyes:

WOW $18.20 is basically free. (y)

But, in general, I can't help but be amazed over how much we get excited over saving/spending a few more dollars. Like everybody, I am excited when I get a large discount on any 5.1 release or deluxe box but at the same time I will also be willing to spend "whatever" on a disc I'd like to see in surround but hasn't come out yet. :confused:

Pink Floyd - Animals
Alan Parsons - Pyramid

But as soon as they are announced for sale, I want them at bargain basement prices. :rolleyes:

For me..."the chase" is a lot of the fun in this hobby...that's ONE of the reasons I like physical discs...you research the title...you search for the best price...you track the shipping...you let your buds on the forum know you have received it..you evaluate it....as opposed to the instant gratification of a download:(..I'm the same way on spending...I try to get the best buying situation(not always price) for these new releases...but when it's something out of print that I want...I will pay whatever it takes to get it...

DennisMoore Jr.;288783[B said:
]WOW $18.20 is basically free.[/B] (y)

Pink Floyd - Animals
Alan Parsons - Pyramid

Think about this...if importcds can sell some of these for $18.20 and still make a profit...how about some of the boutique shops and their prices...like THIS ONE

Damn, should have ordered from ImportCDs at $18.20 but hesitated because I use Paypal which means I pay now. Have heard just enough horror stories about advance buys and cancelled orders etc with these guys that I was afraid to take the leap.
Think I'll stick with Amazon UK, $22.60USD after VAT removal but before shipping

you say that now about Stand Up untill you here what Wilson The Wizard will do !

Who are you responding to? Me?
If so, to clarify what I mean, I certainly don't think that "Stand Up" will sound bad in surround. I think it will be very good, probably as good as "Benefit" is, but like "Benefit", I doubt it will sound as good in surround as albums like "Thick as a Brick", "A Passion Play", and "Minstrel in the Gallery" have. The latter three recordings mentioned just have the benefit (pardon the pun, yet again) of the advances in recording technology on their side, and the clarity and separation of the recorded tracks of those three albums (and others) lend themselves more to surround than the very early albums. That's also why I'm greatly looking forward to "Songs from the Wood" and (to a lesser extent) "Heavy Horses" because the well-recorded arrangements should be great showcases for how good surround sound can be! :)

i mean no harm in that post , Wilson has done such a great Job with the Tull stuff that any more Tull we can get would be great ! Ive been a Tull Fan forever and never imagined that Their music would get the treatment , always wished it but never thought it would happen . And you are so right about Songs From The Wood , a very well recorded and layered album that will work well with surround . Heavy Horses is about where i got off the Tull path , still seeing Ian live but thats getting painful his voice is gone but still a genius on guitar and flute! if it stops at Heavy i will be very happy to have what i feel is the essential classic TULL !

i mean no harm in that post , Wilson has done such a great Job with the Tull stuff that any more Tull we can get would be great ! Ive been a Tull Fan forever and never imagined that Their music would get the treatment , always wished it but never thought it would happen . And you are so right about Songs From The Wood , a very well recorded and layered album that will work well with surround . Heavy Horses is about where i got off the Tull path , still seeing Ian live but thats getting painful his voice is gone but still a genius on guitar and flute! if it stops at Heavy i will be very happy to have what i feel is the essential classic TULL !

I know that. I was just further clarifying what I meant.
The plan right now is to finish up the deluxe reissue series with "Stormwatch", at least that's currently where SW is planning to finish up his involvement with the stereo and surround remixes. Will someone else pick up where he left off after that? Who knows. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I also wouldn't care that much if more remixes (after "Stormwatch") never came to pass either. It would all be lagniappe to me at that point. :)

I know that. I was just further clarifying what I meant.
The plan right now is to finish up the deluxe reissue series with "Stormwatch", at least that's currently where SW is planning to finish up his involvement with the stereo and surround remixes. Will someone else pick up where he left off after that? Who knows. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I also wouldn't care that much if more remixes (after "Stormwatch") never came to pass either. It would all be lagniappe to me at that point. :)

Someone needs to explain what a lagniappe is.:confused:

All that being said, with respect to later Tull releases not being as desireable, "Crest of a Knave" is no slouch.

Someone needs to explain what a lagniappe is.:confused:

All that being said, with respect to later Tull releases not being as desireable, "Crest of a Knave" is no slouch.

"Lagniappe" means 'something given as a bonus or extra gift.'
And that's essentially what any Jethro Tull remixes would be for me if they remixed any more of their albums following "Stormwatch". It's extra.
It's not necessary or expected, but if they offer it, I'll take it. :)

Listening to the MFSL version of Stand Up again yesterday and it just makes me excited for Wilson's remix later in the year as the album is certainly worthy of a few improvements. For example, Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square where I find the vocals a little quiet IMO. Bouree too I'm looking forward to hearing with his involvement as well.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Listening to the MFSL version of Stand Up again yesterday and it just makes me excited for Wilson's remix later in the year as the album is certainly worthy of a few improvements. For example, Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square where I find the vocals a little quiet IMO. Bouree too I'm looking forward to hearing with his involvement as well.

Great points! I'm interested to see how he'll approach the panning on songs like "Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square" and "For A Thousand Mothers". The vocals are hard right in the original stereo mix, so will he bring them to the center for his remixes or keep them on the right and just bring them in a little more? The same thing on "Back to the Family". The vocals lean a little to the left, but it's less obvious on that track.
Obviously I still have my reservations for how this album will come off in surround just cause of its vintage, but I'm very certain that the stereo remix will be a huge improvement over what we currently have now. :)

So eager for this release - perhaps one of the most anticipated releases of the year so far. :)

I assume you're talking about "Stand Up", right?
I'm still not as excited for that one as I am for "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses".
However, Ian Anderson played a lot of great songs from the "Stand Up" era at the concert I went to recently, including a little bit of "Bouree", "A New Day Yesterday", and STELLAR versions of "Back to the Family" and "Living in the Past". (The former really caught me by surprise, and the latter was a fan favorite that had everyone really enjoying themselves.)

:)

Actually here's a great live recording of "Back to the Family" from a recent show:
[video=youtube;DSXy7Y1m26s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSXy7Y1m26s[/video]

:)

Back