Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES. Marshall did inquire about a quad master tape for "So What" and it was not available, found, located, or even confirmed as ever existing. The only evidence we will ever have is the Koss Demo Disc.

I love how it's always an ambiguous answer and never anything definitive like: "Damaged", "Unusable", "Lost", "Unaccounted For", "Incomplete", etc.
Always left for interpretation probably due to either liability issues (like getting sued if the artist learns the company lost or damaged a tape), or they just love dangling the carrot giving us hope.

Problem is, the clock is ticking, for both the tapes and the market for these recordings. Strike now while the iron is still luke warm.

Well we do have documented proof that 2 1/2 of the ABC Command Quadraphonic Steely Dan Albums had safety reel copies sold on eBay recently, for large dollars, and the question would be - Were these stolen? Were these legit? Were these actual masters? and lastly, where did they come from?

If these were "out there", than maybe more of them are as well. How they make their way to eBay, and how they are allowed to be sold, is another question altogether.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-these-studio-safety-tapes-!&highlight=steely

Well we do have documented proof that 2 1/2 of the ABC Command Quadraphonic Steely Dan Albums had safety reel copies sold on eBay recently, for large dollars, and the question would be - Were these stolen? Were these legit? Were these actual masters? and lastly, where did they come from?

If these were "out there", than maybe more of them are as well. How they make their way to eBay, and how they are allowed to be sold, is another question altogether.

Three and a half. Don't forget the Quad Master for Three Dog Night's 'Coming Down Your Way' with unreleased songs on it.

dscn6854jh1.jpg

These tapes I believe to be Studio Masters as they're housed in cardboard boxes and very intricately labelled. Those Steely Dan ones had plastic carry-cases and very little labeling which I'm fairly certain means they were sent to duplication houses. All these albums would've been sent to General Recorded Tape (GRT) as they were all ABC titles. Makes you wonder if the Steely Dan ones were snuck out the back door when GRT shut down.

wow, really scraping the barrel with those releases.

One step away from "Ridin' High with Ethel Merman".

Thing is, I guess I'm ok with what we got. Truth be told, we did get some pretty heavy Quad albums:
The Doors, The Guess Who, Bread, Sly & the Family Stone, Loggins & Messina and the unreleased Laura Nyro.

Six heavy hitters out of the 28? titles they released? Not bad.

[video=youtube_share;QmBwdeF50N8]https://youtu.be/QmBwdeF50N8[/video]

"'tis better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.."
(Alfredblue Lord Tennyson)

:upthumb

btw I don't think AF "failed" at all, they did some amazing surround stuff.. I just wish they hadn't stopped when they did.. or at least finished off with the last few they had licences for but didn't include the Quad (WR, RTF, BS&T Hits).. ah well, maybe they will do some more one day.. meantime, who will pick up the mantle for us Quaddies..!?

There are still some M/C discs coming FOR SURE. Marshall just ran two titles by me for my thoughts.

I let him know what I thought about them. (I hope that didn't tick him off!) ;)

Hopefully there is more hard rock in the mix ? I'm getting really stretched out with all this jazz and soft rock.

There are still some M/C discs coming FOR SURE. Marshall just ran two titles by me for my thoughts.

I let him know what I thought about them. (I hope that didn't tick him off!) ;)

Good that they are looking at things and exploring options, and good that (you hinted) if it is not a hot album, hot Q mix, and with hot commercial potential than you would state a thumbs down.

They need nothing less than 5 Star titles for Q 4.0 now.

I'm thinking that if Herbie Hancock and BOC did well, they should do another of each like they did with EW&F. If either of those did not do as well as hoped, then pass on that.

Hopefully there is more hard rock in the mix ? I'm getting really stretched out with all this jazz and soft rock.

you're in luck to a certain extent, not a lot of Quad Jazz got released by Columbia or RCA..
and they're the two main labels I guess AF have access to via Sony at this time?

even if AF still had access, Warners had v.little Jazz Quad afaik (that saw release anyway!)..

..it was really those defunct labels now under Universals' auspices, like ABC/Impulse etc., that had any kind of quantity of Jazz Quads.. and that wasn't a humungous amount by any means.. and you can probably rule them out on the basis that the Quad master tapes are most likely missing (and then there's some were probably just Stereo despite them being billed as Quad but that's a different matter I guess)..

soft rock though.. bit more of that in Quad AF could plunder, I imagine.. ;)

mind you I've said it on here a couple of times.. if you really stand back and look at what AF have "left" that has a real chance of working out for them in Quad its not really a huge list of contenders, I feel,

I mean, for every Average White Band Quad you had 3 Tony Orlando's.. so if you say there's a thousand Quads at AF's disposable you can set aside 750 of them straight away (just IMHO..!!!) :eek:

Good that they are looking at things and exploring options, and good that (you hinted) if it is not a hot album, hot Q mix, and with hot commercial potential than you would state a thumbs down.

I'm thinking that if Herbie Hancock and BOC did well, they should do another of each like they did with EW&F. If either of those did not do as well as hoped, then pass on that.

well the two Herbie's you've got left are Sextant (amazing quad mix, musically the least accessible of his Quads I would say but I'd love it if they did reissue it) and Secrets (fab album.. but is it even real Quad!?) so either one is probably off the AF table..

BOC's Tyranny & Mutation Quad = no brainer imho..

EWF Spirit Quad = ditto (fabulous in every respect.. really if AF have a shot at Spirit they should strongly consider it for Surround SACD!)

Man - I vote for something totally different. I'd like a different artist all together. Nothing more exciting that getting a new QUAD SACD from an artist that hasn't been offered yet. :)

Another hint! Fly on the Wall. OK, so they're gonna release some AC/DC! LOL! No, no they aren't. So many things they could have up their sleeves. :confused:

nope.. I know nothing - literally - about what AF are upto.. believe me if I had had Marhsall Blonstein's ear there are a number of things I would have suggested AF do differently with their surround programme.. but what's done is done and in the interests of fairness they have done a lot more right than they have got wrong, imho.. they've pulled off some multichannel miracles among a couple of missteps.. and they have more surround on the horizon from what Jon has said, so it will be interesting to see what comes down the pipe.. I will say however, if their next surround releases are of lower tier artists or less marketable albums if the titles don't sell I feel they only have the choices they've made rather than Surround to blame for any future flops.

I would prefer some heavier rock titles myself..........but wouldn't say no to some quad from Miles Davis .(y)

All in good time . No rush. Might be nice to get some of the "shelved" quad titles from Warner, maybe Street Party by BOA.

I would prefer some heavier rock titles myself..........but wouldn't say no to some quad from Miles Davis .(y)

All in good time . No rush. Might be nice to get some of the "shelved" quad titles from Warner, maybe Street Party by BOA.

Miles Davis = Quadblocked by MFSL, no?

Black Oak Arkansas bit of a tough sell now maybe.. but why not! If its unreleased Quad I'm in :)

Back