SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the Oppo and Pioneer models that are capable of doing SACD rips, which one is the cheapest? I'd be using it solely as a ripper, not a playback machine so it doesn't need any features in particular, and doesn't need to be a new model as I'm happy to buy used if necessary.

Already gone through two 'fat' PS3's that have the 'yellow light of death' and would rather put a bit of money in to a new(er) machine rather than try and have a 10 year old PS3 repaired.

I picked up a Pioneer Elite bdp-80f for $155 used on Ebay, and it works perfect.

To me the best features of the 103 and 105 are 1) their ability to have mujtiple hard drives attached to them with 2 GB partitions. Currently I have 4 x 4 TB = 16 TB drives attached (with the resulting 8 x 2 GB partitions). Access is flawless. 2) the ability to rip SACD.

Last edited:
To me the best features of the 103 and 105 is 1) their ability to have mujtiple hard drives attached to them with 2 GB partitions. Currently I have 4 x 4 TB = 16 TB drives attached (with the resulting 8 x 2 GB partitions). Access is flawless. 2) the ability to rip SACD.
Ability to rip SACD...How ?...Cheers..

Nothing published but the USB out to the exaSound DAC is superior to the HDMI out to the Oppo, particularly with hi-rez DSD or PCM. Not that the 105 is a slouch.

For Multichannel DSD and PCM, the exaSound e28 (or now the e38) is the next big step up for listeners. :)

That is the reason I mentioned the uncertainty with the price of used 103's. I'm not sure were gonna see any deep price drop.

I have an 83 SE. It can play ISO's burned to disk. The newer models cant do this.

The 103's and 105's can be used to extract SACD ISO files from disk. The older models (and so far the new 203) cant.

I do wonder if its capabilities like those that keep the price high on older models.

I assume we are talking SACD ISO here? My 105 certainly plays DVD-A ISO written to disc as well as DVD-V but not SACD-R (so-called) because this was removed at the express demand of Sony who said this has to go. Ditto BDMV folder support.
Also, with the 83SE (I have one of these too) I can hear a definite difference between DTS-HD and LPCM surround output, with all decoding being done in the player & outputting 6 channels in analogue. There is no audible difference on the 105 - very strange as the 83SE should be outputting lossless but it sounds like it is outputting core audio to me.

My 105 certainly plays DVD-A ISO written to disc as well as DVD-V

But this is no longer an ISO once it is written to a disc. It then takes it's original DVD structure that is contained within the ISO. As you probably know there is a way around playing a Blu-Ray "image" on the 103/105

If you want to see some wild crazy stuff, rip the old quad (5 channel) SACD of Tubular Bells, from 2000 or so , and check out the surround right channel of Part Two in a spectral viewer. All sorts of edits are visible, and some seriously loud (and only barely beyond the range of audible at 21-23khz) monitor or line buzz of several sorts:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm having deja vu. I've ripped so many SACD now, that I can't remember when I ask these questions. The 2 channel MOFI version of Bitches Brew will not be recognized by dsd2iso.

Whoops - hold on. Right when I was typing this I had a realization. I had rebooted my modem a couple days ago, and that reassigned a new IP address to the OPPO. I looked up the new address, edited that number in the dsd2iso program window and PRESTO. :banana:

I went ahead and finished typing this out in case some of you are as NOOB as I am and wouldn't have thought of that. :mad:@::yikes

Just in case someone is using "The Animals - Retrospective" SACD to try and set up a SACD.iso burn... My copy errors out with sacd.extract. It is the only SACD so far that wouldn't work. Not a big deal for me but I imagined the hell someone could be going through if they happened to grab this SACD to try their first SACD.iso burning.

Just in case someone is using "The Animals - Retrospective" SACD to try and set up a SACD.iso burn... My copy errors out with sacd.extract. It is the only SACD so far that wouldn't work. Not a big deal for me but I imagined the hell someone could be going through if they happened to grab this SACD to try their first SACD.iso burning.

haha, nice. I have that title, but I chose to purchase the DSD download...so all is good for me. :)

Interesting finding, thanks. However, I can hardly imagine that the cause of this ripping error would be the special or wrong authoring/manufacturing of the disc. I rather believe it's your setup or the scratched disc.

Interesting finding, thanks. However, I can hardly imagine that the cause of this ripping error would be the special or wrong authoring/manufacturing of the disc. I rather believe it's your setup or the scratched disc.

There are a few SACDs where authoring errors have made ripping some of the tracks not possible.
I also have the Animals album on DSD Download from Acoustic Sounds. So no ripping of the SACD is needed here. :)

FWIW:

I had ripped the Animals Retrospective SACD without any problems a few months ago but had never listened to it.

I just tried it again and random playback suggests that the DSF files play just fine via Foobar.

Jim

There are a few SACDs where authoring errors have made ripping some of the tracks not possible.

Yes, you may be right. I recall that some stereo tracks of Paul van Dyk - Reflections SACD couldn't be properly ripped. Interestingly, the ripping process finished but ending with partly defective stereo tracks.

Yes, you may be right. I recall that some stereo tracks of Paul van Dyk - Reflections SACD couldn't be properly ripped. Interestingly, the ripping process finished but ending with partly defective stereo tracks.

There are a couple of others with authoring errors that can't be ripped completely.
The good news is it's a very small number of the SACDs out there with that issue.

I'll have to try The Animals again (after cleaning I guess). On a note the other way... My copy of the multiple mixes of Sympathy for the Devil always skipped on certain songs. The SACD.iso burn worked perfectly on the same disc.

I'll have to try The Animals again (after cleaning I guess). On a note the other way... My copy of the multiple mixes of Sympathy for the Devil always skipped on certain songs. The SACD.iso burn worked perfectly on the same disc.

Sympathy for the Devil SACD works fine here.

So - I'm thinking I still don't know why I can't seem to get the PCM volume adjustment to make one bit of difference in Foobar. When I rip to an .iso file. I always listen to the iso file first and even check the max decibels and then adjust the db in Foobar. I've had multiple SACD where the db are consistantly lower than I want. I even go for the max and tell it to adjust to +6db when converting to flac...but just doesn't make much, if any difference.

What the heck is going on I wonder? Is there some other Foobar setting that is overriding these potential adjustments?

Back