OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a crazy decision from Oppo?!? :eek: What are they going to do as a company now?!

Kind of like Nike saying 'after a good few years, we've decided to leave the sportswear business. We'll still provide compatible shoe lace updates.'

Oh well maybe they're making a double swerve and OPPO Analogue are lining up a new Q8 player?!

Wow. I am stunned. First B&K electronics goes down a decade or so ago. Now OPPO dies out. It seems all my favorite Hi-Fi companies are going under. Watch out Emotiva ...

I am happy to have my 105 D & it works great. I don't have any real plans to upgrade to 4K UHD as my Panasonic 8000 projector mates well with an 8 foot screen. Point being regular HD is the sweet spot for my room.

Dynaco, Hafler, Phase Linear,Fosgate we loved them then they went away. It's the mainstream biggies that seem to last forever. Even if it means being gobbled up by Harman Kardon.

Ouch. I went from the 980H to the BDP-93, but didn't choose the 203 when I went to 4k this year - there kept being lingering reports of buggy firmware problems that Oppo didn't seem able to address (I'm guessing Dolby Vision is working by now?). And then Sony undercut them in the market - for HDMI users the Sony X800 offered the same features as the Oppo 203 for literally half the price, missing only Dolby Vision support - and Sony's streaming support is superior.

The disc market is indeed drying up, and the price point for a disc transport Oppo started asking with the BDP-83 was indeed questionable - $170 for the 980H was a much easier ask than $500 for the blu-ray spinners. It was cheaper than the real audiophile stuff, but much more expensive than anything mainstream. And I guess there was no more room in between the two sectors.

Well... I just bought an OPPO UDP-203... I love my 103 so much, I just have to have a back-up... maybe I’ll join the elite QQers who have surround systems in multiple rooms! (I’ll at least test it and update the firmware before returning it to its cozy box to be rediscovered someday in my hour of need). Ah... I feel better now :)

Crutchfield, $560 + free shipping

Well... I just bought an OPPO UDP-203... I love my 103 so much, I just have to have a back-up... maybe I’ll join the elite QQers who have surround systems in multiple rooms! (I’ll at least test it and update the firmware before returning it to its cozy box to be rediscovered someday in my hour of need). Ah... I feel better now :)

Crutchfield, $560 + free shipping
Not a bad deal. I think Oppo is charging that same price but $18 for shipping to U.S.
I have the BDP-93 but have been looking at the 203. Now I feel a real sense of urgency to buy.
This whole situation bites. :(

Ouch. I went from the 980H to the BDP-93, but didn't choose the 203 when I went to 4k this year - there kept being lingering reports of buggy firmware problems that Oppo didn't seem able to address (I'm guessing Dolby Vision is working by now?). And then Sony undercut them in the market - for HDMI users the Sony X800 offered the same features as the Oppo 203 for literally half the price, missing only Dolby Vision support - and Sony's streaming support is superior.

The disc market is indeed drying up, and the price point for a disc transport Oppo started asking with the BDP-83 was indeed questionable - $170 for the 980H was a much easier ask than $500 for the blu-ray spinners. It was cheaper than the real audiophile stuff, but much more expensive than anything mainstream. And I guess there was no more room in between the two sectors.
Like you I also had the 980 then went to the 93. I gave my 980 to a friend and it's still going strong today.
I have been looking to upgrade to the 203 and at one point was considering the 205 but $1300 for a Blu-ray? I just can't justify that.

I was so happy replacing my sh*t Denon with an Oppo 203, then I bought a second hand 103 to be able to do SACD rips (still haven't got round to even doing one yet!), but felt Oppo were the best in the market so would stay in it. Once the 103 dies (which it will at some future time) then backing up SACDs becomes impossible, though compared to BD-As they seem more reliable as a format. I have cassettes (machine is now kaput though), Reel-to-Reel, and DAT tapes, and it has cost me a fortune to keep them in working order, analogue kit is easier to maintain than digital. It is ironic that vinyl is on a bit of an upward curve at present, and I can even play my late father's 78s. But I am slowly but surely heading the way of downloads, I have the NAS and play via the Oppo, but if I converted all my CD, DVD-A, SACD, BD-A collection to FLAC, it would need an enormous amount of NAS storage. Then you need the safety back-up, and the sensible way is Cloud storage, but that has a large yearly cost implication, and you run into upload/download speeds. So feeling a mixture of :cry::eek::mad::poop:

Maybe the end really is nearer than I thought.

I doubt it. LPs took a long time to die after the CD was introduced. Then they went zombie, and now after nearly 40 years of CD production, turntables are still being produced.

There are literally billions of CDs, billions of DVDs and blu-rays, and millions of SACDs and DVD-A's out there that are going to be around well beyond our lifetimes. Devices to play them on will continue to be produced in large numbers for a very long time.

No need to panic. Oppo has just decided (or rather, their parent company) to concentrate their resources on a more profitable market segment - cell phones.

Not a bad deal. I think Oppo is charging that same price but $18 for shipping to U.S.

I made the irresponsible decision to order a 203 this morning even though I really don't care about 4k. I'm in California, so the cost broke down to:

$549.00 - player
$ 12.00 - shipping
$ 39.80 - sales tax

$600.80 - total

This is terrible news.

Another sign of the times for physical media?

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

Further FAQ at the link above^^

This is really sad news. I probably should order a 203 just for protection, although it will take a bite out of my 2019 RDX savings pile!

I am afraid that more news like this will be the norm. Disc players will become oddities that are like turntables today. No one really needs one, but they'll be "nice to have". In looking back it all really happened fairly fast. CD -> LaserDisc -> DVD -> DVD-A/SACD -> BluRay(HD-DVD) and now we have streaming and file playing, licensing and subscription. Obsolete formats loved by the few, laughed at by the many. "You still have CDs???" :eek:

I do, and I have all of the others. Oh well, I'm old. :SG

Hmm, does this mean my old (mothballed for years now, since I began ripping files directly) DV-970 will be a collector's item? ;>

Per Jon:
I am afraid that more news like this will be the norm. Disc players will become oddities that are like turntables today. No one really needs one, but they'll be "nice to have".

It's a confusing situation. Just now on Media Player news I read this:
In a twist, sales of old-school music records in 2017 bested digital downloads for the first time since 2011, according to year-end data released March 22 by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

Shipments of physical product decreased 4% to $1.5 billion compared to 2016 – a lower rate of decline than in recent years. Sales digital downloads fell 25% to $1.3 billion.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/riaa-physical-record-sales-topped-digital-downloads-in-2017/

I'm sure streaming will be strong in the longest of the run. But thank you hipsters for keeping the record industry going for people like me.

Streaming has a strange deja vu to me. In a way Netflix has brought back channel surfing just like in the old days except thousands of channels are now available. I spend most of the evening just trying to decide what to watch.....

Back