I hate PayPal!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadanasaziland

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I've had a PP account since 02 but now in the last 2 months if I buy a couple of things in a day suddenly on ebay check out I cant check out using my bank account but they (PP) will process the payment if I use paypay credit......hum! I spent about $60 on a tee shirt and a dvd yesterday, today I did a BIN on $12 worth of Alpine audio decals, nope got to use your PP credit or enter my debit card (same card for my normal ebay/pp check out). So I call PP (2nd time now) ask for a super in the USA and I'm told that a security algorithm is blocking me and it will rest in a couple of days, " but thats ok MR Dave you can use your PP credit account till then you have a 12k limit". So I say to USA PP dude "but I dont want to use my PP credit for $12, WTF over! Crickets on the other end, hello are you there PP, yes and I dont know why the security algo is doing this to you. PP are you aware of this problem, "yes it has been happening alot lately" Well PP what are you doing about it? Again crickets! So I tell PP and ebay your losing my business to Amazon on retail stuff again crickets. Unfortunately there is stuff on ebay you just cant get else where. PP is trying to force me to use PP credit in hope they will be able to rack up some interest, it's not like there isn't 2 or 3 k in my checking/debit account at any given time. WTF!!! And ebay and PP are contractual till 2020, only till then will there be a chance at some alternatives for ebay sellers and buyer. I'm ready to list some nice gear on epay but then PP will get theirs and that sticks in my craw!!!

Last edited:
Actually, I thought that was mild compared to what he could have said....;):whistle:

I've had few hassles with PP over the years, and it was usually a stop payment because I had forgotten to update bank or card info, no fault on their end. As for their gaining interest on any money I have in my account, that's what banks do, kinda, so it doesn't bother me as long as my purchases go through without incident.

ED :rocks

Pardon me, but in all honesty, why does this need to be on QQ?
Enlighten me, I'm waiting...

:sneaky:

enlightening .. MOST of us use PP in transactions , especially for other members sales.. so it's good to know what they are up to...I know it is not "Quad/MCH"related but, definitely QQ related...
just my 2 cents..

Yeah Quad,

PP has a few scruples that sayyyyy if you contest a charge........bang you get a timeout whether it is from bank or credit.

I had that happen to me once about 5 years ago on a screwed up Ebay buy. Account was suspended while the dispute was active for about a week. It should clear up in a few days though, so hang in there :LB

I like PayPal!!!

I use it all the time...especially Pay Pal Credit's interest free plans and never pay any interest charges...it's a valuable tool if you use it correctly...and I get offers that exceed the published plans frequently...just like I use the amazon store card...I've purchased TV's and other electronic equipment with these interest free plans(y)

Paypal can be risky as a seller. Fairly safe to use as a buyer (and that's kind of their MO). If something goes wrong (and no matter which side the fault lies on), they like to hold on to your money. It's all bureaucracy and phone help reading from scripts - not dishonest per say but it can take a long time to play through even if everything turns out properly.

Whatever you do, don't use Paypal for anything that doesn't have a tracking number from shipping! Don't even consider using Paypal as a seller if you are hand delivering anything! If anything goes wrong, they ask you for the tracking number. If you don't have one "We're sorry, we can only help with shipments with a tracking number. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Make it a habit to move any funds from your Paypal account into your bank account the moment they come in.

Yeah Quad,

PP has a few scruples that sayyyyy if you contest a charge........bang you get a timeout whether it is from bank or credit.

I had that happen to me once about 5 years ago on a screwed up Ebay buy. Account was suspended while the dispute was active for about a week. It should clear up in a few days though, so hang in there :LB
Ya Snood it does reset but I just don't get why its happening. PP supervisor actually suggested I change my address to which I replied "so I should sell my house and buy a new one to clear this up" PP dude really said that. Crazy!

In this case I don't see a problem...if you have to put it on Pay Pal Credit by default and HAVE the money in your checking account it's just a few more keystrokes to pay it off....hardly worth a rant...
Ya for me it was the principle of the the thing. I wonder what would happen if I closed my PP credit account and only had my bank account as a pay source.

I hate what PayPal and eBay have become. I remember when eBay discouraged you from using PayPal (back before they bought them). Checks were the rage (remember those?). eBay was great 20 years ago. Now, it's part of the fabric but it's not the same.

I do understand that there were unscrupulous sellers that took advantage of unsuspecting buyers, but in order to remedy that they skewed the entire thing towards the buyer so that in essence the seller is at the mercy of the buyer. If the seller sells a rare SACD for $200 and the buyer claims they instead received a CD and wants their money back, and sends the seller back a CD, PayPal will refund the money to the buyer. That's just not fair.

There is no way to prove what was sent, what was received, and what was returned.

Ya for me it was the principle of the the thing. I wonder what would happen if I closed my PP credit account and only had my bank account as a pay source.

Well...all I can tell you is from my own experience...I gave up these "principle" battles years ago...I chose to adapt to change and not keep trying to "piss in the wind"...now some enjoy that spray that ends up in your face...but not me...you can go thru life lamenting your circumstances or when you are given lemons...make lemonade...I found it was more productive to take advantage of situations like this than cry and moan about them...I have used Pay Pal Credit for several years now and it's been awesome...anytime you can use someone else's money with no associated costs...I'm more than willing to do it...

I will tell you to get prepared for 2020...because if you think there is going to be some super alternative to Pay Pal....there isn't going to be one...

I hate what PayPal and eBay have become. I remember when eBay discouraged you from using PayPal (back before they bought them). Checks were the rage (remember those?). eBay was great 20 years ago. Now, it's part of the fabric but it's not the same.

I do understand that there were unscrupulous sellers that took advantage of unsuspecting buyers, but in order to remedy that they skewed the entire thing towards the buyer so that in essence the seller is at the mercy of the buyer. If the seller sells a rare SACD for $200 and the buyer claims they instead received a CD and wants their money back, and sends the seller back a CD, PayPal will refund the money to the buyer. That's just not fair.

There is no way to prove what was sent, what was received, and what was returned.
Ya Jon back then I did all my selling with payment by money order. And yes back then the sellers had a great deal more power if there was a dispute. I as you have, have sold and bought many thousands of dollars worth of audio stuff on ebay and until 2 months ago with out issue with PP.
This thing is just weird, when I could not check out normally I instead of using PP credit I entered my debit card that is the same account which PP processed and it went right thru. So I don"t get it!

Take pictures and document everything! It actually works.
I sometimes sell refurbished computers on Ebay. The scam targeting that is the buyer will remove the internal parts and replace them with broken versions. Then claim it arrived DOA and try to send the re-configured machine back for a refund while keeping the original parts. I inform them that if they return the machine it must contain the parts it was shipped with and that there is no possible way for them to find all the documented secret marks on literally every internal part. I then call Ebay/Paypal and inform them of what's going on and my suspicions of foul play. Three times now and just that successfully scared them away from even trying to send it back.

Take pictures and document everything! It actually works.
I sometimes sell refurbished computers on Ebay. The scam targeting that is the buyer will remove the internal parts and replace them with broken versions. Then claim it arrived DOA and try to send the re-configured machine back for a refund while keeping the original parts. I inform them that if they return the machine it must contain the parts it was shipped with and that there is no possible way for them to find all the documented secret marks on literally every internal part. I then call Ebay/Paypal and inform them of what's going on and my suspicions of foul play. Three times now and just that successfully scared them away from even trying to send it back.
I usually find that these freeloaders are easy to spot. There is usually something or the other fishy about them. I document everything that I sell also. I will usually avoid anybody with little or no feedback and or anybody who just signed up with an account. That seems to weed out most of the losers

Back