Billy Cobham - Spectrum AF 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Last edited:
Hey quicksrt, I saw that one also, I've got the DVD-A and am thinking of pulling the trigger :unsure: but still a big chunk of $$$! Also from Hong Kong:unsure:
Here's another good deal IMO:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Riteno...0:g:zSYAAOSwtn5cMhjG:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
There is a demand still for the DVD-A. So I would sell it and snatch up the SACD.

I sell on Amazon, so I list s few things here and there and then wait. Within three months I get my sale at my asking price. It's a slow but effective way to sell.

You know the SACD is the 70s quad mix right? DVD-A is later mix, not as highly rated.

Very good sale price....don't think I'm prepared to pay the asking price for the SACD version.
If you were to get $60 for your DVD-A, then $20 more and you'd of gotten your SACD. Next year at this time you may be really cryin' in your beer about having the chance at $80 and now everyone is demanding $175 or more for it. Some items go down and other up, and a few never come back down.

Hey quicksrt, I saw that one also, I've got the DVD-A and am thinking of pulling the trigger :unsure: but still a big chunk of $$$! Also from Hong Kong:unsure:
Here's another good deal IMO:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Riteno...0:g:zSYAAOSwtn5cMhjG:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Very good sale price....don't think I'm prepared to pay the asking price for the SACD version.

The Spectrum SACD is vastly superior to the DVD-A version....but no way I would pay that price for it...as much as I love it...it's not one you will play a lot...not as extreme as Bitches Brew(which is a once or twice a year experience for me).but not one that will get played a lot either....just because a disc is hard to find doesn't mean it's worth the price that is sometimes asked...this isn't one of those blockbuster titles that command the high price..be patient and I think you can find one from someone that has ripped the music to the drive and who just want's to get their money back for the disc...that's usually what happens on here...I sold mine to just get my money back....

The Spectrum SACD is vastly superior to the DVD-A version....but no way I would pay that price for it...as much as I love it...it's not one you will play a lot...not as extreme as Bitches Brew(which is a once or twice a year experience for me).but not one that will get played a lot either....just because a disc is hard to find doesn't mean it's worth the price that is sometimes asked...this isn't one of those blockbuster titles that command the high price..be patient and I think you can find one from someone that has ripped the music to the drive and who just want's to get their money back for the disc...that's usually what happens on here...I sold mine to just get my money back....

But you have to admit that double bass drum to start the disc off is pretty awesome.

But you have to admit that double bass drum to start the disc off is pretty awesome.

I'm not saying it's not an awesome disc...because it is...but it's not worth that price..IMO...and especially not on the forum where the seller can advertise for free and has no fees when he does sell it....it's just not a "wildly" popular title that commands that price..

I'm not saying it's not an awesome disc...because it is...but it's not worth that price..IMO...and especially not on the forum where the seller can advertise for free and has no fees when he does sell it....it's just not a "wildly" popular title that commands that price..

There's a couple of other things that need to be taken into account with the Spectrum disc- It's the only unreleased WEA quad mix ever to surface (the first track appeared on a European CD-4 LP back in the '70s), the last WEA title to be licensed by a reissue company, and it wasn't in print for very long. I remember it came out in early 2016 and was gone by the end of the year, if not sooner. I missed it when it came out originally and ended up paying $50 for a used copy on discogs last year.

I think they expected the Laura Nyro album also to sell-out because it was an unreleased title, but there have been conversions from both robin reel mixes floating around the internet for years. Some collectors probably thought the reel conversion was good enough (even though the mix on the AF is entirely different from both unreleased reels). Same thing happened with the Bitches Brew SACD, I'm sure. Why spend $50+ when you have a high quality reel transfer?

There's a couple of other things that need to be taken into account with the Spectrum disc- It's the only unreleased WEA quad mix ever to surface (the first track appeared on a European CD-4 LP), the last WEA title to be licensed by a reissue company, and it wasn't in print for very long. I remember it came out in early 2016 and was gone by the end of the year, if not sooner. I missed it when it came out originally and ended up paying $50 for a used copy on discogs last year.

I think they expected the Laura Nyro album also to sell-out because it was an unreleased title, but there have been conversions from both robin reel mixes floating around the internet for years. Some collectors probably thought the reel conversion was good enough. Same thing with the Bitches Brew SACD.

The problem with it is that the prospective audience/potential buyers for this title are almost just as "rare" as the disc itself...it's not mainstream jazz...it's fusion..and not just fusion...,it's a drum dominated version.so when you consider the group that would be interested in this type of recording it's quite narrow...and then to limit the field even more...it's multichannel..another subset that is a tiny niche...so numbers wise it's a niche within a niche...and those that would be interested in this title would probably frequent one of these forums... like this one or SHF...and they would have been aware of the offering and bought it...I'm sure there were other people like yourself that missed it...but are there enough of those people that are willing to pay $80 for a 2016 release....that's what I'm saying...not that it's not a great disc...but it's not as popular(in a selling perspective)as something like Avalon...even look at Bitches Brew...it can be had for $50+....

My DVD-A disc has a sentimental edge for me as it was one of the first surround discs I bought. I had quite a battle with a fellow bidder on eBay to obtain it. No I didn't end up paying silly money either. I bought it before the SACD version was released and for better or worse I made a conscious decision not to buy the new version. I respect all views on the different releases and yes if it pops up on my wish list, for a reasonable sum I may re-consider its purchase.
Peace and love to you all.😗😁

mousetrap.jpg

This discussion opens up a lot of doors for me. Everyone here has made excellent arguments for buy or not at $80. I've only played the DVD-A once since I bought it years ago (don't recall the amount.) It's just not that listenable to me, but like a piece of cheese in a trap I'm intrigued by what the SACD sounds like. On a financial/investment stance "quicksrt's" logic is still spot on, (also considering AF is now gone!) The elephant in the room for me is that the seller is in Hong Kong (China); although the photos on ebay look legit! For that reason I'd be tempted to pull the trigger and take a chance; but I'd have to open it and listen to it which would reduce the value some.
As far as the music itself, I'd be buying it to listen more closely to Tommy Bolin's parts (I liked his Teaser & Private Eyes albums.) As far as drummers go I'm more of a Dennis Chambers fan (although Cobham is a close second!) I once saw Dennis Chambers in concert as John McLaughlin's drummer; and was flabbergasted by Chambers performance, not McLaughlin. This is special because I've been playing the guitar now for 45 years (amateur only) and McLaughlin is a legend.
I've only paid $80 or more for an SACD 3 times (I have hundreds in collection) for "Just Like Me"; "Avalon", and "Toto IV", but I actually listen to all of those often and love the music on all.
So even though "quicksrt" may be exactly right, I'm not going for it because usually patience pays off for me finding good deals.
However, I'm pretty sure the "6 String Theory" I noted (which is still available, being sold in the U.S. with free shipping) is an even rarer and better deal than the Spectrum SACD;)

View attachment 37668

This discussion opens up a lot of doors for me. Everyone here has made excellent arguments for buy or not at $80. I've only played the DVD-A once since I bought it years ago (don't recall the amount.) It's just not that listenable to me, but like a piece of cheese in a trap I'm intrigued by what the SACD sounds like. On a financial/investment stance "quicksrt's" logic is still spot on, (also considering AF is now gone!) The elephant in the room for me is that the seller is in Hong Kong (China); although the photos on ebay look legit! For that reason I'd be tempted to pull the trigger and take a chance; but I'd have to open it and listen to it which would reduce the value some.
As far as the music itself, I'd be buying it to listen more closely to Tommy Bolin's parts (I liked his Teaser & Private Eyes albums.) As far as drummers go I'm more of a Dennis Chambers fan (although Cobham is a close second!) I once saw Dennis Chambers in concert as John McLaughlin's drummer; and was flabbergasted by Chambers performance, not McLaughlin. This is special because I've been playing the guitar now for 45 years (amateur only) and McLaughlin is a legend.
I've only paid $80 or more for an SACD 3 times (I have hundreds in collection) for "Just Like Me"; "Avalon", and "Toto IV", but I actually listen to all of those often and love the music on all.
So even though "quicksrt" may be exactly right, I'm not going for it because usually patience pays off for me finding good deals.
However, I'm pretty sure the "6 String Theory" I noted (which is still available, being sold in the U.S. with free shipping) is an even rarer and better deal than the Spectrum SACD;)

Wise decision on Spectrum...in regards to 6 String Theory...the problem with 6 String Theory isn't the quality...it's the fact that many of us bought those Monster Discs when they were only $10 on the Monster Web Site...so a lot of us have that title and the rest that decided against it are reluctant to reverse their decision for 6 times the original cost....I have it and I like it a lot...all the Monster Discs that I have purchased are excellent...better than their cables:eek:

Last edited:
Wise decision on Spectrum...in regards to 6 String Theory...the problem with 6 String Theory isn't the quality...it's the fact that many of us bought those Monster Discs when they were only $10 on the Monster Web Site...so a lot of us have that title and the rest that decided against it are reluctant to reverse their decision for 6 times the original cost....I have it and I like it a lot...all the Monster Discs that I have purchased are excellent...better than their cables:eek:

All good reasoning again Clint!!! I got lucky & paid $15 new & long OOP. But if I were to sell my opened copy now though (not Bloody likely) and (like new-of course), I'd want $100 for it (whether I'd get that is something else) but:
I don't see any for sale at discogs.
One used one in only "Good" condition for sale for $103.99 on Amazon.
And the next cheapest on for sale on ebay "used - like new" is $149.99!:eek:

Back