Your first experience that made you a surround music lover

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The music is brilliant. The story is poorly thought out. If ETs have the capabilities of inter steller travel, why even come into earths atmosphere? Why would they want Earth, when there are BILLIONS of planets out there? Why would they send themselves in pods to risk injury? Always annoyed me. That technology can be weaponized and everything on Earth could be killed in literally 1 second. There would be no war. It bugs me to this day!!

And why didn't they have anything more intelligent to say than "Ooooh Laaah" :couch !!

My introduction to quad was about 1972 in a hi fi shop. There were 4 marantz imperial 7's (12 '' woofers-all 3 drivers had blue cones..cool) playing "Rock On" from a marantz 10 1/2 inch quad reel deck). Prices were astronomical so there was no quad for this 16 year old!! FF bout 30 years and I found a quad Akai 8 track and about 8 quad tapes including "best of bread" and Moody blues "7th Sojourn" from a thrift store. Being familiar with the music, I hooked it up and listened to the front channels of the bread tape and noticed guitars missing. I garner another amp/preamp & 2 more speakers and got hooked listening to 70's discrete quad. I was also collecting SQ and CD4 discs at this time, even before I had the decoders. Later I got a Lafayette SQ-W decoder (looked like it had never been used) and JVC cd4 decoder & TOL JVC CD4 cartridge (both new in box) and eventually got a Marantz quad integrated amp with the plug in SQ-2 decoder(I also have a marantz SQ-1) When high resolution surround dvd a's & sony sacd discs were available, I purchased most of the high dollar ones before they were high dollars. Sony had a sale on these discs and I got a very good deal when I bought 7 or 8 of them at once. I also remember winning an ebay auction for the "Hotel California" and Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" dvda's and the seller sent me two maxell blank dvds! When I complained to ebay, they told me I couldnt make out a complaint until 30 days after the auction and before 45 days had elapsed. Of course I missed the time frame and got completely ripped off for the $35.00 I had sent the creep.

Eagles "Hell freezes over" on an import DVD (DTS) from the US. I had my DVD player modified to be region free (around 200 USD at the time ;-)). Turned to HiRez SACD/DVD-Audio pretty soon and later on also Bluray - never looked back since then.

About 15 years ago my 2 sons and I hobbled together 5 speakers which we hooked up to a Marantz receiver to listen to Reveal in surround. I've never forget how we all just sat there dumbfounded, unable to move, not believing what we were hearing; a life-changing moment for me.

I was imprinted early. When I was a kid, back in the mid-50s, there was an upstairs neighbor who had converted the living room of his apartment into a music room. He had a Berlant tape machine and electronics I cannot recall but he had 4 AR-1 speakers, one in each of the four corners of the room. He played a stereo tape piped through all 4 and, wow, it was like nothing that I had ever heard or even imagined. It was even better, to me, than the pair of Brociner corner horns that he had before.

Guess I was a late adopter. I always thought there was a good marriage to be had between audio and video (hence my hooking up a pair of speakers to my 20" Electrohome back in '74 :)) Ergo I loved the '80s as you could imagine. About 15 years ago I started to collect concert DVDs and played them on a 5.1 system initially set up for movies. This morphed into a rather healthy blu ray concert collection. Trading up with gear over the years resulted in upgrading the blu ray player to an Oppo a few years back, the first player I had that could spin SACDs. It was an easy transition to MC discs, having already been enjoying surround on concerts. So now with SACDs, BD-A, DVD-A....it appears there's no turning back:music

About 15 years ago my 2 sons and I hobbled together 5 speakers which we hooked up to a Marantz receiver to listen to Reveal in surround. I've never forget how we all just sat there dumbfounded, unable to move, not believing what we were hearing; a life-changing moment for me.
The other part of this story is that it was my sons who convinced me to listen to surround. By 2001 I was already aware of high-rez audio (dvd-audio) but I was buying the discs for the stereo tracks. I had to be sure when I bought a disc that it actually had a stereo group. Tigerlily by Natalie Merchant was one that I sent back because it was 5.1 only. For me it was frustrating that they were selling these discs as 5.1. I remember thinking at time, before my sons' intervention, who in their right mind would want to listen to music that surrounded you.

My second experience was in 1970 was with a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers added to my modest stereo system and hooked up à la DynaQuad. "Last Night of the Proms" was the crowd-pleaser.

That's so long ago I can't remember much, though I'm not sure if it was because I was enjoying life too much...I *think* 1972, but it could have been early '73. Elvis' ALOHA FROM HAWAII was the impetus for investing in a quad system, though the Sylvania hardware I had was not the best there was out at the time (to say the least). For years, I often chose Q8's over vinyl, since I didn't have to shuttle between CD-4, SQ and QS.

ED :)

I didn't know about surround music 10 years ago...

This post really got me thinking about when exactly did surround music first captured my imagination? I've been a drummer since 1980, when I was 10 years old, so I've always had a huge fascination with music my entire life, but when did surround sound music first really 'click' for me?

I first found this wonderful site and signed up in Dec 2013, but before that, I signed up for blu-ray.com in March 2010 and bought my very first blu-rays in June of 2010: Star Trek '09, Earth (documentary), and Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's. I read back through some of my earliest posts on that site and found mentions about 'discrete' 'music' 'surround' 'Steely Dan' as early as March 2010, so I'm pretty sure that I had discovered 'Steely Dan - Gaucho' (my first foray into real surround music) by at the very latest, the end of 2010, and once my understanding of what real surround sound music was hit me, it hit me like a ton of bricks and has never let up, so I would guess that I've been all-in for almost exactly 9 years.

Went from a Samsung all in one dvd/avr with 5.1 little satellite speakers and an 8" sub, to entry Sony HD 7.1 avr and Polk speakers and 2 12" subs, to Onkyo mid-top end avr with HTD level 3 speakers and 2 18" subs. Next up: Atmos/DTS-X baby! :dance

I missed the Quad experience first time around in the 70's. But when Dark Side was released in discreet 5.1 I was hooked. Brothers In Arms also helped to get me to spend ridiculous amounts of money, but worth every penny.
About what year did you first get into real surround music?

I'm relatively new to the world of surround music, as I purchased my first set up only four years ago. It was the period of the KC 40th anniversary releases on DVD-Audio, which included SW's stereo and surround remixes. I had those surround remixes at home, but didn't know how to listen to them, damn! One day, I walked into my usual hi-fi store, and asked if I could play a couple of KC mixes as surround demo. We sat down and played Lizard first, then Discipline. The day after I purchased a surround sound system (while the guy who owned the store bought Lizard on DVD-audio, haha)! I was amazed at how good Lizard could sound in this new format. Of course, I then tried immediately the Dark Side, but that wasn't my first experience. When I have friends at home, who have never heard surround music, I never know what I should play in order to persuade them... this is going off-topic now, but I'd generally ask what they listen to at home, and then select something accordingly. I believe that there are good demo discs across different genres, from pop/rock to electronic.

I heard Elton's GBYBR/Funeral for a Friend, & Tommy/The Who, in DVD/Audio, & kinda lost my mind
Actually, bought an Acura TL, just so I could play DVD/A's; sadly, only DTS discs play in their new ELS systems:(
I bought a TL for the same reason. I have always been a Subaru man but when I got involved in 5.1, I started looking at the Acura and was very impressed. When we needed a new car, scooped a beautiful Acura TL AWD with tech package and 307 HP to boot. Best car I have ever owned and driven. While I love the DVD audio functions, I really love the built-in hard drive that plays all my cd-derived music in surround sound. Just outstanding.

Easy one for me....

Fleetwood Mac, The Dance on DVD Video. Considering I'd never heard proper surround at that time, nor had I owned a 5.1 system (until I bought that disc), I was floored at what I heard. I was constantly pimping for my friends to come over so I could amaze them. lol

And, I just checked, and the release date of The Dance was 1997. So, I'd say 1997 was when I got into surround.

Back around 2002; I was in a hi-fi store with my parents and Hell Freezes Over was playing in a room. There was something special going on but I was not considering it personally - my parents ended up with a decent Marantz AV receiver but I could not convince then to push to see what could be done with surround sound. Not that I knew what that required back then, anyway.

In 2005, as an R.E.M. fan, I purchased all of the CD+DVDA sets when that were released. Around the same time I picked up a basic Sony unit with some little surround speakers. In retrospect this was completely incompetent as I was not ever playing the MLP audio data; and worse, I perhaps was sending a modified stereo recording out all of the speakers. The embarrassment. Suffice to say, I was not in the company of audiophiles!

In early 2011 something clicked. I was bored researching some night and figured that the world of HDMI made things remarkably easy. Not only that but my beloved FLAC format, used for backing up my CD's, happily supported 5.1 tracks, among others.

Things then went progressively crazy. A basic cheap Yamaha system, enough for me to realise "this is quite awesome" - starting with those R.E.M. discs that could now be used properly - gave way to more serious kit and volumes of recordings... and a fool soon parts with their money...

Back