Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the box just for the Blu-ray, but I’m not unhappy with this news.

I long ago got over feeling too bad about spending money for something I wanted, even if, like in this case, I spent way more than I would have needed to. You take your chances. I have bigger regrets in life than music purchases.

In all honesty, any angst I might feel for buying the box (which is minuscule in this case) is completely washed away by the fact that it’s now more affordable for people who couldn’t spend money (or didn’t want to) for the big box.

I’ve said this before... I want music (and especially surround mixes) to be as widely available as possible. So I’m just as excited about this news as anyone else.

But will I hold out if The Wall box set with a box-only Atmos mix is released and take my chances on the hope of a stand-alone Blu-ray. Possibly. Then again, the chance to hear Comfortably Numb in Atmos as soon as humanly possible might be too overwhelming for me.
The Wall Immersion wasn't up to scratch IMO (no hi-res/multichannel release) so I gave it a miss on the assumption that eventually, one day, they would do another one with the BluRay in it (or a standalone Blu).

The 50th anniversary is "only" 4 years away at this point, so.... perhaps... ;)

My MFSL CD sounds great
It is very expensive now but in my opinion it is the best stereo version I have heard
Surely you can't mean it's better than the hi-res re-mix/remastering stereo version of the 2003 (?) SACD (DSD) or the same from the 2011 BluRay (PCM)!!!???

Surely you can't mean it's better than the hi-res re-mix/remastering stereo version of the 2003 (?) SACD (DSD) or the same from the 2011 BluRay (PCM)!!!???
Dark Side has never been remixed in stereo. The 2003 hybrid SACD stereo remaster is one of the loudest and least well-regarded masterings. The 2011 remaster is a major improvement by comparison, but may not be preferred over earlier editions, such as Doug Sax's '90s remaster or an original '80s CD (or, indeed, the MFSL).

Chaps, Just to confirm, Paul @ SDE has said that the new Blu will have the new stereo mix in 192/24 which IIRC is the highest quality (for PCM (not getting into those DSD vs PCM arguments now! ;) )), that will have been released? (as the 2011 BluRay only had the original stereo mix in 96/24 (and possibly the new stereo mix as well (also in 96/24)).

I'm sure the wealth of knowledge here can confirm/correct me?

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news...ndalone-blu-ray-of-the-dark-side-of-the-moon/
(I also don't want to get into the discussion about IF 192/24 offers anything useful in audible terms vs 96/24... ;) )

Dark Side has never been remixed in stereo. The 2003 hybrid SACD stereo remaster is one of the loudest and least well-regarded masterings. The 2011 remaster is a major improvement by comparison, but may not be preferred over earlier editions, such as Doug Sax's '90s remaster or an original '80s CD (or, indeed, the MFSL).
Thanks. I thought I remembered Guthrie doing a stereo re-mix as well as a multi-channel one as part of the 2003/2011 stuff, but looking at my 2011 box, it's the original 1973 mix, remastered and released as 96/24 PCM.

If the stereo mastering on this Bluray is newer/(better?) than the SACD then I will buy.

There is no new stereo mix!
Ron, thx!

So just to confirm, I think there is:

1. Original 1973 stereo mix released many different times on LP & CD as various different masters (I think I have the original CD master, the 1994/5 remaster and the 2011 remaster (both in 44.1/16 & 96/24), and now the 2023 "50th anni edition" remastered at 192/24 (for BluRay and streaming) and 44.1/16 (for CD and streaming)) - I further wonder if the 44.1/16 2023 remaster is a "dithered" 192/24 -> 44.1/16 or a "proper" 44.1/16 remaster? ;) ).

2. Original 1973 stereo mix, remastered in 2003 by Guthrie for SACD (both for the PCM AND DSD stereo parts of the disc, whilst also doing the DSD hi-res 5.1 remix and master)

3. Original 1973 stereo mix, remastered in 2011 by Guthrie for the 2011 Immersion set on CD (44.1/16) & BluRay (96/24)

It's confusing when various resources describe a new remaster as a remix as you say, the stereo has never been remixed, but has had umpteen remasters!

How close to getting all that correct was I? ;) :)

The Wall Immersion wasn't up to scratch IMO (no hi-res/multichannel release) so I gave it a miss on the assumption that eventually, one day, they would do another one with the BluRay in it (or a standalone Blu).

The 50th anniversary is "only" 4 years away at this point, so.... perhaps... ;)
6 years away!

Don't make me feel any older than I absolutely have to!

The fact that I keep seeing "original stereo mix" on so much of the Dark Side of the Moon listings makes me keep thinking there's another, hidden mix out there. But I know that's not the case. 👀

The fact that I keep seeing "original stereo mix" on so much of the Dark Side of the Moon listings makes me keep thinking there's another, hidden mix out there. But I know that's not the case. 👀
Well, there is the 1972 early mix. But yeah, the verbiage would make more sense if there was a new stereo mix, which there isn't.

If it's earlier, wouldn't it be the original mix? They ought to call what they keep printing out the stereo mix.
No, it's not the original mix. It was a work-in-progress mix created for the band to listen to and review and was never intended to represent a final mix. The original mix was on the official release and is still the only stereo mix.

Back