Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before going to bed...
and if you don't plan to sleep that long
Max Richter is known for sleeping concerts where you bring your blanket.
And more (with 8 hours of source material to mine, he’s made quite a lot of tangential releases):
Richter: SLEEP: Tranquility Base (Alva Noto Remodel) - EP by Alva Noto, Max Richter, Grace Davidson, Ben Russell, Yuki Numata Resnick, Caleb Burhans, Clarice Jensen & Brian Snow on Apple Music
Richter: Dream 3 (Remix) - EP by Max Richter, Ben Russell & Yuki Numata Resnick on Apple Music
A handful of radio edits, and Sleep (Remixes) the official remix album that was released a year after the original are the only ones not without Atmos mixes

I was a huge fan of Live. They had a decent run though, 4 straight solid albums. Then "V" came out, which wasn't a fantastic album and the salt in the wound was the release date the week of 09/11/01.

Agreed. I always thought that people were unduly harsh on The Distance To Here - yes, it was not as dark and a more positive affair than Secret Samadhi but it was still a fantastic album (along with Throwing Copper and Mental Jewelry). V, what a disaster; there was no coming back. A pity. They really shredded a good band between the personalities and the music post Distance To Here. I saw them live in about the year 2000. Anyway, more Live in surround please :)

One of my fav bands, Khruangbin (pronounced Krung-bin) has a new album that was *just* announced, out April 5th. Single is up along with the album and… Atmos!

Edit: reporting back after a listen… it’s… an interesting mixing strategy. It is discrete… but the core of the music is in the fronts. Percussion and ethereal vocals are spread out in wides, rears, and heights. So effectively stereo with extra

Last edited:
An update on the weird Apple Atmos saga of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" (the song, not the album):

So, Apple originally had a *really* nice discrete Atmos mix of the song.

However, last year, this version was pulled in favor of an Atmos mix of the 2019 music video version, which has a spoken word intro spliced in from one of his concerts, which then segues to an acapella vocal intertwined with news clips from the Flint Michigan water crisis, before finally settling to something more resembling the classic version (albeit with sounds of Flint-related protests).

Well, I just discovered that *this* version has been pulled, and now there's *no* Atmos mix of the song on Apple at all. ❓

(I don't know if the same holds true for Tidal, but I'd be interested to know -- this is all *so* weird.)
Found a version of What's Going On with the Atmos mix that has the dialogue intro:
Actually, I've just compiled a 15-track Marvin Gaye surround playlist, if you're into this kind of thing:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...st-in-dolby-atmos-streaming.35231/post-751604

Back