Current Production CD-4 Cartridges

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will throw my 2 cents worth in here. I use a 440mlb myself and couldn't be happier. I have no idea what I will do when the stylus wears out. Audio Technica has updated the AT95 and they make shibata, line contact and many other types of styli for it. I have no idea if it works for CD4, but it is more in my budget than the 540 and 740. I use my AT440mlb on the built in demodulators of my Sansui QRX7001 and JVC 5456x. The only CD4 title that gives me problems is Barry Manilow 2.

Genuine AT styli for the 440 should still be available well into the future. Though they look to cost as much as the whole cartridge did when new.

did you try an M24H?

afaik that was the TOTL Shure cart where CD-4 was concerned.

i'm in the market for one! (if one comes up in the UK in great nick for no money! :LOL:
I can't believe it got thrown away, I reckon its lurking in a box in the loft, so if I ever find my Shure M24H its yours Adam for a whopping £0.00,

I wanted to add that I received my AT-440MLb Friday. It was a NOS unit at a good price. I aligned it with a DB Systems protractor and my Shure SFG-2 force gauge on my Technics SL-1100. Boy, what a joy it is to listen to. It'll still need some break-in time, but it sounds great. The separation controls on my 4DD-5 are at about 11 o'clock using the test LP and my carrier adjustment is at around halfway. Took no fuss at all to set up with the LP. No problems tracking inner grooves. I wish I had done this years ago! Quadradiscs I thought were shot sound clean and clear. Probably due to the stylus contacting un-trashed sections of the groove.

I use an Audio Technica microline (not for CD-4 as I'm not set up for it) and I really like it. Losing so much of that 'end of side' sound was great.

Back