"Frankenstein" CD4 Demodulator

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwb474

QQ Supporter
This is my 1st effort to combine the best of both worlds in CD4 technology. My 2nd effort, "Bride" posted earlier was an easy slam dunk to get a CD4-392 based demodulator, but it suffers from the CD4-392's major flaw: It's ARNS and Matrix circuits did not perform as they should and these circuits are the heart of separation performance. When JVC Labs realized this, instead of putting out a new CD4-392, they developed the PTL (Phase Tracking Loop) demodulator. This IC corrected the CD4-392's flaws and improved the tracking. The CD4-392 has a lock range of around 50db. As a guess the PTL would have a range of 70db. But it was the end of the 70s and it was all over. As we hear know the JVC 4DD-5 and Marantz CD400 are actually really good performers and with the Matrix mods that have been published they will perform better than a CD4-392 in that area. The CD4-392 based assembly out of a Sansui QRX I found would be a good candidate to merge with a JVC 4DD-5. As a side note the design of the Fisher assembly that I used the other project is not nearly as suitable to do this job. Attached are the very preliminary drawings on how I intend to proceed with this project.

Attachments

• Schematic, 4DD-5, Prelim. Overview of Changes.compressed.pdf
    264.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Schematic, 4DD-5, Expanded Selector Switch.compressed.pdf
    162.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Schematic, 4DD-5, Expanded Matrix.compressed.pdf
    139.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Diagram, F-2589, Test Interconnect.compressed.pdf
    214.8 KB · Views: 157
  • F-2589 Ready for Testing.jpg
    F-2589 Ready for Testing.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 370
  • Schematic, F-2589, Prelim. Overview of Changes, Revised 6-3-15.compressed.pdf
    222.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Schematic, Output Buffer.compressed.pdf
    215.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Schematic, Phono Preamp.compressed.pdf
    211.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Schematic, Power Supply, Revised 6-1-15.compressed.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 133
Many thanks!

How I wish I could understand what you do!

What is the source file for your Frankenstein rig?

This is my 1st effort to combine the best of both worlds in CD4 technology. My 2nd effort, "Bride" posted earlier was an easy slam dunk to get a CD4-392 based demodulator, but it suffers from the CD4-392's major flaw: It's ARNS and Matrix circuits did not perform as they should and these circuits are the heart of separation performance. When JVC Labs realized this, instead of putting out a new CD4-392, they developed the PTL (Phase Tracking Loop) demodulator. This IC corrected the CD4-392's flaws and improved the tracking. The CD4-392 has a lock range of around 50db. As a guess the PTL would have a range of 70db. But it was the end of the 70s and it was all over. As we hear know the JVC 4DD-5 and Marantz CD400 are actually really good performers and with the Matrix mods that have been published they will perform better than a CD4-392 in that area. The CD4-392 based assembly out of a Sansui QRX I found would be a good candidate to merge with a JVC 4DD-5. As a side note the design of the Fisher assembly that I used the other project is not nearly as suitable to do this job. Attached are the very preliminary drawings on how I intend to proceed with this project.

Amazing amount of technology involved but having lived through the SQ/QS/EV~4/CD~4 era with all the paraphernalia involved, IMO, the hardware and software of the time really did SUCK and when I switched to Quad Open Reel, including a dolby b 4 channel outboard decoder.....I finally got a taste of what they were really trying to accomplish but unfortunately, the Vinyl surround software clearly outnumbered that of QR by a WIDE margin.

As an aside, when Dutton Vocalion released those 12 RCA CD~4 SACD 4.0 remasters last year [actually, 6 two~fers] from the original QUAD master tapes, I was listening to the Floyd Cramer SACD and on my system the sound was superb and I shook my head and remarked "how did they EVER expect to extract this extraordinary and ultra quiet level of sonics from a CD~4 disc with the poor pressings, crappy cartridges and not ready for primetime CD~4 demodulators of the day?"

I SINCERELY do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and perhaps with today's superior turntables (don't know about the CD~4 cartridges which I suspect IS the weak link) and increased level of performance from pre/pros, you WILL have better luck than I EVER did from those early 'attempts' at reproducing Quadraphonic sound from vinyl records.

Last edited:
(don't know about the CD~4 cartridges which I suspect IS the weak link).
I have little doubt that excellent results could be achieved if someone knowledgeable puts effort into 1) making digital rips at half-speed of CD-4 records (with a regular cartridge) and 2) developing a pre-processing method to optimize them for demodulating.

Then what is needed is to mod a demodulator (sorry!) so the analog signal of a digital player could be fed into it, bypassing all the previous stages.

You seem to be attenuating the output of the Tascam to phono level.

Back