Hum/Buzz on my RX-V1700 Yamaha Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah the receiver was 12 years old and has been doing the hum for like 3 years.

And damnit the shop says they cannot reproduce the hum at all. Well, I guess it doesn't matter as I was going to buy a new receiver anyway. And now I can sell/gift this RX-V1700 to someone without any issues. But I am out the $75 bench fee...

You may want to move or have an electrician check for stray voltage issues since you had problems with more then one piece of equipment. First the X800 and now an AVR.🤔
I had an issue like that in a student flat, got I got an annoying hum on my amp, got a multi-meter from the Lab and measured the mains supply voltages over the Live, Neutral & Earth, there was a large voltage between a neutral and earth. It went when I moved.

But I don't have the issue with the new receiver. I'm wondering if it was something nearby that's no longer there... like the nintendo wii.

But I don't have the issue with the new receiver. I'm wondering if it was something nearby that's no longer there... like the nintendo wii.
It could be, if a radio/TV/Wi-Fi/etc. signal breaks through and is being mixed down to create noise. LTE has caused quite a few problems with Digital TV over here in the UK.

Nah the receiver was 12 years old and has been doing the hum for like 3 years.
It is interference in the house or block u live on. a ac motor, a light, something that is in use 24/7. Try ferrite blocks. You can get them on amazon. you see them on electronic ac lines. a small barrel shaped object they work too! and there are ac line filters https://www.smarthome.com/filterlinc-10-amp-plug-in-noise-filter.html
and https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ferrite+line+filters&ref=nb_sb_noss
ac lines are notorious for poor power and interference , power drops and surges, this reaks havoc on our audio equipment. Panamax makes a great line conditioner Crutchfield sells one cost a small fortune but if you invest in costly stuff, I recommend it.

But if that was the case, wouldn't the new Yamaha receiver have the same issue?

No and I'll explain, they obviously added new tech, and that will contribute to the noise quieting. I suggest trying it at another location? Could be a resistor similar is burned up.

Back