New AV Receiver Recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HugoPhyrst

My old and trusty Onkyo TX-SR610 is finally beginning to fail. I guess 14 years is a lot to ask. This sounds like an opportunity! I'm looking at a few replacements; wish that money was no object but that is not the case. I have a 5.1 system without enough room depth to go with 7.1, so that limits choices a bit. I'm using the system both for music and movies, although more music lately - 2 channel and multi. Using the analog channel outputs of Oppo 103.

Anyway here are the ones I'm looking at. Last year's Marantz are well-priced while they last. Any feedback and/or recommendations welcome. Thank you in advance!

MARANTZ SR5012 - 7.2-Ch x 100 Watts Networking A/V Receiver w/ HEOS ($450)
MARANTZ SR6012 - 9.2-Ch x 110 Watts Networking A/V Receiver w/ HEOS ($700)
ANTHEM MRX 520 - 5.2-channel home theater receiver with Anthem Room Correction ($1400)

If you need to have a 5.1 analog input (6 RCA cables), you're not going to find it on new models. If everything is HDMI then no worries. I've been a DENON guy for 25 years myself and the AVR 4310 I use currently has both HDMI and the needed 6 CH EXT input for DVD-A players, etc. That is about 8-9 years old now and that's the line in the sand to have both covered. This will be true of nearly all AVR brands.

My old and trusty Onkyo TX-SR610 is finally beginning to fail. I guess 14 years is a lot to ask. This sounds like an opportunity! I'm looking at a few replacements; wish that money was no object but that is not the case. I have a 5.1 system without enough room depth to go with 7.1, so that limits choices a bit. I'm using the system both for music and movies, although more music lately - 2 channel and multi. Using the analog channel outputs of Oppo 103.

Anyway here are the ones I'm looking at. Last year's Marantz are well-priced while they last. Any feedback and/or recommendations welcome. Thank you in advance!

MARANTZ SR5012 - 7.2-Ch x 100 Watts Networking A/V Receiver w/ HEOS ($450)
MARANTZ SR6012 - 9.2-Ch x 110 Watts Networking A/V Receiver w/ HEOS ($700)
ANTHEM MRX 520 - 5.2-channel home theater receiver with Anthem Room Correction ($1400)

If it's any help, I got my Marantz receiver from a quite trusty online shop (from Chicopee, MA) called Safe and Sound. Check out their prices for last year's SR7012. I do not recommend a "refurbished" unit, however...

If you need to have a 5.1 analog input (6 RCA cables), you're not going to find it on new models. If everything is HDMI then no worries. I've been a DENON guy for 25 years myself and the AVR 4310 I use currently has both HDMI and the needed 6 CH EXT input for DVD-A players, etc. That is about 8-9 years old now and that's the line in the sand to have both covered. This will be true of nearly all AVR brands.
Thanks for the information. As long as I can send a signal to the receiver, I guess that's ok. I was confused when I read that all analog inputs are assignable on the Anthem. Only means assignable to the buttons. Still only 5 stereo inputs. Can I assume the DAC is better in the Anthem than the Oppo 103?

If it's any help, I got my Marantz receiver from a quite trusty online shop (from Chicopee, MA) called Safe and Sound. Check out their prices for last year's SR7012. I do not recommend a "refurbished" unit, however...
Yes, I'll check them out - thanks. Looks like the $450 is price for refurbished. But $599 is still a decent price. Happy with your Marantz?

Marantz still got multichannel inputs on several of their receivers. But many brands don't - like you wrote.

I actually disagree with some people who caution on refurb units - mileage is going to vary wildly, but many of them will perform great for much less than the asking price. My current AVR is a Sony STR-ZA2100ES, which I got refurb (mostly) direct from Sony for $500.

Out of curiosity, why are you using the analog outputs of the 103? I have the 93 and use it primarily as a transport using HDMI - my AVR's DACs have always been better than the lower-end Oppos.

Right now the Sony STR-DN1080 is selling for $450 (it was down to $400 a few days ago), and it does everything you could want in good sound to boot - and includes native DSD processing. But it would mean letting go of analog inputs.

I actually disagree with some people who caution on refurb units - mileage is going to vary wildly, but many of them will perform great for much less than the asking price. My current AVR is a Sony STR-ZA2100ES, which I got refurb (mostly) direct from Sony for $500.

Out of curiosity, why are you using the analog outputs of the 103? I have the 93 and use it primarily as a transport using HDMI - my AVR's DACs have always been better than the lower-end Oppos.

Right now the Sony STR-DN1080 is selling for $450 (it was down to $400 a few days ago), and it does everything you could want in good sound to boot - and includes native DSD processing. But it would mean letting go of analog inputs.
Using the Oppo DACs because the Onkyo is so old - doesn't do DTS-MA. I guess the refurbish units come down to who you're buying it from. Thx

I bit into the kids inheritance and bought the Marantz SR8012
It really is a musical dream.
I wanted a machine that would handle all the new Surround mixes and power an 11.1 system.
Yes, its not cheap.
But I hope it will last me out as I don't plan on upgrading my bat cave anymore.
Not sure what price you can pick one up for in the US.
I can't recommend this receiver enough.

Using the Oppo DACs because the Onkyo is so old - doesn't do DTS-MA. I guess the refurbish units come down to who you're buying it from. Thx
Gotcha. I'm surprised - I had an Onkyo 605 and it did MA - maybe the model numbers moved around. Anyhow, given that I'd cast a wider net and not worry about analog inputs unless you're specifically looking for those. Yamaha and Denon both make great products in the upper tier of the enthusiast category.

Yes, I'll check them out - thanks. Looks like the $450 is price for refurbished. But $599 is still a decent price. Happy with your Marantz?

heck yeah! It's a beauty and a monster!! Well , I understand that I may have had a previous experience with a refurb'd SR7011 BUT I should add that Dave from Safe And Sound came through with flying colors!

heck yeah! It's a beauty and a monster!! Well , I understand that I may have had a previous experience with a refurb'd SR7011 BUT I should add that Dave from Safe And Sound came through with flying colors!
Well that endorsement goes a long ways. I'm within an hour of Chicopee, in case there were issues.

That bit looks pretty good. Checks off all my boxes AND 2 extra channels in case I ever go with adds Height speakers for Atmos. Do you have experience with it?
No but I do have experience with related NAD products.
Also, how does the NAD SpeakerIQ room correction stack up against Anthem ARC?
This NAD uses the latest DiracLive application which is, IMHO, superior to Audyssey and more than competitive with AnthemARC.

Personally, I'd ditch the analog outs from the OPPO 103. Unless you already have a well conditioned listening area, room correction can be a beautiful thing.

Well that endorsement goes a long ways. I'm within an hour of Chicopee, in case there were issues.
I've ordered two refurbished Marantz SR5012 units from this same seller. For the first order, they accidentally sent me a Denon model that was similar but lacked the multichannel analog inputs. They paid for the return shipping and had a *new* (not refurbished) replacement SR5012 at my door the next day to make up for the inconvenience. The second unit (just ordered last week) arrived in one business day and was correct from the get-go.

I use the Marantz's multichannel inputs with my Surround Master and my JVC CD-4 demodulator. It all works without a hitch.

One reason would be if one plays DVD-Audio disks. I doubt any new AVR will decode those.

Back