OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people don't convert DTS to FLAC, what they do is wrap the DTS file in a FLAC container so they can tag it like all their other files. Big difference...

I understand what you say about converting lossy to lossless and all, but I still convert DTS to FLAC. Sometimes these same files get down mixed to stereo and played back on other LO-FI equipment elsewhere in the house that will not decode DTS. They all accept FLAC though, except the factory system in my car, which will play WAV and MP3 only... a separate aggravating issue for me.

That's an excellent deal on your 103's. I did check the Audio Marts a few times with no luck. In the rare instance I did find a cheap 103, it invariably had no remote, or was being sold by a pawn shop or storage shed liquidator (I never buy components from sources like those). I even asked around on this site several times with no luck.

I also have a BDP-83 SE. I'm not sure ill ever sell it as long as it is functioning. Unlike the newer OPPOs, it plays burned SACD-Rs and DVDAs.

I got it! It is in beautiful shape, and came with everything it should. Nice deal. I am having some trouble getting it to output Hi-Rez 2-channel audio though (it is in my stereo system) ... either via the coaxial digital connection (directly to my Bryston DAC) or via HDMI through an HDMI extractor (that's the way my BDP-83 worked) into my DAC via the same coaxial cable that connected my old OPPO. I have been through all the Setup menus, AND the manual. Anyone have any ideas?

A fine alternative to (ab?)using flac files as containers for dts files is to make cue sheets that serve as a metadata "side-file." For example I placed the following text file, which I named metadata.cue, in the same directory as the dts files extracted from Elliot Scheiner's Grammy-winning surround DVD of Layla and Other Love Songs:

TITLE "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs"
PERFORMER "Derek and the Dominos"
REM GENRE "Rock"
REM DATE 2011

FILE "01 I Looked Away.dts" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "I Looked Away"
INDEX 01 00:00:00

FILE "02 Bell Bottom Blues.dts" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Bell Bottom Blues"

FILE "03 Keep On Growing.dts" WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Keep On Growing"

FILE "04 Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out.dts" WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out"

FILE "05 I Am Yours.dts" WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "I Am Yours"

FILE "06 Anyday.dts" WAVE
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Anyday"

FILE "07 Key To The Highway.dts" WAVE
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Key To The Highway"

FILE "08 Tell The Truth.dts" WAVE
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Tell The Truth"

FILE "09 Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad.dts" WAVE
TRACK 09 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad"

FILE "10 Have You Ever Loved A Woman.dts" WAVE
TRACK 10 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Have You Ever Loved A Woman"

FILE "11 Little Wing.dts" WAVE
TRACK 11 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Little Wing"

FILE "12 It's Too Late.dts" WAVE
TRACK 12 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "It's Too Late"

FILE "13 Layla.dts" WAVE
TRACK 13 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Layla"

FILE "14 Thorn Tree In The Garden.dts" WAVE
TRACK 14 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Thorn Tree In The Garden"

FILE "15 Mean Old World.dts" WAVE
TRACK 15 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Mean Old World"

This worked fine in foobar2000, VLC, and Kodi. I'm still having a bit of difficulty getting this technique to work with a DTS-CD in Kodi, but I suspect it's a minor issue. Once I get it working, I'll probably write a script to make these metadata files for all of my DTS-CD rips and (lossy DTS) music DVD rips. While this technique does not directly address cover art, putting a cover.jpg file in the same directory is a decent workaround.

A fine alternative to (ab?)using flac files as containers for dts files is to make cue sheets that serve as a metadata "side-file." For example I placed the following text file, which I named metadata.cue, in the same directory as the dts files extracted from Elliot Scheiner's Grammy-winning surround DVD of Layla and Other Love Songs:

TITLE "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs"
PERFORMER "Derek and the Dominos"
REM GENRE "Rock"
REM DATE 2011

FILE "01 I Looked Away.dts" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "I Looked Away"

FILE "02 Bell Bottom Blues.dts" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Bell Bottom Blues"

FILE "03 Keep On Growing.dts" WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Keep On Growing"

FILE "04 Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out.dts" WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out"

FILE "05 I Am Yours.dts" WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "I Am Yours"

FILE "06 Anyday.dts" WAVE
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Anyday"

FILE "07 Key To The Highway.dts" WAVE
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Key To The Highway"

FILE "08 Tell The Truth.dts" WAVE
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Tell The Truth"

FILE "09 Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad.dts" WAVE
TRACK 09 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad"

FILE "10 Have You Ever Loved A Woman.dts" WAVE
TRACK 10 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Have You Ever Loved A Woman"

FILE "11 Little Wing.dts" WAVE
TRACK 11 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Little Wing"

FILE "12 It's Too Late.dts" WAVE
TRACK 12 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "It's Too Late"

FILE "13 Layla.dts" WAVE
TRACK 13 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Layla"

FILE "14 Thorn Tree In The Garden.dts" WAVE
TRACK 14 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Thorn Tree In The Garden"

FILE "15 Mean Old World.dts" WAVE
TRACK 15 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE "Mean Old World"

This worked fine in foobar2000, VLC, and Kodi. I'm still having a bit of difficulty getting this technique to work with a DTS-CD in Kodi, but I suspect it's a minor issue. Once I get it working, I'll probably write a script to make these metadata files for all of my DTS-CD rips and (lossy DTS) music DVD rips. While this technique does not directly address cover art, putting a cover.jpg file in the same directory is a decent workaround.

Homer is also a freaking genius figuring this stuff out. Maybe he’ll comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homer is also a freaking genius figuring this stuff out. Maybe he’ll comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing really to figure out. Audiomuxer will make a flac out of the DTS without any change in the DTS file. There is a specific function, directly under the conversion tab. If FLACs are your preference for pcm files, I can't see any reason not to use that method, unless like LuvMyQuad, you want to downmix to two channel and your device doesn't do DTS. Audiomuxer will do that too using the conversion function. It literally takes like a second or two per file even on a slow computer because there isn't any conversion going on.

This worked fine in foobar2000, VLC, and Kodi. I'm still having a bit of difficulty getting this technique to work with a DTS-CD in Kodi, but I suspect it's a minor issue.

This was, as I suspected, a red herring. The "metadata cue file" approach works fine with Kodi and DTS-CD-sourced material.

Me three. While away for three weeks, I contemplated getting a UD205. And of course those machines were all sold upon my return. Are there any other players out there other than those on the used market that can play SACD and DVD-Audio that have ANALOG outputs?

Me three. While away for three weeks, I contemplated getting a UD205. And of course those machines were all sold upon my return. Are there any other players out there other than those on the used market that can play SACD and DVD-Audio that have ANALOG outputs?

You might still be able to get the 205 from Oppo....just register...there could be more in the pipeline....here

Back