• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The Official QQ Sales, Vouchers, Coupons and Discount Codes Megathread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only two I can recall are the Philip Glass soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi and another soundtrack, the Buena Vista Social Club, both of which are superb sounding MLP 5.1 DVD~As.

I think there may have been one or two John Adams DVD's that had 5.1 soundtracks, too. But I'm pretty sure all of those are out of print.

I see they're at least selling some high-res (stereo) FLACs of recent titles, though--Brad Mehldau's Seymour Reads the Constitution!, for instance. Steve Reich's Radio Rewrite. Fleet Foxes, Joshua Redman, the new John Adams violin concerto. Lots of Chris Thile & Punch Brothers, etc. I may load up on those.

Last edited:
I've Got The T-Bone Walker Blues by Roy Gaines (Groove Note)
Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64
20% Off Album of the Week w/code AOTW through July 26, 2018

T-Bone_Walker_Blues_-_Album_of_the_Week.jpg

Native DSD Music Album of the Week - Roy Gaines
20% Off with code AOTW through July 26, 2018

I've Got The T-Bone Walker Blues
Roy Gaines

Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64
Groove Note Records
DSD 128 and DSD 256 Exclusively Available from NativeDSD
DSD 64 Download Debut Outside the US and Canada
All Editions Available to Listeners Worldwide

"Somewhere, T-Bone Walker is beaming with pride over what Roy Gaines is doing on this set -- More than a tribute, this album is love!"
-- Bill Dodd, Senior Reviewer, NativeDSD Music

Roy Gaines is the greatest living blues guitarist that you probably don’t know anything about. Not only is Mr. Gaines a sizzling blues guitarist, he also possesses one of the most magnificent blues voices around. The real tragedy is that until very recently this supremely talented musician was almost forgotten by blues fans in the U.S.

Born in Houston in 1937, Roy started playing the guitar as a teenager and soon developed a reputation as an instrumental prodigy. By fourteen, he was actually being invited on stage to play with the legendary T-Bone Walker during the latter’s live gigs in Houston and became known as T-Bone Jr. By his early 20s, Roy was playing and recording with Roy Milton’s band in LA but returned to Houston to join the Duke / Peacock blues label as a full-time session guitarist on such seminal blues recordings as Bobby Bland’s It’s My Life Baby and Junior Parker’s Driving Me Mad. He was also the featured guitarist on a whole bunch of singles recorded by Big Mama Thorton for the same label.

After going on the road with Joe Turner, Roy joined forces with the blues great, Chuck Willis. Roy stayed with Willis until the latter passed away in the late 50’s. He then moved to NYC and recorded with Jimmy Rushing, as well as doing a jazz album with Coleman Hawkins on Prestige. Roy returned to LA and during the 60s became one of the city’s leading session guitarists, playing with the Crusaders, Earl Grant, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder as well as continuing his pure blues work with the likes of Bobby Bland, Albert King and Lightning Hopkins for the Jewel label.

The focus of this album is on the music and spirit of the late and very great T-Bone Walker, Roy’s earliest mentor and inspiration as a guitar player. T-Bone’s body of work includes such timeless blues standards as Stormy Monday, Dreamgirl, West Side Baby, T-Bone Blues and I’m in An Awful Mood and many others. This album focuses on the classic tunes and styles from the period of the 40s and 50s.

https://groovenote.nativedsd.com/albums/GRV1002-i-got-the-tbone-walker-blues

DEEP DISCOUNT 15% off with promo code SHARK....for those that didn't get a chance at Bitches Brew...here is a second chance to get a decent price HERE

Update...looks like the Bitches Brew title is out of stock NOW...it wasn't when I posted it..

Last edited:
DEEP DISCOUNT 15% off with promo code SHARK....for those that didn't get a chance at Bitches Brew...here is a second chance to get a decent price HERE

Update...looks like the Bitches Brew title is out of stock NOW...it wasn't when I posted it..

Clint, Bitches Brew was never in stock as it won't be released in the US until August 17th.

But a great pre~order price @ $49.46 w/the discount!

Last edited:
Presto Classical is doing their summer clearance, including hundreds of surround SACDs - in particular over a hundred SACDs from Pentatone, many of them are their quad transfers (and many more are excellent original recordings): https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/promotions/summer-clearance (scroll down to the featured labels to focus most easily). Lots from Channel too.

Presto Classical is doing their summer clearance, including hundreds of surround SACDs - in particular over a hundred SACDs from Pentatone, many of them are their quad transfers (and many more are excellent original recordings): https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/promotions/summer-clearance (scroll down to the featured labels to focus most easily). Lots from Channel too.

Gulp. Lots there to consider. Any recommendations by folks? I have a couple of the Pentatone Quads already.

Gulp. Lots there to consider. Any recommendations by folks? I have a couple of the Pentatone Quads already.
There's a lot of good stuff on sale. I'd recommend in particular, but hardly exclusively:

1. The Boston Symphony Quad transfers - especially Damnation of Faust (2 hour oratorio with really discrete moments in the mix).
2. Anything with Julia Fischer. There's a reason Decca snatched her up; her recordings are among the top classical recordings, SACD or not, of this millenium.
3. The Beaux Arts Trio recording of Brahms's Piano Quartets. This has long been the top choice, and it was one of the first SACDs I purchased. The quad mix isn't terribly discrete, but still worth getting.

But really, there's so much else. Hraudio.net, Amazon, Classics Today, and others all have reviews you can consult.

Given all that, are you interested in a particular composer/style/period?

There's a lot of good stuff on sale. I'd recommend in particular, but hardly exclusively:

1. The Boston Symphony Quad transfers - especially Damnation of Faust (2 hour oratorio with really discrete moments in the mix).
2. Anything with Julia Fischer. There's a reason Decca snatched her up; her recordings are among the top classical recordings, SACD or not, of this millenium.
3. The Beaux Arts Trio recording of Brahms's Piano Quartets. This has long been the top choice, and it was one of the first SACDs I purchased. The quad mix isn't terribly discrete, but still worth getting.

But really, there's so much else. Hraudio.net, Amazon, Classics Today, and others all have reviews you can consult.

Given all that, are you interested in a particular composer/style/period?

I second ubertrout's recommendations (and would add, from among the Boston Symphony recordings, the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique).

If you're a fan of contemporary chamber music--and/or of contemporary takes on canonical works--then try nearly anything on Pentatone from cellist Matt Haimovitz's "Oxingale Series," many of which feature performances by Haimovitz, pianist Christopher O'Riley, and their circle. Not discrete surround, but almost always extremely well recorded and immersive nonetheless.

Marcel Tyberg's Masses got great reviews and won some awards; I'm planning to give that one a shot.

I second ubertrout's recommendations (and would add, from among the Boston Symphony recordings, the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique).

If you're a fan of contemporary chamber music--and/or of contemporary takes on canonical works--then try nearly anything on Pentatone from cellist Matt Haimovitz's "Oxingale Series," many of which feature performances by Haimovitz, pianist Christopher O'Riley, and their circle. Not discrete surround, but almost always extremely well recorded and immersive nonetheless.

Marcel Tyberg's Masses got great reviews and won some awards; I'm planning to give that one a shot.
I'm excited for Tyberg's Masses - put it in my big order for this sale. Listening to his third symphony makes clear to me that he's a forgotten master (sadly RBCD and streaming only): https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-15631/

I have Faust and the Boston Symphonie Fantastique. I'll take a look at some of the others you guys listed. I really dabble in classical more than have favorite composers/eras, but I do enjoy both larger orchestral works as well as chamber music. I've got a couple Tacets with great quartet work. But discrete is always a winner in my book. Oh, organs. Gimme an organ. :p

Back