The Grateful Dead Pacific Northwest Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best unintentional investment I ever made was ordering the Complete Fillmore West 1969 Limited Edition (10,000) box.
Cost $90 in 2005 for 10 HDCDs.

I checked Discogs last month, and immediately put the box in a ziplock with a post-it note for my heirs and survivors:
"Rare! Collectible! Don't let this go for less than $700"

Thanks for posting this! Even though I am a fan, this goes to the so much music, so little time category. While the high quality transfers interest me, I doubt I would get more than one listen each. I am saving my money for live music and surround!

Just to show you how loyal these Dead Head fans are...a great example is the box set that was priced at $699.98...or an option of a USB drive with all the music on it for the same $699.98 price tag...they offered 6,500 box sets and 1,000 USB drives for sale...and they sold out....so the gross amount is $4,548,870.00 for the box set and another $699,980.00 for the USB drive =$5,248,850.00..so think about our surround community...how many would pay almost $700 for the music...not anywhere near 7,500 people...the cries of anguish really start when it hit's $100 for surround music...and a lot less at times...and to further put this in perspective...the box set is on CD...not hi rez...but I guess one could argue that the price wasn't inflated considering there were 80 CDs in the set...so roughly $8.75 a disc....and the success of this title goes even farther...aside from the 2 versions of the $699.98 sets...they are still selling smaller versions of that title via streaming and smaller CD sets..the name of the title is 30 trips around the sun...I remember posting about it and watching the responses(like who would buy something that expensive).....here is a description
Here is an Ebay listing for the box set If you think because the price is high nobody will buy it....there are 12 people watching this listing even the empty box is more than most surround box sets here

Last edited:
Just to show you how loyal these Dead Head fans are...a great example is the box set that was priced at $699.98...or an option of a USB drive with all the music on it for the same $699.98 price tag...they offered 6,500 box sets and 1,000 USB drives for sale...and they sold out....so the gross amount is $4,548,870.00 for the box set and another $699,980.00 for the USB drive =$5,248,850.00..so think about our surround community...how many would pay almost $700 for the music...not anywhere near 7,500 people...the cries of anguish really start when it hit's $100 for surround music...and a lot less at times...and to further put this in perspective...the box set is on CD...not hi rez...but I guess one could argue that the price wasn't inflated considering there were 80 CDs in the set...so roughly $8.75 a disc....and the success of this title goes even farther...aside from the 2 versions of the $699.98 sets...they are still selling smaller versions of that title via streaming and smaller CD sets..the name of the title is 30 trips around the sun...I remember posting about it and watching the responses(like who would buy something that expensive).....here is a description
Here is an Ebay listing for the box set If you think because the price is high nobody will buy it....there are 12 people watching this listing even the empty box is more than most surround box sets here

Clearly the USB stick [shaped like a lightning bolt] containing all 80 albums in 96/24 FLAC appears to be the better deal [Hi RES] but 73 hours of music would be a daunting listening session, except for the most dedicated of deadheads.....of which I am definitely NOT [just VERY casual].

But surely, if we surround junkies were offered 73 hours of QUAD/5.1 for the same price..........WE'D ALL BITE!

There was obviously a tremendous amount of work involved in assembling this set so it's priced right.

But I see your point Clint. 7500 Dead Heads paid $700 for the privilege and we only obtained 589 signatures for the Steely Dan boxset proposal ............ TRIPLE YIKES!

Correct me if I'm wrong [maybe I was dreaming this] but wasn't the super deluxe edition of Guns 'n Roses Appetite for Destruction in that elaborate wooden case going for roughly the same price?

Clearly the USB stick [shaped like a lightning bolt] containing all 80 albums in 96/24 FLAC appears to be the better deal [Hi RES] but 73 hours of music would be a daunting listening session, except for the most dedicated of deadheads.....of which I am definitely NOT [just VERY casual].

But surely, if we surround junkies were offered 73 hours of QUAD/5.1 for the same price..........WE'D ALL BITE!

There was obviously a tremendous amount of work involved in assembling this set so it's priced right.

But I see your point Clint. 7500 Dead Heads paid $700 for the privilege and we only obtained 589 signatures for the Steely Dan boxset proposal ............ TRIPLE YIKES!

Correct me if I'm wrong [maybe I was dreaming this] but wasn't the super deluxe edition of Guns 'n Roses Appetite for Destruction in that elaborate wooden case going for roughly the same price?

Of the 589 signatures there is no guarantee that every one would buy one...happens all the time....and if you think "we'd all bite" for 73 hours of quad/5.1 at that price point......a good number of people turned down the Chicago Quadio set... which was around $100...with 9 surround discs...so you think these same people would buy a set that costs $700?....no way that would happen

Of the 589 signatures there is no guarantee that every one would buy one...happens all the time....and if you think "we'd all bite" for 73 hours of quad/5.1 at that price point...no way would that would happen....a good number of people turned down the Chicago Quadio set... which was around $100...with 9 surround discs...so you think these same people would buy a set that costs $700?....no way that would happen

I totally agree but I do think a properly done Steely Dan BD~A 4.0/5.1 boxset would sell in appreciable amounts.....that is, if it contained ALL their albums in 4.0/5.1 and in the case of AJA 96/24 Stereo [or even UP MIXED for the two missing multis].

BTW, Clinty, ARE YOU A DEAD HEAD?o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
I totally agree but I do think a properly done Steely Dan BD~A 4.0/5.1 boxset would sell in appreciable amounts.....that is, if it contained ALL their albums in 4.0/5.1 and in the case of AJA 96/24 Stereo [or even unmixed for the two missing multis].

BTW, Clinty, ARE YOU A DEAD HEAD?o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I like some of their music....love the 2 surround discs....Casey Jones is probably my favorite Dead song...

I just thought of something that many might not be aware of....these Dead CDs are HDCD encoded...I guess they have been doing it for awhile now...I think it was the idea of Rhino...in any event...the new series of Oppo(203 and 205)does not decode HDCD anymore....my 103D does...but my 203...which I haven't set up yet...won't be able to..so for those that might have a big collection of Grateful Dead HDCDs...this could be a problem...and it certainly will be a problem if you buy the 80CD box set...some CDs are encoded that way and don't advertise it...it wasn't an Oppo decision...it was the province of the chip maker...I think it's because Microsoft has some involvement with this technology...probably fees if I would have to guess..HDCDs aren't very widespread...but the Dead use it a lot on their music....just a heads up..

Last edited:
I have a few HDCDs but have never heard them at full resolution.
Tell the truth, can you hear an improvement?

I don't bother with stereo SACDs because I can't perceive any difference from redbook.
Just lucky, I guess. :whistle:
Limits my acquisition syndrome affliction to surround only.

I wouldn't quite say that I'm a full-bore hardcore Deadhead, but I do like them a whole bunch and did get to see them twice before Jerry died, with one of my best friends who is a hardcore Deadhead. Back in the late 80's and early 90's my friend actually followed them around the country for weeks or months at a time, several times. I went with him to two different shows, The Omni in Atlanta, GA on April 3rd 1991 and Buckeye Lake in Hebron, OH on July 29th 1994 (Traffic opened for them!). Here's a great site that has all of their shows listed by location and date, and what songs were performed: http://www.dead.net/shows

As far as high quality live concerts in 5.1 HD on blu-ray, I think I have everything that's available. There's Sunshine Daydream from '72, The Grateful Dead Movie from '77, and the Fare Thee Well 50th Anniversary 7 blu-ray disc set with Trey Anastasio from Phish on guitar/vocals from July 3rd, 4th, 5th 2015. There is also a separate two blu-ray set of just the last night. They are all very good quality picture and especially sound. All of them are in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD except for The Grateful Dead Movie which has the original theatrical audio and a newly remastered studio quality mix, both of them in 5.1 DTS-HD MA.

Keep on Truckin'! :smokin

I wouldn't quite say that I'm a full-bore hardcore Deadhead, but I do like them a whole bunch and did get to see them twice before Jerry died, with one of my best friends who is a hardcore Deadhead. Back in the late 80's and early 90's my friend actually followed them around the country for weeks or months at a time, several times. I went with him to two different shows, The Omni in Atlanta, GA on April 3rd 1991 and Buckeye Lake in Hebron, OH on July 29th 1994 (Traffic opened for them!). Here's a great site that has all of their shows listed by location and date, and what songs were performed: http://www.dead.net/shows

As far as high quality live concerts in 5.1 HD on blu-ray, I think I have everything that's available. There's Sunshine Daydream from '72, The Grateful Dead Movie from '77, and the Fare Thee Well 50th Anniversary 7 blu-ray disc set with Trey Anastasio from Phish on guitar/vocals from July 3rd, 4th, 5th 2015. There is also a separate two blu-ray set of just the last night. They are all very good quality picture and especially sound. All of them are in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD except for The Grateful Dead Movie which has the original theatrical audio and a newly remastered studio quality mix, both of them in 5.1 DTS-HD MA.

Keep on Truckin'! :smokin

Very impressive(y)..I'd say you are pretty close to being a full bore Deadhead...and there is nothing wrong with that...I'm always amazed at the dedication of their fanbase...very cool...

Very impressive(y)..I'd say you are pretty close to being a full bore Deadhead...and there is nothing wrong with that...I'm always amazed at the dedication of their fanbase...very cool...
I remember when I was a kid and saw some of their posters at K-Mart, with the skulls and trippy stuff and thought they must be like Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden, and then when I actually got to listen to them (at the time) I thought, this is some old country sounding crap! :ROFLMAO:

Listening to set 2 from the last night of the Fare Thee Well blu-ray concert right now, and there is actually very discrete surround information during the Drums/Space stuff and the bass on this set is just silly deep and powerful. Wow, I mean there's some stuff just flying around the room in all directions layered over the top of other stationary stuff from different locations in the room. :eek:

Edit: I have checked out the surround on all discs of the 50th Anniversary set tonight, and although the overall sound quality is exemplary, most of it is front imaging with some wrap-around, but the Drums/Space on all 3 nights is extremely surroundy, in the best possible way. Just crazy good. I Don't understand why they would only use this as an effect during the trippy section.

Last edited:
its an impressive set a friend of mine bought it, no where near as impressive as the europe 72 box though

Back