The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’ll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh......indeed I did! Man, they hit it out of the park. Willie has lost some of his vocal range but Todd & Kasim were both in really strong voice. And the whole band was really tight and had a ton of energy. Bummed that Roger Powell or Ralph Schuckett couldn't join in, but I was really blown away by how well the new guy tackled the keys. He was really spot on. I had only gotten to see Utopia once before (in 1984) so I have been waiting over three decades for a reunion. It didn't disappoint. Lots of great tunes that I thought I'd never get to hear live again. Will happily be catching two more shows. :rocks

3616.jpeg

OK, my turn to post at least ONE pic from tonight's SW Denver concert...IT WAS LOOOOOUUUDDDD!!!...I don't get it...SW is such a pioneer regarding aural sensitivities and he plays RIDICULOUSLY LOUD, at least on this tour cause on the other tours the volume was normal...He was VERY chatty, complimenting Denver as the coolest place in the US of A...I bet he says that on every city ;)
BTW, at one point during the concert and at least for two minutes the PA SYSTEM WENT SILENT!!!
EDIT: and yeah , I was pretty up front in spite of getting there about 10 minutes before they started..and it was PACKED!
SW DEN - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Less than 20 days to stop (hopefully) the round of bad luck I have with gigs (I missed Robert Plant because of being sick, Steven Wilson because of agenda issues... All of them double pain as I had already bought the ticket).
Next two ones in the same week: Nick Mason in London and Roger Waters in Madrid. Will I make it? Will I be send abroad at work? Pray your best prayers for me!

Less than 20 days to stop (hopefully) the round of bad luck I have with gigs (I missed Robert Plant because of being sick, Steven Wilson because of agenda issues... All of them double pain as I had already bought the ticket).
Next two ones in the same week: Nick Mason in London and Roger Waters in Madrid. Will I make it? Will I be send abroad at work? Pray your best prayers for me!

Ooooooh! Please report back about the NIck Mason show. I'm really curious to hear about it. Wish he was doing some shows over on this side of the pond.

Ooooooh! Please report back about the NIck Mason show. I'm really curious to hear about it. Wish he was doing some shows over on this side of the pond.
It's been said they'll play some songs up to 1971. I'm really thrilled about the prospect of listening songs such as interstellar overdrive or jugband blues live. I'll wet my pants if there's a proper old fashioned light show too.
I'll report back, will try to snap some pictures during the show too, if they allow me to

Just got back from a wonderful afternoon with the Chicago Symphony (with Semyon Bychkov conducting) at Hancher Auditorium in Iowa City, IA. The venue has been completely rebuilt after it was inundated in the flood of 2008. The new space sounds even better, which was no mean feat - the original was renowned for its state-of-the-art sound.

The program began with Bruch's Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra, Op. 88a, featuring pianists Katia & Marielle Labèque. Their explosive perfomance, in front of a world-class orchestra in an ideal acoustic environment, was nearly overwhelming. And the second half was just as great - Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony, Op. 58.

I was part of a crew that was renting some equipment to the venue for this show (comp tickets FTW, heh!), and heard a couple of amazing facts while backstage: First, the orchestra's flight was delayed an hour, so they arrived so close to the performance that there was no time for a rehearsal or even a warmup. Second, they were performing the Bruch for the first time in public, today! And yet, they simply filed in and sat down, and after a bit of tooting & sawing here & there, the lights went down - and they just nailed it. The sheer mass of virtuosity on that stage was breathtaking. Wow!

P.S. Sorry, no pics - strictly verboten. :)

Just got back from a wonderful afternoon with the Chicago Symphony (with Semyon Bychkov conducting) at Hancher Auditorium in Iowa City, IA. The venue has been completely rebuilt after it was inundated in the flood of 2008. The new space sounds even better, which was no mean feat - the original was renowned for its state-of-the-art sound.

The program began with Bruch's Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra, Op. 88a, featuring pianists Katia & Marielle Labèque. Their explosive perfomance, in front of a world-class orchestra in an ideal acoustic environment, was nearly overwhelming. And the second half was just as great - Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony, Op. 58.

I was part of a crew that was renting some equipment to the venue for this show (comp tickets FTW, heh!), and heard a couple of amazing facts while backstage: First, the orchestra's flight was delayed an hour, so they arrived so close to the performance that there was no time for a rehearsal or even a warmup. Second, they were performing the Bruch for the first time in public, today! And yet, they simply filed in and sat down, and after a bit of tooting & sawing here & there, the lights went down - and they just nailed it. The sheer mass of virtuosity on that stage was breathtaking. Wow!

P.S. Sorry, no pics - strictly verboten. :)
That sounds like a great performance...

OK, my turn to post at least ONE pic from tonight's SW Denver concert...IT WAS LOOOOOUUUDDDD!!!...I don't get it...SW is such a pioneer regarding aural sensitivities and he plays RIDICULOUSLY LOUD, at least on this tour cause on the other tours the volume was normal...He was VERY chatty, complimenting Denver as the coolest place in the US of A...I bet he says that on every city ;)
BTW, at one point during the concert and at least for two minutes the PA SYSTEM WENT SILENT!!!
EDIT: and yeah , I was pretty up front in spite of getting there about 10 minutes before they started..and it was PACKED!

Thx for the report - I'm seeing him next Monday down in Phoenix...will be sure to pack the earplugs! My choices for the tour were either Denver or Phoenix and normally Denver is the first choice as we always love driving up to Colorado for a road trip. This time though it came down to the venue - I've seen several shows at the Ogden and it's generally pretty good but this time I just wanted someplace with reserved seating which the Phoenix theater has. Also, taking an extra a day to relax in Sedona is always very nice - hey, I can have another glass of that "King Crimson" red ale!

Okay, back home after a long drive all day. Enjoyed the show last night quite a bit but it wasn't without issues. Yes, we got Ninet there live, but the logistics in the venue prevented him from using the huge back screen and the hologram screen....we just got a smaller back screen for the evening. We had great seats and nightlines and the sound was superb - not too loud like some have said other shows have been. The setlist was pretty standard for the tour, a few songs that aren't in my top list but a few that haven't been brought out in a while too. The highlight for me was probably the encore set of Blackfield, Postcard, Sound of Muzak and Song of Unborn. The musicianship was top tier stuff, really tight. Just a personal taste thing but I really do not like Adam's keyboard solo stuff - I find them really cliche and predictable....he's fine just doing his background keyboard bits, and his playing on the 2 "unplugged" songs during the encore was just perfect.

Okay, back home after a long drive all day. Enjoyed the show last night quite a bit but it wasn't without issues. Yes, we got Ninet there live, but the logistics in the venue prevented him from using the huge back screen and the hologram screen....we just got a smaller back screen for the evening. We had great seats and nightlines and the sound was superb - not too loud like some have said other shows have been. The setlist was pretty standard for the tour, a few songs that aren't in my top list but a few that haven't been brought out in a while too. The highlight for me was probably the encore set of Blackfield, Postcard, Sound of Muzak and Song of Unborn. The musicianship was top tier stuff, really tight. Just a personal taste thing but I really do not like Adam's keyboard solo stuff - I find them really cliche and predictable....he's fine just doing his background keyboard bits, and his playing on the 2 "unplugged" songs during the encore was just perfect.

No Ninet in Los Angeles but the visuals and performance were just outstanding :)

Bettye Lavette in State College. With four piece band.

Don't miss this woman--a vanishing breed of soul singer. Amazing! Performing her recent album--reinventing less-known Dylan tunes. Waay better than you might think...

Back