What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avant garde session🖖🌌
Roberto Cacciapaglia Sonanze
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Lagin, Lesh Seastones
s-l1600-2.jpg

I played a portion of it in QS but it seemed to have better balance in SQ, I see any reason for someone to go through the trouble of re-encoding it to QS just for the CD, maybe it's a licensing issue with sony/CBS because there is no sq logo or it could be a misprint

If you notice , that SQ is not the CBS emblem nor any other common quad SQ one, such as Capitol's , or EMI.

That is of course true with the cd indicated as QS , neither have that appropriate Sansui or CBS quad emblem.
and that is why I am asking if anyone ever figured it out.

Considering the type of music it is , it's difficult to ascertain.

Bob Dylan Desire
Took a chance and bought this for $26, outer cover has scratch but thankfully vynil was fine
View attachment 42870

Really love this one (have a Quad conversion); of all his Quads, this one is the one I want in a digital format, but sadly never happened in SACD.
But, what is this:
https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-Desire/release/6379063
An incorrect posting or an actual encoded CD?

I have this set, but not all Surround; I should run it through the SMv2 and see what's shakin'
https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-B...mited-Edition-Hybrid-SACD-Set/release/1702461

Really love this one (have a Quad conversion); of all his Quads, this one is the one I want in a digital format, but sadly never happened in SACD.
But, what is this:
https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-Desire/release/6379063
An incorrect posting or an actual encoded CD?

I have this set, but not all Surround; I should run it through the SMv2 and see what's shakin'
https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-B...mited-Edition-Hybrid-SACD-Set/release/1702461

i don't have that particular CD of "Desire", however based on several other Sony CDs with booklets with similar such Quad remix credits inside that are all plain Stereo and not the Quad, there's a pretty good chance of it being "just Stereo" and not the Quad but i don't know at all, sorry Pupster 😌

Didn't see any Quad symbols or info on the photos of the cover etc., but also plenty for a small price over in Europe -so what the hey!
What would it be QS, are there any SQ Cds out there?

being a CBS asset, it would be SQ encoded.. but if i were a gambling man i'd lay money on it not being the Quad, even though i'd love it to be 🙂

I've been wondering of late, could there a secret SQ CD of Message From Books and Dreams, the original release was quad single inventory? I've played an MP3 version through SQ/QS and it was definitely not encoded. The prices for the original pressing are astronomical
I see what you mean on the prices. Looks like 2 different labels on the Quad; - Real Records '73 and Bacillus '76 and a '93 Bacillus CD for only about $13+ shipping from Europe; could be another one to try.

All the way from Tokyo..
Santana & Buddy Miles gatefold
s-l1600-5.jpg

Welcome..
s-l1600-7.jpg
Festival.. Ive heard that the quad mixing isn't good on this one, there are a couple of quad effects like on the last song the sound switches to rear dominant half way through. This is lightest weight Columbia quad I've come across, it's almost like a dynaflex, still sounded good
s-l1600-4.jpg

All the way from Tokyo..
Santana & Buddy Miles gatefold
View attachment 43033
Welcome..
View attachment 43034
Festival.. Ive heard that the quad mixing isn't good on this one, there are a couple of quad effects like on the last song the sound switches to rear dominant half way through. This is lightest weight Columbia quad I've come across, it's almost like a dynaflex, still sounded good
View attachment 43035
Yeah, I've heard Welcome and don't think it sounds that bad, but Festival unfortunately is a mess IMO!

This one is not uncommon, but I'd never bought one before (despite loving the Boult performance) as the boxes are often tatty for some reason. However I was pleased to get this one in superb condition today:

P1020179.JPG

P1020180.JPG

P1020181.JPG

P1020182.JPG

Say it ain't so Freddie, Guinea Pigs are sweet little creatures!:p
I am thinking about being the GP on this at those prices. :unsure: - Seems they're all in your neck of the woods and be much cheaper shipping for you ;)
Also, I've got that in SACD from the box set, should drop that on my ever growing stack (massive) of discs to try on the SMv2 🤠

Last edited:
Back