Woolworth's Record Department (and Other 5 & 10)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

4293018014_02d6e2b78f.jpg

grant1.jpg

Woolco was very late to Chicago. They opened in the mid-70's and were gone by 1980. There were only a handul of them, but Woolworth's were everywhere. They had great cutouts, just as Woolworth's did. Sadly, I got woefully few Q8 cutouts, since I bought most of them the first day they hit the street. With stores like Korvettes and Rose Records, Woolco/Woolworth's record department had little interest to me.

Early Woolco store:
View attachment 14380

Later design, like all the Chicago stores:
View attachment 14381

View attachment 14382

how'd they do cut out Q8's? did they cut an extra notch in the cart! :ugham: wocka wocka wocka! :D

They usually burned a little round hole through the "end" label. The hole went through to the plastic.

they did what?!?!?...VANDALS!!! :yikes

I bet there's loads of Message In The Music Q8's rotting in a landfill dust bowl in the middle of the desert, the carts full of little burn holes! :p now everybody in Quad-dom wants one!

More wonderful pictures! Thanks, Linda.

I graduated from high school in '71 and, when I was a kid, our neighbors across the street had a red Rambler station wagon just like the one in that Fair picture.

Southdale was the first fully enclosed, multi-story, climate-controlled mall. That's what set it apart from other earlier "malls" which were generally called shopping centers before then. I sure thought it was huge when I first was in it in the early sixties. The Mall of America definitely dwarfs it.

Doug

When i first visited Southdale, Metropolitan Stadium, home of the Twins was where Mall of America is today. Schaak Electronics was a client of mine, and that was their best store.

I graduated high school in '72.

T shirt Schaak had made up for all their wonderful vendors, like me:
IMG_4725.jpg

I graduated from high school in '71 and, when I was a kid, our neighbors across the street had a red Rambler station wagon just like the one in that Fair picture.

Southdale was the first fully enclosed, multi-story, climate-controlled mall. That's what set it apart from other earlier "malls" which were generally called shopping centers before then. I sure thought it was huge when I first was in it in the early sixties. The Mall of America definitely dwarfs it.

Doug

I shopped @ Woolworths in Royal Oak, MI. Got Tulls Benefit Album there. Across the street was Kresges on Main St. There were a lot of other record stores in the area. The Gas Co. On Ten mile and Woodward records, posters, meditation room with blacklights. Purchased MC5 kick out the jams at the Gas Co.

Before we moved in June 1964 I lived in Irvington, NJ. We had a Woolworth's in the Irvington Shopping Center. I believe it was on Clinton Ave. I used to buy most of my 45's there. Despite the picture sleeves on some 45's, I always had a special feeling for the plain brown sleeves that most of the 45's at that time came in.

Lionel, famous toy train maker had part of their main factory in Irvington. Just thought I'd throw that in there. I'm sure Ed already knew.

:D

Doug

Lionel, famous toy train maker had part of their main factory in Irvington. Just thought I'd throw that in there. I'm sure Ed already knew.

:D

Doug

Thanks Doug. Actually I didn't know that, or if I did way back then, I have since forgotten. I do remember that every year around Christmas my father would buy a new Lionel train car for my brother and me to add to our sets. We still have them. I have a diesel engine and my brother has the locomotive. Used to buy them at Two Guys, another bygone Jersey store.

I believe Woolies were the top seller of singles in the UK in their time. In the early 90s the music department in one near me was called The Record Bar, IIRC.

W T Grants! One year buying plastic dinosaurs with my chore money, next year buying Exile on Main Street! Thanks for rattling the memories!

BTW: Southdale and Randhurst were designed by the same guy, Victor Gruen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Gruen

Southdale Woolworth's (outdoor view of store):
Unknown.jpeg
Image from Malls of America Blogspot: http://www.mallsofamerica.blogspot.com

Randhurst had a Kresge for about the first 15 years it was open:
Unknown-1.jpeg
Image from Dave at Pleasant Family Shopping Blogspot: http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com
Pleasant Family Shopping was Jewel Foods' slogan (Jools in Chicagoese).

Doug

It was so exciting to go to Woolco or Woolworth's for the 3/$1.00 45s. I could not afford albums even(when I was 9 to 12 years old), but to get top 20 hits a year or six months after they left the charts was an amazing deal. They were wrapped in sealed plastic, so there were minty!

I do recall the Q8s in the bins. It felt really strange to see a double pack Q8 set for $2.99. Shaft or Grover Washington in quad. Yet I could never get the player or system. I was stuck listening to quad Q8s on a standard stereo player just to hear the isolated parts. How pathetic, but I did it. But $2.99 was in fact a lot of money in 1974 to 1979 I thought.

Woolworth's
They were bigger in the UK than the US, and they were HUGE in America!
Woolworth UK 60's music page: http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1960s-newmusic.htm

Mission Hills, CA record dept. The Brookfield Square mall store west of Milwaukee had a similarly appointed department:
View attachment 12621

Gallowtree location record dept, Leicester, UK:
View attachment 12622

70's UK record dept:
View attachment 12623

Most Woolworth's stores had a record department. Downtown, old shopping districts, strip centers and malls. They were everywhere around Chicago and its' suburbs.

Downtown Chicago Woolworth's, on State St., that great street:
View attachment 12620

In the 80's, Woolworths began closing many locations around Chicago. There were tons of both full-price LP's and Pickwick titles being blown out for $1. 🍌

In my old neighborhood, we had 2 mega strip malls directly across from each other. One had Woolworth's, Penney's, Murphy's and Sears, all with record dept's. Across the street was McCrory's and Korvette City, which had both a record dept. and a hi-fi salon. Those were the days!

Kresge's, Grant's, Neisner's and Newberry's all had stores around Chicago, as well.
We had a G C Murphy's and a McCrorys in addition to the Woolworths. Not bad for a town of 25,000 in West Virginia! I'm sure they all had record bins but I think Woolworths was the largest in our town. This would be about 1960-68 and I was buying Christy Minstrels and Letterman discs, as well as some classical as my high school had a music appreciation class. What ever happened to those??
And I was recording the summer parks concert band series on my Shure 55S and a borrowed mono Wollensak. Didn't have any mike stands but I suspended it over the conductor with a rope strung across the rafters! Then borrowed another recorder (think it was a Lafayette Radio) to make copies for band members. Not too HiFi but I was having fun!
I had a cue set up with the conductor. If I took my baseball hat off, he knew I was changing reels and he'd talk a bit between songs till I put it back on! Those were the days of my youth!

The very first strip mall in my hometown had both a Woolworth's and W.T. Grants. As a kid I loved to go to the soda fountain at Woolworth's and get cherry cokes and milkshakes.
I remember when the Beatles came out on LP, I asked my Mother to pick it up for me. Well she let the lady at the checkout at Woolworth's talk her out of it, telling her she didn't want her kids listening to such trash! lol. I went back later and bought it myself with my lawn mowing cash and (I guess) the same lady tried to talk me out of it.

Back