Quad Mix Hall Of Shame (A List of Fake and/or Very Conservative Quad mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What absolute rubbish! Pretty ropey?! What are you listening to it on? A mobile telephone?! On a well-calibrated, decent 5.1 set up, this is a stellar, audiophile recording and surround mix. I've yet to play Both Sides Now in my listening room and see a dry eye to anyone listening to Joni Mitchell with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. The surround mix is beautifully done. Anywhere you walk around in the room, it sounds like you’re there in the auditorium and the London Philharmonic is playing. It’s an amazing experience. I've seen some clueless postings on this forum, but this takes the biscuit.
I beg to differ. The 5.1 mix can fold down to 4.1 or 4.0, depending on the settings in your player. As for the mix, I agree. It's excellent.

As Eastern Sounds is one of my favorite albums by Yusef Lateef; this "Quad" release simply named Yusef Lateef caught my attention awhile ago and I bought a cheap sealed one on discogs.

After mentioning it to our man @steelydave; he informed me of the bad news, that he believes it is a Fake Quad by the Everest Records Archive Of Folk & Jazz Music label, and probably mono.

Apparently it is a version of his 1961 album "Lost In Sound."

I should play it at least and see how the music sounds :rolleyes:

A couple of others by Everest that I found on discogs that have a QS logo on the back are these two-

https://www.discogs.com/Nat-King-Cole-Nat-King-Cole-Including-Nature-Boy/release/1511483
https://www.discogs.com/Ray-Charles-Ray-Charles-Volume-II/release/1828497
Collecting all things quad or purported to be quad, I picked up a copy of "Ray Charles Volume II" on Everest Records.

This release is rather interesting for several reasons. Firstly the tracks came from old 78 RPM records. Back then before digital they had to physically cut the clicks out of the tape that was made from those old scratchy records. That involved an incredible amount of tape splicing. I'm amazed that it worked as well as it did.

In the sixties stereo and mono records coexisted, by the seventies old mono records were routinely released as "re-channeled for stereo". Most of those produce almost no stereo effect, it would have been better to simply release them in their original mono form. It would seem that that same ineffective process was used on this record. "STEREO Electronically re-recorded to simulate stereo", "COMPATIBLE FOR STEREO AND 4-channel quadraphonic equipment".

At the time of this LP's release Quad was seen as a big thing, so I would assume that is why Everest went so far as to add the QS logo. That is odd for another reason it's use required payment to Sansui. Apparently Sansui was not impressed! I do wonder if the Sansui encoder was involved at all in the production of this record, but I highly doubt it.

Aside from the fact that it produces almost no quad effect it is still a rather good album, sound quality is OK but restricted in frequency response just like you would expect from an old 78.

Collecting all things quad or purported to be quad, I picked up a copy of "Ray Charles Volume II" on Everest Records.

This release is rather interesting for several reasons. Firstly the tracks came from old 78 RPM records. Back then before digital they had to physically cut the clicks out of the tape that was made from those old scratchy records. That involved an incredible amount of tape splicing. I'm amazed that it worked as well as it did.

In the sixties stereo and mono records coexisted, by the seventies old mono records were routinely released as "re-channeled for stereo". Most of those produce almost no stereo effect, it would have been better to simply release them in their original mono form. It would seem that that same ineffective process was used on this record. "STEREO Electronically re-recorded to simulate stereo", "COMPATIBLE FOR STEREO AND 4-channel quadraphonic equipment".

At the time of this LP's release Quad was seen as a big thing, so I would assume that is why Everest went so far as to add the QS logo. That is odd for another reason it's use required payment to Sansui. Apparently Sansui was not impressed! I do wonder if the Sansui encoder was involved at all in the production of this record, but I highly doubt it.

Aside from the fact that it produces almost no quad effect it is still a rather good album, sound quality is OK but restricted in frequency response just like you would expect from an old 78.
Sansui did have a "cease and desist" order served on Everest, for fraudulently labeling mono recordings as QS-encoded. Turns out, too, that Everest was allegedly using the QS logo without paying the royalty fee for it.

Does anyone know if there is a similar thread to this for Atmos? An atmos mix hall of shame?

I've done a search and not found one, but perhaps there is under a name that I've not thought of for search purposes. There are too many threads with Atmos in the title, to scroll through manually.

Such a thread could be quite interesting/informative, as this one is.

Does anyone know if there is a similar thread to this for Atmos? An atmos mix hall of shame?

I've done a search and not found one, but perhaps there is under a name that I've not thought of for search purposes. There are too many threads with Atmos in the title, to scroll through manually.

Such a thread could be quite interesting/informative, as this one is.

I'm far and away no expert on Atmos , but ;
Didn't I read somewhere on qq that the WEA Atmos music on streaming service consisted of a large number of faux surround , (inferior upmixes) ?
Perhaps initially?
You could start a thread.....(just sayin)

I'm far and away no expert on Atmos , but ;
Didn't I read somewhere on qq that the WEA Atmos music on streaming service consisted of a large number of faux surround , (inferior upmixes) ?
Perhaps initially?
You could start a thread.....(just sayin)
There were once around 200 WEA tracks that clearly featured fake Atmos mixes--basically a stereo image pasted into all the other pairs at different volumes. A few of us fulminated and complained and shook our fists for a while and did our best to keep a list. Eventually the tracks were retracted and/or replaced.

I own this delightful Angel SQ Vinyl but NEVER heard it properly decoded. Anyone have this and can comment on the mix?

S-36080* (SQ) Raymond Lewenthal: Toy Symphonies & Other Fun. CARL
REINECKE: Toy Symphony in C. FRANKLIN TAYLOR: Adagio & Finale
From The Toy Symphony. HENRI KLING: Kitchen Symphony, Op. 445.
DANIEL STEIBELT: Three Bacchanales, Op. 53. CORNELIUS GURLITT:
Toy Symphony in C, Op. 169. ETIENNE-NICOLAS MEHUL: Overture Burlesque

R-12340556-1533278454-3636.jpeg.jpg
R-12340556-1533278440-1683.jpeg.jpg

One of the few Angel SQ albums I bought , and it is good , not ambient.
I believe it received a reissue some time and with that, Larry Clifton recommended this album as there is actually instruments in the rear channels.
And yes I bought this album on Larry's say.

And then they should rightfully be called Q/FAKES [Q8] and QUAD LITES [SQ/QS vinyl]. Not to mention how many DVD/BD Concert Videos contain only ambience in the rears....probably 90%....or MORE!

BTW, Adam, does this thread come under the heading of FAKE NEWS?
But I like ambience quads.

Back