HiRez Poll Knopfler, Mark - ONE DEEP RIVER [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Mark Knopfler - ONE DEEP RIVER

• Total voters
On this one, I'm inclined to evaluate it for what it is, not what it could have been. I really like the music - think its well performed and beautifully recorded. I find it very relaxing to listen to, and makes me think of sitting at a table close to the stage at a very small club. However, Atmos demo material it ain't. I get that if people bought this expecting rock music like Dire Straits, or bought it expecting a killer Atmos experience, well, those folks are gonna be disappointed. Instead, this is a mostly ambience enhancing Atmos mix of mellow music with occasional discrete sounds in the height and side surround channels. I think it slightly edges out an upmix. It could have been a lot more discrete/bombastic, but to me it fits the laid back nature of the album and I'm OK with it. I'm rating it a 7, but others mileage may vary.

For this release, my Chane 753's throw out a huge holographic soundstage in stereo with an almost imperceptible difference from ATMOS. Pretty sure that will be my listening preference moving forward.
I can't defend the mix. I wish it was more aggressive as well.

I definitely hear more of a height illusion than any stereo source I've ever heard.

I haven't compared the Atmos to the Stereo tracks yet, but I did compare a few 5.1 DD tracks. That holographic image is notably diminished a bit. Maybe a function of the codec difference, maybe not.

I already said this using different words. But it bears repeating. if you are a stereo guy and you heard the Atmos version of this, it might not convince you it was a surround mix (except for the few surround clues it actually has), but you would be hard pressed to find a more realistic demo of imaging and fidelity. You would wish all your stereo stuff sounded this good.

, and makes me think of sitting at a table close to the stage at a very small club.
Yep. Exactly. If that is what they were trying to achieve, they nailed it. And that should be an achievement in itself. Wasn't uber realism one of the main tenants of early surround? I think we are too discrete-spoiled.

Got this yesterday. When I first put it on I thought, oh my goodness, I see what they're all saying. Then I discovered I'd accidentally selected stereo. When I changed it over, it was so much better. A lovely, full sound, though not a very adventurous mix, as has been noted more times than not. And not that much going on upstairs.

Musically, each song is a gem. And the bonus tracks are equally as good, and rather like a little mini album for you. Dessert.

Stand-out tracks for me so far are Black Tie Jobs, Watch Me Gone and Fat Chance Dupree. And while of course, it's not Dire Straits, the music evokes the band. And the songs feel like growers, songs that will stick around and I'll always feel happy to play now and then or when I might feel undecided about what I want to listen to. Eight.

.Musically, each song is a gem. And the bonus tracks are equally as good, and rather like a little mini album for you. Dessert.
I agree. Several of those bonus tracks could have easily made the album proper. They are far from filler that they tossed in. Like they had a 3 sided album and chose to release it that way. A lot of artists would have just stored those bonus tracks for the next album.

And then there is this:
https://www.markknopfler.com/news/the-boy-ep-out-today-for-rsd-2024/

I read somewhere that the EP came out of the same recording sessions as River.

I voted 8, 9, 10, I think I'm going to vote---------------
I had a big bias after listening to Apple Atmos, was convinced:
1. Music boring.
2. Front loaded Atmos mix.
My review is of the Blu Ray hard disc SDE #18.
Ripped using MakeMKV and Music Media Helper.
Listened in the 75db range.
Loved the onscreen graphics. I was wondering are the 3 bridges in UK or US? Are they a collage of 3 bridges or actual like Pittsburgh or Portland?
ATMOS: Wow, what a difference between streaming and hard disc, the latter being WAY better. 24bit/48Khz, DR's 11's, 12's, 13' 14's.
Streaming there is only enough juice to power the two front heights, the hard disc gets all 4 going.
I have been reading many QQ posts and why are we having so much trouble with such a sonically beautiful recording?
Then I read @MTB Vince review, see below, and he nailed it. All it needed was some guitar hero and would have upped everyone's vote.
There was a lack of musical variety that left me feeling decidedly drowsy on both listen-throughs. The album definitely would have benefited from the substitution of a few upbeat or aggressive/angry numbers to liven it up and provide a foil for the many melancholy-leaning story songs.
2.0 Stereo: Flat and even worse at 24bit/192Khz. Dynamic Range less than Atmos.
5.1 Dolby Digital (on the rip): Flat and even worse at 24bit/48Khz. Dynamic Range equal to Atmos.

Great release, confusing with music, lyrics great, sonic ability in Atmos stellar.
I'm all over the place, I know.
Bonus Tracks: in Atmos some stood out greater than the main album.

Plese Keep Poll Threads Pure To Your Listening Experience Only.

Streaming there is only enough juice to power the two front heights, the hard disc gets all 4 going.
I am getting much more front tops than rear tops. Are you saying the disc is doing the rear tops different than the stream?
2.0 Stereo: Flat and even worse at 24bit/192Khz. Dynamic Range less than Atmos.
Can you post the full DR #'s? I want to compare the 24/192 to the 16/44. Thanks.

I am getting much more front tops than rear tops. Are you saying the disc is doing the rear tops different than the stream?

Can you post the full DR #'s? I want to compare the 24/192 to the 16/44. Thanks.
What 16/44 ? I only saw 24/192 and 24/96 on the disc

Yes, when I listened via Apple4K the top front heights where getting almost all the juice.
When I listened to the hard disc, via a ripped MKV file the 4 tops where getting pretty much an equal signal.
There is no RBCD of 16/44.1
I only ripped the stereo off the Blu Ray, 24/192, DR's are 9's, 10's, 11's, 12.
See screen shot
Today 2.JPG

foobar2000 2.0 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2024-04-19 19:21:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Mark Knopfler / One Deep River (FLAC-DL)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR10 -0.70 dB -12.67 dB 4:05 01-Two Pairs Of Hands
DR10 -0.30 dB -11.84 dB 3:56 02-Ahead Of The Game
DR11 -0.78 dB -13.49 dB 4:27 03-Smart Money
DR11 -0.07 dB -13.74 dB 4:34 04-Scavengers Yard
DR10 -2.59 dB -14.96 dB 2:57 05-Black Tie Jobs
DR9 -1.43 dB -13.64 dB 5:28 06-Tunnel 13
DR9 -0.86 dB -12.08 dB 4:43 07-Janine
DR11 -0.46 dB -13.62 dB 5:02 08-Watch Me Gone
DR12 -0.20 dB -16.19 dB 4:17 09-Sweeter Than The Rain
DR9 -1.49 dB -13.25 dB 4:05 10-Before My Train Comes
DR10 -3.09 dB -15.02 dB 4:00 11-This One’s Not Going To End Well
DR9 -1.42 dB -11.99 dB 4:17 12-One Deep River

Number of tracks: 12
Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 728 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Just got my disc today. Really like it even if it's a front heavy mix, the fidelity is very good and the songs too. The heights on my setup has the same output on streaming and disc, full on in the fronts and about half in the surrounds heights.

Edit: Due to a technical glitch explained here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.35866/post-774663

this post is misinformed. I am leaving the text because it spurred some discussion, and therefore will provide context for that discussion. Sorry in advance!

Original Post:

There ought to be a minimum requirement for channel usage to call a disc Atmos. I call this "NotMos." You heard it here first (I think). The music is fine, sonics are fine, package is fine*, but the mix is nix. I rate it a 6 - 3 off for the mix and 1 off for false advertising. Sorry Mark.

Last edited:
There ought to be a minimum requirement for channel usage to call a disc Atmos. I call this "NotMos." You heard it here first (I think). The music is fine, sonics are fine, package is fine*, but the mix is nix. I rate it a 6 - 3 off for the mix and 1 off for false advertising. Sorry Mark.
The disc has a 5.1.4 channel output on my 7.4.4 setup and that's Atmos good enough for me. What channels do you miss? Would like to have output from the surround back speakers also but they are silent. There are output in the heights on all songs for most of the time, strong in the front heights, less so in the surround heights. Side surround and surround heights seems to be the same signal, but strongest in the sides.

The disc has a 5.1.4 channel output on my 7.4.4 setup and that's Atmos good enough for me. What channels do you miss? Would like to have output from the surround back speakers also but they are silent. There are output in the heights on all songs for most of the time, strong in the front heights, less so in the surround heights. Side surround and surround heights seems to be the same signal, but strongest in the sides.
Edit: Due to a technical glitch explained here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.35866/post-774663

this post is misinformed. I am leaving the text because it spurred some discussion, and therefore will provide context for that discussion. Sorry in advance!

Original Post:

The presentation is essentially stereo. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with stereo. I have plenty of stereo mixes in my collection that I love. But just don't call it surround (nevermind Atmos) if there is nothing of consequence beyond the stereo field. Sitting in a very nice room with a full calibrated Atmos system, the experience of this disc for me is no different than a competent stereo mix. As such, I cannot add any points for use of the surrounds.

Last edited:
Sitting in a very nice room with a full calibrated Atmos system, the experience of this disc for me is no different than a competent stereo mix.
There are advantages to this Atmos mix over this stereo mix. I also wish the Atmos mix was more adventurous, even taking in account the mellow material, but the Atmos mix is more dynamic, rich and fuller sounding than the stereo mix.

Sitting in a very nice room with a full calibrated Atmos system, the experience of this disc for me is no different than a competent stereo mix. As such, I cannot add any points for use of the surrounds.
Please point me to another, any other, "competent stereo mix" that you have that sounds as spacious and lifelike as this Atmos mix does. You can't get that effect with 2 channels.

The surrounds are used here. It's just not the way you want them used.

Please point me to another, any other, "competent stereo mix" that you have that sounds as spacious and lifelike as this Atmos mix does. You can't get that effect with 2 channels.

The surrounds are used here. It's just now the way you want them used.
Even if the stereo mix (DR10) was more dynamic, it still wouldn't sound as full as the Atmos mix. I normally despise "ambiance" mixes, but there is something special about this one.

Even if the stereo mix (DR10) was more dynamic, it still wouldn't sound as full as the Atmos mix. I normally despise "ambiance" mixes, but there is something special about this one.
Agreed. They used the technology to promote realism here. Something that is foreign to many of us, apparently.

Back