Inexpensive SACD Player - SONY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
OK. I usually buy high end stuff, but this SACD stuff has me intrigued, yet I am not ready to jump full tilt into another high end audio component - - - yet.

What I was thinking of was getting a cheap unit, using it near my PC, converting SACDs to DTS for use downstairs, and waiting on a real player. (I know, some of you probably think I'm nuts)

Anyway this SONY is only $217!!!! How bad is it? All I care about is the multichannel output to my PC. I don't care about video performance.

SONY DVP-NS500V
www.ibuydigital.com/index...045&com=25

:-jon

Jon,

Since it looks like to decided to forgo the Pioneer, you might want to check out the Sony SCD-CE775. A well respected SACD multidisc player that was selling for $350.00 two weeks ago but is now available at both Crutchfield and J&R for $200.00.

Mike,

Since I already have a DVD-A and Progressive scan Pioneer, I would prefer to wait and replace my Sony ES 300 CD player with a model that is SACD multichannel compatible. This will fit into my system better. Right now, I have a Pioneer DVL-91 combo LD/DVD player, a Pioneer DVR-7000 DVD Recorder, and a Kenwood DV-5900M DVD/DVD-A player that holds 403 DVDs. Adding the 47 would mean having a FOURTH DVD player. UGH! No room. That is why I was thinking of a cheapo until an ES carosel is introduced. I know it won't be long. My receiver has 2 6ch ext in sets of jacks, so that won't be a problem.

Sony does offer "ES" multi-disc Multichannel SACD players now. Check their SACD player web site at interprod5.imgusa.com/son...roduct.asp for details.

Models to look at would be SCD-C555ES and SCD-C222ES
(ES Series) and SCD-CE775 and the new DVP-NC650V
(non ES players).

>>That is why I was thinking of a cheapo until an ES carosel is introduced. I know it won't be long. My receiver has 2 6ch ext in sets of jacks, so that won't be a problem.<<

Brian,

I mean the ones that hold 300/400 CDs. So far, I have not seen one.

Hello all, I am new here but I wanted to share my thoughts about Sony's entry-level SACD player - the SCD-XE670. I have used a Toshiba SD-9200 since its introduction, but I am getting very disillusioned with the DVD-Audio camp ... especially with all of the money I wasted on Silverline titles, but that is another issue. I wanted an inespensive single-disc, multichannel SACD player and I found a NEW one at a local retailer for the Canadian dollar equivalent of LESS THAN US$150 ... including all of our Canadian taxes ... and it came with a Miles Davis disc. The sound quality is great, and I even managed to find a few stereo SACDs in the local used CD shop. I bought a new copy of Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow and it was GREAT. I am sold. Silverline and DVD-Audio can take a leap. I will now save up for a high-end SACD model, and keep the Toshiba for videos. Great forum here. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the compliments! And do check out the SACD Reviews section for some feedback on SACD titles and lists of top SACD discs. A number of good ones to choose from !

>>Hello all, I am new here but I wanted to share my thoughts about Sony's entry-level SACD player - the SCD-XE670. I have used a Toshiba SD-9200 since its introduction, but I am getting very disillusioned with the DVD-Audio camp ... especially with all of the money I wasted on Silverline titles, but that is another issue. I wanted an inespensive single-disc, multichannel SACD player and I found a NEW one at a local retailer for the Canadian dollar equivalent of LESS THAN US$150 ... including all of our Canadian taxes ... and it came with a Miles Davis disc. The sound quality is great, and I even managed to find a few stereo SACDs in the local used CD shop. I bought a new copy of Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow and it was GREAT. I am sold. Silverline and DVD-Audio can take a leap. I will now save up for a high-end SACD model, and keep the Toshiba for videos. Great forum here. Keep up the good work.
Doing Business on eBay as "theQuadFather"<<

I have known for awhile that there was another Quadfather on Ebay. Since I don't get on Ebay much anymore and since he uses the moniker Quadzzzilla on this webpage, I see no reason to have a fight over it. However, I have used that name for a long time, as it was given to me by a friend at the end of the quad era. So, I do claim the title of "first". Anyway, Quadzzzilla, welcome to the quad webpage, I hope you enjoy your time spent here. There is much useful information to be found here and friends to be made. Happy Hunting!

The Quadfather

Thank you for the welcome, and no Rob, I don't see an infrengement issue here. I too have used this nick for a long time. I have also been around since the quad days in the 70s. Actually theQuadfather1, you and I have done a few trades in the past under different names altogether. I used to have a website call GadJet's Quadraphonic Site, but I found little company so I just let it disappear. I think there is a lot we can learn from each other as well, so I am glad to be a member of this community. By the way, my name is Mike and I have learned to share that one as well.

Why don't we have a "QuadMother"?? (Maybe a QuadMutha) :D

"-jon

I don't think there are very many women that are into quad. They don't tend to go for what is highly technical. That's why you won't see a "Quadmother".

The Quadfather

Hey there,

If you can snag a CE775 SACD player, it's not bad at all. Okay it's no ES chassis, but it does a decent job. I scored a mint one with remote, manual & box on eBay for $130. No risk in that at all...

I'm in no hurry to replace it, two 400 disc changers sit below it. (along with a Denon LD/CD player and a portable DVD-A player on top and.....!)

Regards, timbre4

Yea the SCD-XE670 which does not play DVD's is a great unit for the price. In Canada(about $180($150US) Future Shop) But is not in the USA from what I hear. I think it does a great job with CD's as well.

Hi Guys
Just picked up a Sony DVP NC 650 V up here in Canada for 199.00 ( was 399.00 ) it was an out of the box demo model. Have not hooked it up yet ( still waiting for Oldfield,Satriani,James Taylor,Meatloaf,Carole King & Boston sacd's to show up in the mail. I'll keep you guys posted on how it performs.
Hey question for ya's ... any way to hook up a Pioneer DVD - A player and this new Sony SACD player into my amp Pioneer VCSX 711 with 5.1 DTS,Dolby at the same time. So i don't have to keep going behind my equipment to switch players depending on what format I want to use ?
Can i buy y- connectors and link them both up to the receiver at the same time ?. Not to have both players going at the same time mind you, but just to be able to use one or the other seperatly through the same receiver ?
Thanks
Dougi

Some where in these pages we've talked about how to do this with differing ideas . Not sure where it is but check the dvd sections , dts , and SACD sections It's in here ! I use , and Cai Use a db25 switch box and others use boxes from Radio Shack and I was lookong into building a box of sorts to do this for a cheap cost cutting method , still in the planing state thou.
Rob

Back