Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://theafterword.co.uk/jethro-tull-songs-from-the-wood-the-country-set/
Old Aces Die Hard, is an excellent long (9 mins) complex piece, apparently discovered in an almost finished state on a tape reel, presumably overlooked for whatever reason at the time and then subsequently forgotten. This song is a real find, only recently having been given its title by Ian Anderson, and, as Steven Wilson said recently, it is the undoubted highlight of the treasure chest of unreleased material that has so far been unearthed in this series.

This is a very classy release: 3 CDs, 2 DVDs, lovely remastering and mixing by Steven Wilson, an excellent surround mix and a scattering of original quad mixes. The concert video is very enjoyable (despite showing its age as far as the video goes), again with a nice surround mix. The audience noise is way in the background and seems to have been picked up from the band's mics (it was sort of strange hearing the audience far away in the front center when Ian is talking. SW has done a great job on this giving the recordings a warmth that was absent from the original CDs which always struck me as being a bit harsh. All in all a superlative release and incredible value at £19.99 (+p&p). Thanks once again to Burning Shed for their usual fine service. :banana::banana::banana:

I got mine this morning, listened to the 5.1 DTS 96/24 mix of the album and associated recordings, Soo bloody perb, everything so starkly clear and placed all around me, the main vocals being in the centre speaker and backing in the other 4, lovely highs and great lows.
I've only got through half of the book while listening, yes it's another great tome full of facts figures and rememberings from the band.
Now I'm hearing the included Quad mix.
A slideshow plays through the album, a different slideshow for the Quad.

TULLMBB.jpg

Listened to half of the 96/24 DTS 5.1 mix... hats off to Steven Wilson. He knocked it out of the park, as far as I'm concerned. First listen and all, bear that in mind. :)

Then the reality strikes! I'll have to wait :violin, I'm sitting in a hotel room on a business trip to the companies HQ....................so I won't get to play it until I'm back on the 27th :(

Also sitting in a hotel - in Chicago. Will be more than a week before I get to hear this - one of my most wanted discs! I will have to settle for following along from the road. More reviews please!

More reviews please!

Fourplay, you are in for a real treat. As we all have learned, Wilson's mixes are something to be treasured. As for Tull, this album is at times is seemingly composed for 5.1. There are keyboard tones that were revealed to me for the first time. This is my 2nd favorite JT album, (I won't mentioned my #1 - as I would be forever banned from this forum), I am very familiar with it. Wilson's placements are near perfect and each track seems to breathe new life. Old Aces is a GREAT bonus track as is the "Magic Bells" and early version of One Brown Mouse.

I have played through it twice and get to drive with it tomorrow. I have yet to check out the bonus DVD, but like all Tull book reissues, this package format (great book, great CD's, bonus tracks, 5.1 and quad mixes, video material, and bargain price) is what I can only wish we could have for a dozen more bands.

It is a 10 out 10 for me.
Ring out solstice bells.

I got this yesterday and it is really fantastic material!
The surround is excellent but most importantly the album is much better than i remembered.
The concert dvd is also excellent.
It was very interesting that they have had to do soundsynching with another sound source to get better audio.
Myself i used to upgrade pro and audience-filmings of concerts with better audio.
But to partly use audio from other concerts would have been completely impossible for me.
So i enjoy that disc both musically and technically.

Last edited:
Another unboxed:
[video=youtube;pYi3OE6W_lg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYi3OE6W_lg[/video]

Another unboxed:
[video=youtube;pYi3OE6W_lg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYi3OE6W_lg[/video]

Thanks for that :) I watched the first minute or so - then decided I wanted to wait for my copy to explore the set. But thanks for giving me that option... No, I won't tell you that you ruined this thread by giving it away. ;) We appreciate all the work you do.
:banana:

Thanks for that :) I watched the first minute or so - then decided I wanted to wait for my copy to explore the set. But thanks for giving me that option... No, I won't tell you that you ruined this thread by giving it away. ;) We appreciate all the work you do.
:banana:
Very kind, thank you.

:brew

Back