What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

Some more CD-4 LP`s came late today.

( RCA. CD-4 R4P-5032 - Elvis at Madison Square Garden )-
( RCA. CD-4 R4J-7047 -Dedicated to Paul Mauriat )-
( Philips. CD-4 4DX-11 - 4Channel Screen Music De Luxe Album )-

IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg

I shouldn't really be spending money on quad stuff at the moment, but these two Glenn Miller CD-4s ('A String Of Pearls' Vol. 1 & 2) from Japan have been on my wantlist forever, and at £6 each for really nice condition copies I couldn't resist the temptation.

Note that for Vol. 2, both the back cover and labels call the album 'Moonlight Serenade' - it's like they did all the artwork except for the cover first, and then went 'oh crap, we don't have cover art that says Moonlight Serenade...screw it, call it String Of Pearls Vol. 2!' but didn't bother to change any of the other text to reflect what it says on the cover. Has anyone heard these albums? Any good/discrete? At first I thought they were live albums (because of the front cover image) but some of the wording on the back makes it sound like they're studio recordings. They sound interesting on paper anyway, alumni of Miller's great WW2-era bands playing his most well known songs in conjunction with the then-current (1973) Glenn Miller Orchestra..

Glenn Miller Orchestra 'A String Of Pearls, Vol. 1' (CD4W-7023E)
glennmiller-SOP-v1-1.jpg

glennmiller-SOP-v1-2.jpg

glennmiller-SOP-v1-3.jpg

glennmiller-SOP-v1-4.jpg

Glenn Miller Orchestra 'A String Of Pearls, Vol. 2' (aka 'Moonlight Serenade') (CD4W-7024E)
glennmiller-SOP-v2-1.jpg

glennmiller-SOP-v2-2.jpg

glennmiller-SOP-v2-3.jpg

glennmiller-SOP-v2-4.jpg

Those Glenn Miller LP's are discrete and a couple of the most played CD4 discs in my collection. You got them at a decent price. If you like Glenn Miller, look for spare copies as you will need them soon enough. I use Chatanooga Choo Choo to make sure my demogitator is set up right. At one point a female voice sings in the rear right channel only and the backing men sing in the rears discretely. I love this kind of Jazz in 4 channel sound where you feel like you are sitting in the middle of the studio. So, yes, it is a studio recording and stunning at that. Enjoy!

Those Glenn Miller LP's are discrete and a couple of the most played CD4 discs in my collection. You got them at a decent price. If you like Glenn Miller, look for spare copies as you will need them soon enough. I use Chatanooga Choo Choo to make sure my demogitator is set up right. At one point a female voice sings in the rear right channel only and the backing men sing in the rears discretely. I love this kind of Jazz in 4 channel sound where you feel like you are sitting in the middle of the studio. So, yes, it is a studio recording and stunning at that. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, they sound fabulous! Instantly onto the shopping list they go.. will probably never find them but ho hum!

btw.. Do you mean Dave will need spare copies because he will wear the records out from playing them so much? ;)

btw.. Do you mean Dave will need spare copies because he will wear the records out from playing them so much? ;)

Yes I do. They were widely pressed in separate volumes and as a 2 disc set in a gate fold sleeve. There were at least 3 label variations. I played my first set enough that there are signs of wear. I am sure you will find them.

If you want to get some unplayed CD4 discs, check out this offer from Germany. I bought a set of all 10 and after a screw up with Canada Post, he was a stand up guy and resolved the issue. http://www.quadrophonie.de/englisch/h_gases_new_cd-4.html

Yes I do. They were widely pressed in separate volumes and as a 2 disc set in a gate fold sleeve. There were at least 3 label variations. I played my first set enough that there are signs of wear. I am sure you will find them.

If you want to get some unplayed CD4 discs, check out this offer from Germany. I bought a set of all 10 and after a screw up with Canada Post, he was a stand up guy and resolved the issue. http://www.quadrophonie.de/englisch/h_gases_new_cd-4.html

Nice offer.. shame it's not 3 Feliciano's, 2 Eagles, 2 Hail Mary's, a Bloody Mary and a Donny Hathaway for €55.. ;)

It may not be the best selection, but the Shoji Suzuki Live at Nemu discs are must haves.

I hear you Matthew, if the offers still available nearer Xmas, I'll go for it for sure..
I'm just having to be more careful than usual with the dough (re-mi) at the minute.. all the new equipment has pretty much wiped me out! :p

Incoming..! :p

Bette Midler - Divine Miss M. (CD-4),

Brecker Brothers - Back To Back (CD-4) (2nd copy, wasn't totally thrilled with the 1st one, not sure if number 2 is a huge improvement tbh.. are all pressings a bit "meh" with pops and ticks that no amount of cleaning can shift? If so, I'll give up looking for a 3rd!)

Eric Carmen (CD-4).

All by myyyyyyyyyself.. :music

Incoming..! :p

Bette Midler - Divine Miss M. (CD-4),

Brecker Brothers - Back To Back (CD-4) (2nd copy, wasn't totally thrilled with the 1st one, not sure if number 2 is a huge improvement tbh.. are all pressings a bit "meh" with pops and ticks that no amount of cleaning can shift? If so, I'll give up looking for a 3rd!)

Eric Carmen (CD-4).

All by myyyyyyyyyself.. :music

Adam, Hope you had a wonderful visit with the Kap. The KAP & Moi.

You're gonna LOVE the Divine Miss M. I have in on QUAD Open Reel and it's SUPERB! I saw Miss M perform it LIVE with backup singer Melissa Manchester and Pianist/arranger Barry Manilow in Syracuse, NY. THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

A PRIME candidate for the AF Quad Treatment.......

Adam, Hope you had a wonderful visit with the Kap. The KAP & Moi.

You're gonna LOVE the Divine Miss M. I have in on QUAD Open Reel and it's SUPERB! I saw Miss M perform it LIVE with backup singer Melissa Manchester and Pianist/arranger Barry Manilow in Syracuse, NY. THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

A PRIME candidate for the AF Quad Treatment.......

Oh thank you but it hasn't happened yet, it's today Ralph! :yikes

The official State Visit by His Royal Quadness, King Kap'n of Krunch, is today! :wave :worthy :woopie

Vices - Doobies (CD-4)

2nd copy (and hopefully the last I'll need, not sure I can stretch to a 3rd anyway after Bday blowout and equipment expenditure! :eek: ) since 1st copy has a big warp and 1st song on each side is rendered virtually unplayable (or rather in such a way it would freak me out to monitor in the vinyl playback and see that kinda pricey/delicate AT stylus bobbing up and down so wildly!) :D

These are my latest additions. The project 3 is another notch in the project 3 endeavor. The other 5 from JVC best 100 are just great. You can't go wrong on getting any project 3 or JVC's best 100 for good demo quality discs. As posted from Steeydave's 2 Glenn Miller discs, above in this thread, which are in the JVC best 100, they're just great and on my list.

Attachments

• Nashville Now CD4.jpg
    Nashville Now CD4.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 146
  • From JVC Best 100.jpg
    From JVC Best 100.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 156
I hear you loud and clear jwb474 and thank you for your recommendation to us all here, it certainly does not fall on deaf ears with me..
however, let me just briefly say where I think I'm at right now.. I feel I've kinda got to a point where I'm having to prioritise Quads of music I'd listen to regularly (its too late for the 5.1's, got hundreds of those doomed never to "play again, Sam".. :smokin ) oh and no disrespect to the music or to enthusiasts of it but for my current tastes I just would not want to reach for a Glenn Miller band record too often, I don't feel anyway.. maybe down the line I'll be lapping Glenn up, I never say never and let's face it there have been many (many!) Quads (and 5.1's!) we all pick up of stuff we'd never entertain in Stereo.. but at this stage of life, I think I've spent enough time and money and effort on this hobby and have a lot (lot) of records and SACDs/DVDs etc I need to get around to hearing before I acquire much more.. still have some "latest acquisitions to the pile" to post about here and there at QQ as got "new" stuff to take pics of and play through.. time, time, time, is always a factor.. boo! :p Thanks for the info though, jwb, I'm an elephant that never forgets.. ok, seldom forgets much of importance.. hehe.. see you soon! :upthumb

Back