Wondering How To Hook Up Quad System?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

Varian

Hi All,
Well I plan on getting a Sylvania DQ 3700 CD 4 Demodulator JVC 4DD 5, A Sansui QRX 3500, A Marantz - 490W 7.1-Ch. 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver, A McIntosh MC302 2-Channel Amplifier,A McIntosh mc303 3-Channel Amplifier, A Akai GX-280D-SS Reel to Reel,A Panasonic CD-4 Turntable Quadraphonic Quadrophonic Quad Quadro SQ RM QS Matrix and four pioneer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what inputs and outputs to hook up to what inputs and outputs on different units to get the system to play? Any info. on this would be helpful. Email me back.

Thanks,
Varian

What's your goal? Aiming for highest quality and cleanest source while having access to all older consumer formats? Or specifically focusing on the nostalgia of the older analog consumer formats?

Last edited:
If my goal was access to all formats, highest sound quality, and cleanest copy (and it is), then it's an easy one.

Use your computer for a media server.
Pre-thunderbolt computers:
Firewire (recommended) or USB interface into a surround receiver or amp setup of your own design. The quality of the DA converters in your interface determine the sound quality.

Newer thunderbolt computers:
Thunderbolt to HDMI cable to a surround receiver with HDMI input is the easiest. Here the DA converters in your surround receiver determine the sound quality.

Doing this gives you access to all modern formats and you can add any new formats that come out in the future. This also gives you the best sound quality for the money by a large amount over the restricted standalone disc players. This is also modular - you can upgrade any one component at any time and build on your system. No starting over or expensive repairs.

Access to old analog formats:
Obviously you need the hardware for the old formats. Then the goal is to make a clean transfer to 24 bit 96k digital.

Now if the goal is instead to actually listen to the old formats for the nostalgia of it, you already know what to do.:)

There's also an entirely different digital encoding system from LPCM digital that is called DSD and lives on SACD's. This requires completely different digital converters to use. There are very few options for converters here. The standard consumer fare in the affordable multi format standalone hardware disc players and then Prism, with nothing in between. Not good. Myself, I convert these to LPCM. It sounds better converted and then played through quality DA converters than natively with a budget SACD player. I invested in Apogee converters so I'm just not going to run out and get expensive DSD converters.

I'm still using pre-thunderbolt computers here. My main interface is an Apogee Rosetta 800 192k with the firewire card. I use my own amp setup simply because I have it but a nice surround receiver is a good and really convenient option.

If you get a surround receiver MAKE SURE it has either analog inputs (all 6 channels for 5.1) and/or HDMI input that has not been disabled. You'd think such things would not even exist but people make things to rip other people off!

With all the Quad format wars, I must have missed the "Quadraphonic Quadrophonic Quad Quadro SQ RM QS Matrix" format. I would assume that this turntable has a CD-4 demogitator built in. With a DQ 3700 and 4DD5, that would make three in that system. It must be for 12 channel, triple Quad sound. :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

Instead of hooking up 5 channels of MacIntosh amps to a Marantz 7 channel, I would suggest hooking the Macs up to an Electrophonic compact. It would be more authentically Quad, and it would allow one amp channel to be at rest. On the 5th channel, He rested.

Anyone who has done the 12 channel or Electrophonic/MacIntosh, Or can tell me where to buy those Quadraphonic Quadrophonic Quad Quadro SQ RM QS Matrix records, E-Mail me back.

Is this the Panasonic CD-4 Quadraphonic Quadrophonic Quad Quadro SQ RM QS Matrix turntable?
E-Mail me back.

0.jpg

Back