Acura drops DVD support on TLX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntegraVT

I guess it was inevitable, but it looks like the new 2015 Acura TLX has dropped DVD-A playback in the ELS system similar to the recent RLX and MDX redesigns.

Looks like the only way to get 5.1 in the TLX is through DTS-CDs since multichannel WMA/AACs or even just FLAC are still not supported.

I'm a little disappointed since I've really enjoyed this feature on my last few cars.

Sad news, but not unexpected. I am not sure if it's the manufacturer of the hardware, Acura, or ES himself who gave up on DVD-A.

If Panasonic (or whoever makes the hardware now) just said "We can't make DVD-A players anymore", I don't think Acura would have cared, maybe ES would a little, but in the overall scheme of things, DVD-A is a tiny dot on the Pandora/iPod/MP3 audio scope of most buyers (and sellers) of cars.

Might be a good time to get an end of the year new Acura when the next model drops DVD-A for those inclined to get one. Close out deal, and you get a DVD-A player.

Of course, since they first came out in 2004 in the TL, there will be 10 years of used Acura's around for quite a long time. It's just a shame that there is no way to play a 5.1 audio file in a car from say a USB stick. That would be the ticket! :)

Same as Mercedes... I habe the C-class from 2010 were the comand still plays DVD-A but i got the New c- class with the New Generation of the comand-system where the DVD-A Funktion was eliminated... i tryed a Seal DVD-A and a Depeche Mode DVD-V ...Seal was not recognized and DM was playing over the menu the dts-layer.

I would also love to see that a system could play mc-flacs from USB or harddrive:mad:@:

And the golden age ends with a thud.:(

I could see ending DVD-A support if there was no longer a disc player, but to have one that plays DTS-CDs and not DVD-As? Is it that much more expensive to have it be able to read both formats?

Maybe if we kick up a fuss with Acura they will reinstate it in 2016.

And I am the Queen of Romania.

I have publicly nagged Acura and ELS that they should have a Blu Ray audio capable player before leaving DVD-A out in the cold. Marketing thinks otherwise.

From QQ deep space

It was not a contact, just an assumption on my part. Doubt they talk to customers like us on a subject like this.

From QQ deep space

Hers a question (probably stupid) but when these acuras come to the end of their road lifes can the ELS systems be removed and installed in another vehicle? Can one go to an Acura wrecking yard and buy a used ELS system?

Hers a question (probably stupid) but when these acuras come to the end of their road lifes can the ELS systems be removed and installed in another vehicle? Can one go to an Acura wrecking yard and buy a used ELS system?

I suppose you could, but since it's an engineered system, it would probably be a bit tricky. I am not sure how much is in the head end and how much is in the car itself, other than the speakers. Also, they are custom built for each model, so putting them into a different car would be quite entertaining. :mad:@:

A lot of manufacturers tie the music system into the engine management system for security so it can't be used if stolen, so it might be possible to put it in another Acura if an Acura dealer can reprogram it. Hit-&-miss at a guess.

I love my 2010 Acura MDX. What a great sound system! I'm starting to look into getting a new car and it is quite disappointing how many luxury cars are dropping DVD-A support.

I was eagerly waiting the 2015 Hyundai Genesis with the 17-speaker Lexicon Logiq7 system. The previous years supported DVD-A. I drove the 2015 Ultimate package this afternoon and it did not play my DVD-A. It did play the DVD-V portion of Porcupine Tree's In Absentia which sounded amazing. Nonetheless, true lossless DVD-A support is a no go.

I just got a TLX. I reported the lack of DVD Audio to the dealership, Acura, and every new car survey I was sent. It is the first complaint about the car, even to JD Power. Otherwise, the car is great!

Back