Buying Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I hope this doesn't go off topic, but it's relevant. Where are we best to order from to ensure getting a copy? Or no way to know? I already placed pre-order last night from Amazon......

Gents, what's the best shopping alternative for us in Europe? A tracked parcel from amazon.com raises the price up to 56 usd!

Gents, what's the best shopping alternative for us in Europe? A tracked parcel from amazon.com raises the price up to 56 usd!

None of my beeswax but why go tracked/insured in the first place? (Unless you want it quicker?)

fwiw, I've never had an Amazon.com parcel (directly from Amazon in the States, I mean, rather than the marketplace) go awol yet (and there's been 1 or 2 over the years.. :eek: )

None of my beeswax but why go tracked/insured in the first place? (Unless you want it quicker?)

fwiw, I've never had an Amazon.com parcel (directly from Amazon in the States, I mean, rather than the marketplace) go awol yet (and there's been 1 or 2 over the years.. :eek: )

Two reasons mainly: Tracked parcels includes a provision for custom fees (I had a bad experience with customs last year with Vernon Fitch's books) and lately here in Spain USPS and even Royal Mail parcels are beginning to get "lost". The last one lost by Royal Mail was Nine Lives boxset a couple of months ago and I feel like my copy of Sanctitude is also lost. Of course Amazon replaces all lost shipments, but the waiting and the whole process is a pain in the butt. And well, euro to dollar exchange rate is not what it used to be anymore... (you lucky Brits with your pounds!).
Is it listed in ImportCD already? Could not find it

You have to realize that it's not being released until June...I doubt that price at amazon will be the final price..it will be lower...the other outlets haven't even listed it yet...importcds and the other "usual suspects" will have this title...I imagine acoustic sounds will continue their usual pricing structure..around $30...but having said all that..when I bought those Doors SACD's 2 years ago they were $30 then(I got them with 10% off)and look at the price now..so it's not out of line for this to be priced where it is now...and another thing..don't worry about not getting the disc...it will be available unless you wait a while for it...which in your case I know you won't..

Like I said earlier...that amazon price wasn't firm..it's dropped to $27.99 HERE...and Joe Cocker's disc is the same price HERE...and it's SO early...the other usual suspects will have this disc too so it could be even cheaper...I did lock in the price at amazon for both of these titles FOR NOW...and I will watch the other outlets as the release date moves closer...

AWESOME!!! Nice find my man...I hadn't checked back at Amazon...though my order is in.

Like I said earlier...that amazon price wasn't firm..it's dropped to $27.99 HERE...and Joe Cocker's disc is the same price HERE...and it's SO early...the other usual suspects will have this disc too so it could be even cheaper...I did lock in the price at amazon for both of these titles FOR NOW...and I will watch the other outlets as the release date moves closer...

AWESOME!!! Nice find my man...I hadn't checked back at Amazon...though my order is in.

I wish amazon wouldn't do that...they just float a price out there in the early listing and then they reduce it when other outlets get advance notice of the disc...it discourages people who aren't aware of other outlets that will sell the same product at a cheaper price.....then they rush in like they are saving you money on the release...kinda like the used car salesman that goes down the hall and talks to his manager about giving you a better deal on a used car(n)..I used to love amazon but find myself doing less business with them...

Agree - I still do a lot of business, but I certainly have been buying from others.

I wish amazon wouldn't do that...they just float a price out there in the early listing and then they reduce it when other outlets get advance notice of the disc...it discourages people who aren't aware of other outlets that will sell the same product at a cheaper price.....then they rush in like they are saving you money on the release...kinda like the used car salesman that goes down the hall and talks to his manager about giving you a better deal on a used car(n)..I used to love amazon but find myself doing less business with them...

Isn't the price they "float out there" the MSRP. It isn't just something they make up. Then they price to match competition. Sounds reasonable to me. Plus if you order with them, they will give you the lowest price offered between when you order and when it ships. The only way that would be a bad deal is if they held MSRP the whole time (hasn't happened on my orders yet). I don't have any problem with it. I trust their shipping to get to me on release date, and the price ends up being fair.

Isn't the price they "float out there" the MSRP. It isn't just something they make up. Then they price to match competition. Sounds reasonable to me. Plus if you order with them, they will give you the lowest price offered between when you order and when it ships. The only way that would be a bad deal is if they held MSRP the whole time (hasn't happened on my orders yet). I don't have any problem with it. I trust their shipping to get to me on release date, and the price ends up being fair.

That's an interesting point you bring up about the MSRP..the starting amazon price was over $32 and I can't remember seeing that price used on AF's OWN website HERE and its their own product...but it appears to be a "flex" suggested retail price as importcds uses $33.98..but the difference between importcds and most of the other places is they don't start their prices at that level like amazon does...and as far as price matching the competition...try telling amazon that the price of that disc is $21.26 at importcds and see if they price match it...I've tried and they wouldn't..even considering that the price for shipping and handling on importcds is still cheaper than amazon's...I'm not saying that they are price gouging..because they aren't...but like you said they never sell at this so called MSRP and it's a little disingenuous to proclaim how much they saved you when it ships as it was never going to be sold at the initial inflated price...a self-fulfilling prophecy is created...amazon knows that if they are even close to what other outlets are selling it for their prime customers will purchase thru amazon...to justify their prime memberships...if you don't use their streaming service you would have to make 25 transactions under $35.00(the free shipping threshold)to break even for the cost of prime membership...

Again...I'm not saying it's not a fair price..I just wish they would stop the vaudeville act and let potential customers know what the price is from the start..some potential customers that aren't tied to amazon with prime might be put off by the price and lose interest in the title...

For those who pre-ordered from Amazon looks like the price went down to $27.99 at some point.

Attachments

• doors_preorder.jpg
    doors_preorder.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 338
You can now pre-order from ImportCDs...

http://www.importcds.com/best-of-the-doors/780014220624

FYI - They've re-branded their site - it looks a bit better, but its still a bit clunky in terms of usability...(IMHO)...

Edit: Or even worse you can't see order status online... :(

I liked the old site better. What's kind of funny the new site shows Paul McCartney "New" SHM CD currently in my cart. That's from a long time ago.

Whats even funnier I clicked the item and it says Sorry, we couldn't find that product.

You can now pre-order from ImportCDs...

http://www.importcds.com/best-of-the-doors/780014220624

FYI - They've re-branded their site - it looks a bit better, but its still a bit clunky in terms of usability...(IMHO)...

Edit: Or even worse you can't see order status online... :(

I just pre-ordered two. Great price, but they hit my CC right away. (I get notices from Amex whenever there is a 'non-present' purchase added to my card - a nice feature btw)

Back