HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - PLAYING THE ANGEL (SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - PLAYING THE ANGEL

• Total voters
I'm finally venturing enter the world of Depeche Mode on SACD. I bought this one as my first release of theirs since it's the cheapest (lol)
Hopefully if I enjoy this one, I will buy more in the future, but the SACDs are so expensive!!
It's not easy being a surround buyer, especially if you're not an early adopter, like I wasn't! ;)

I'm finally venturing enter the world of Depeche Mode on SACD. I bought this one as my first release of theirs since it's the cheapest (lol)
Hopefully if I enjoy this one, I will buy more in the future, but the SACDs are so expensive!!
It's not easy being a surround buyer, especially if you're not an early adopter, like I wasn't! ;)

If you're not a total SACD bigot, the DTS 96/24 versions aren't bad... for the few DM SACDs that I don't have I've got the DTS (only) versions - & still available at a reasonable price...

I've owned this Hybrid SA-CD+DVD since it came out in England but at that time had no SACD hardware - I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the 5.1 mix on the DVD version, however, and I have to say it isn't one of my most regularly played albums.

I recently remembered (!) that my end of line Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-S780) which I got for a snip at Richer Sounds last year plays back SA-CD, but for some reason never remembered I had this until recently.

I finally had a window of opportunity to play the SA-CD layer of this album today, outputting DSD over HDMI to my Pioneer AVR, the VSX-923 (another recent acquisition also bought for peanuts at Richer Sounds).

To say it has reinvented my appreciation of this album (from 'meh' to 'oh wow') is an understatement - phenomenal. It's a super MCH mix (I pride myself on having a very well-calibrated AVR), and there are some great but very subtle things going on both in the bass channel and in the rears.

Maybe it's because it's the first MCH SA-CD I've listened to properly all the way through, and it's so much better than either the stereo or DVD versions, but time to splash the cash on some back catalogue SA-CDs methinks (already arrived today is Supernature by Goldfrapp - £3 second hand off Amazon, on their way DSOTM, Downward Spiral, A Broken Frame, Love Kraft).

I also discovered I had an SA-CD copy of War of the Worlds which I'd bought from Woolworths for a few quid when they were closing down about eight years ago. I also own an old Pioneer DV-565A player which was a universal player but never really got used as such and is now in mothballs.

I'm looking forward to hearing new and familiar titles on SA-CD. Okay, I'm 15 years late to the party, but what the heck - looks like with Sony reintroducing it into their Blu-ray players, there is still a hardcore of audiophiles around...

Among my favorite DM albums. Sounds incredible in SACD. Soooo thankful my set came with the SACD, which I didn't know until reading this thread and taking a closer look at the packaging.
Thanks again QQ!
Solid 9 from Baggy.

This is one of the first M/C SACD's I purchased. For some reason I always pass it by and grab something else to play. I have had some time on my hands recently and it's great to dig deep and pay attention to some of these lonely discs.
I think Depeche Mode was made for surround playback. There is so much going on in their mixes. The surround may not be real active and then all of a sudden something will poke out.
When I started this disc today I immediately cringed and told myself "ahh this is why I never listen to it"
The loud stuff really has a bite to it. I tried the DTS version and it smoothed out a little but the bass got "flabby" on me. Patiently went back to the SACD and got used to the sound.
The mix really reminds me of the Peter Gabriel "UP"
SACD. It's great!
Why did I pass this by for so long? Believe it or not I hate the cover art..pretty sad but I've been re-educated. This will be in my rotation from now on.

Mix: 5/5: Discrete, sensible stuff up front, supporting stuff in rears, with some nice quirky bits - little sounds appearing, and panning, to add interest. A mature, nuanced mix.
Sound: 5/5: Sounds powerful without being tiring. Voice sounds good but all the myriad synth noises sound really great. Lots of quiet, deep stuff. Sub gets used a lot but still tastefully.
Music: 3/5: Nicely minimalist with dark synth burbles. Enough guitar to save it from being just a bunch of synth noises. Good vox. Not very catchy as songs, but if thought of as short 'sound pieces' they are great.

Weighted score = 5*3+5*2+3*1 = 15+10+3 = 28/30 = 9.33/10 = 9/10.

I have the DVD. DRDB (the dynamic range database) reports that the DVD is slightly better DR than the SACD, though both are miles better than the CD, apparently, which goes as low as DR=2!

Back