JW's War Of The Worlds - First Impressions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMabuse2001

I have been fortunate enough to be given check discs on the upcoming "Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds" MC SACD and thought I would post. I know there is a lot of interest in this release...

First of all let me say...after listening all the way through it made me quite melancholy for the bygone days of the Rock Opera! This may have been one of the last of it's kind and for those of us old enough to remember this period of the 70's this one was always unusual and VERY British. Unfortunately I have no liner notes whatsoever with the discs so I am approaching it blindly since I don't think I have heard JWWOTW since I retired my vinyl in the early 80's. I do remember most of the performers involved but I have no detail on any of the new remaster. That being said, here are my impressions on my first and only listen.

VOCALS
The Richard Burton narration has some interesting placement. It seems to be anchored in the dead centre but slightly above which gives it an authoritative feel.
The different lead singers are placed firmly in the front soundstage - very similar to what you would hear on a top notch stereo representation. The various backing vocals stretch into the surrounds, but more for choral effect than for "effect". I was very impressed with the way the vocals sounded overall.
As an interesting variation, when the characters "speak dialogue per se" they are placed in different areas. eg. When Richard Burton is talking to the Soldier early on - Burton is in the front left while the soldiers voice is placed in the right surround, giving an interesting spatial effect. Very kewl!

MUSIC
The drums and bass are in the front soundstage and the orchestral parts appear to be behind them which makes complete sense if you think of this being "staged" But for those of you who love surround despair not!
A large part of the guitar work is distinctly in the back channels making it really "pop". Also I found the synth work, which is also very prominent in this project also amplified in the surround.
They make very creative use of "effects" in all the channels whether it be the "close encounter" type call of the martians, the heartbeats or the lasers.
The surround mix I thought was TOP NOTCH, involving, dynamic and not gimmicky. The source material lends itself so well to this type of mix.

I think anyone who is familar with this project will feel like they are realy hearing it for the first time. Although it definitely sounds really dated in some places, especially the "disco drums" on a few tracks there are other areas where it is outright shocking in it's dynamics. While the bass is very subdued in the early part of the production, there is some intense stuff later in the program that solidifies that this is the way it was intended to sound.
I had forgotten how "Moody Blues" this project sounds, even when Justin Hayward is not singing.

All in all - a real crowd pleaser I think and no doubt worth the wait for all us surround nutz out there!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

/\/\

Wow! Thanks for the "preview". Will be interesting to hear the final product!

Thanks for your comments.
In the UK and the rest of Europe, the album is already being distributed to the public. I've got mine 2 days. Nice to be earlier than the US for a change ;-)

Now if only i had a sacd player... Have to go shopping this weekend.

cisciokid said:
Thanks for your comments.
In the UK and the rest of Europe, the album is already being distributed to the public. I've got mine 2 days. Nice to be earlier than the US for a change ;-)

Now if only i had a sacd player... Have to go shopping this weekend.

I have a copy from Amazon.co.uk and it is a very well done 5.1 Surround Sound mix.

The interesting development is that in the last day or so, the European Amazon web sites are now showing the disc as being a pre-order again, due out on July 5th! So it appears that the full European release of the SACDs is now also slated for July 5th. An interesting switch.

See the write up on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19437495 for more details.

If anyone gets the "super" edition, please post and let us know what you think...

JonUrban said:
If anyone gets the "super" edition, please post and let us know what you think...

Well, the "Super Edition" has the same 2 Surround Sound SACDs as the regular one. What is added is the Making Of... DVD and the 4 CDs of extra takes, etc. over the years.

..........about the "extras"!

FYI - I ordered an "eBay" one. I'll post when it arrives.

It's definitely available in the UK - I bought a copy from the big HMV on Oxford St. in London last monday. I've given it a couple of listens and I'm very happy with it. Lots of discrete stuff in the rears - strings, voices, and even some guitar solos. The sonic quality is excellent as well, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Dave.

steelydave said:
It's definitely available in the UK - I bought a copy from the big HMV on Oxford St. in London last monday. I've given it a couple of listens and I'm very happy with it. Lots of discrete stuff in the rears - strings, voices, and even some guitar solos. The sonic quality is excellent as well, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Dave.

It's a fun one. The sonic quality is a bit dated. But that's not surprising given the 1970's era of the master tapes.

Sounds like Rick Wakeman stuff, you know ,Journey To The Center Of The Earth and that King Arthur one. I remember how cool I thought they were! I'll have to pull them out of the closet and give them a spin on the QRX.

"War of the Worlds" is available directly from US Sony. You can see the title here. Until the end of June, you can save an additional 10% by entering the coupon code of JUNESALE. All orders over $25.00 will receive free shipping as well. The 2 disc version of "War of the Worlds" comes to $17.08 after the 10% off discount. On a related note, the 10% off coupon code will work on other Sony SACDs, even those on sale at $13.98, making them about $12.58/each.

soundboy said:
"War of the Worlds" is available directly from US Sony. You can see the title here. Until the end of June, you can save an additional 10% by entering the coupon code of JUNESALE. All orders over $25.00 will receive free shipping as well. The 2 disc version of "War of the Worlds" comes to $17.08 after the 10% off discount. On a related note, the 10% off coupon code will work on other Sony SACDs, even those on sale at $13.98, making them about $12.58/each.

It's in U.S. music stores now. Saw it at Tower Records for $25.98 and over at Fry's in Palo Alto for only $19.98.

To say that I'm pleased with the new 5.1 SACD of War of the Worlds is putting it mildy. I even sprung for the deluxe edition (and saved some money by ordering it directly from Sony thanks to Internet posts). The high quality of the packaging and the extra content immediately removed any lingering doubts I had about the premium price. Okay -- not ALL doubts were removed. The remix disc is basically a 'best of' version of the UlladubUlla CD (which I already had). The outtakes are interesting, but the 93-minute documentary is... well, "bland" is a good way of putting it. Even the CGI snippets are subpar (and boy, was I looking forward to it).

My $.02 on the 5.1 mix: It is indeed a mix of "immersive" and "active" mixing, but in a quite clever way. Discrete effects (and yes, even an occassional panning) are present, but used in appropriate places. The music is nicely balanced throughout so that you don't get a sense that either the front or back channels are calling attention to themselves. The recording itself sounds MUCH cleaner and brighter than previous releases, though that's probably not surprising. I heard many, many new aspects of the music in the 5.1 mix that were previously buried in the old 2.0 version. And yes, I do believe they've added/changed a few things here and there -- they just couldn't resist -- but nothing that even approaches being labled "heresy."

The only "down side" to ordering the deluxe package is that it's so nice that I've gone ahead and ordered the two-disc version to preserve it from repeated plays (I expect the deluxe package will pretty much be unavailable several months from now).

On the whole, I'm left feeling this way after listening/experiencing this: :sun

.... I picked this up last Friday at Best Buy and returned it today(Monday)...I really wanted to like it and have to admit...the mix is pretty cool but after all is said and done....I just can't see myself playing this multiple times. At $25 I didn't want to sit on it for long either. Luckily , since I knew it was the only copy the store had...I was able to return as a defect and get store credit.
On the plus side I must say..the packaging and booklet are excellent. The surround mix as i said is well done. (It's obvious some effort went into it!)
However, on the negative side (IMO....) It does sound very dated with the cheesy disco drum sounds and same repetative themes throughout the 2 discs.
TimW

My friends and I played this to death in 78 but I did not play it in the 80's 0r 90's. The disco sound in the opening is very dated and the same themes are played over and over. Still I am loving this re release. My girlfriend will not let me play it in the car as she finds the whole idea stupid. This makes me like the idea of narative rock even more. Maybe she is mad that she thought Orson Wells wrote the original and I laugh at her.
Anyway this is a great mix of a strange project.

Thanks,

This is why I joined!
Your review is just what I wanted to read. I hope that when I have a jump on a product I can be just as articulate.

bmoura said:
It's in U.S. music stores now. Saw it at Tower Records for $25.98 and over at Fry's in Palo Alto for only $19.98.

For the underprivileged who live in the Salt Lake City area, Music To The Maxx has these on sale for $18.99 today and next week

Back