Opeth - Still life in surround (no pun ^^)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baker

First pre-order available here :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Still-Life-%2BDVD-Opeth/dp/B0013N4AT0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1204576587&sr=8-3

It had been postponed forever and I wasn't expecting any release, but Peaceville confirmed it.

Those who don't own this album should take their chance with this release, for Still Life is one of the very best "extreme metal" albums ever. Very dark, very gloomy, very intense, and very, very romantic. I absolutely don't have a single clue about how it will sound in 5.1. Hoping for the very best...

(...By the way, did I use the word "very" ? :)

Last edited:
I too am really excited about this release, but I'm also a bit hesitant.

The last (and first) time Opeth did a 5.1 mix (Ghost Reveries) it turned out to be utter crap. The surround added nothing to the music, it even sounded worse than the original mix to my ears. If I'm not mistaken, Ghost Reveries was done by Jens Borgen and he's the one doing Still Life, too.

Jens did Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance in 5.1 after Ghost Reveries, IIRC, which was a bit better (though not aggressive enough, IMO) so there's definitely still hope for Still Life.

In any case, Still Life is an amazing album, my favorite of Opeth's, and it's worth it just for the stereo version. If the surround mix is done right, I'll be ecstatic.

Here's the ad from the record company. For the most part I agree with coren about GR, there are a few reasonable (surround) moments, but not enough.
Now is it mentioned anywhere what they will use for the 5.1, DTS or Dolby?

I too am really excited about this release, but I'm also a bit hesitant.

The last (and first) time Opeth did a 5.1 mix (Ghost Reveries) it turned out to be utter crap. The surround added nothing to the music, it even sounded worse than the original mix to my ears. If I'm not mistaken, Ghost Reveries was done by Jens Borgen and he's the one doing Still Life, too.

Jens did Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance in 5.1 after Ghost Reveries, IIRC, which was a bit better (though not aggressive enough, IMO) so there's definitely still hope for Still Life.

In any case, Still Life is an amazing album, my favorite of Opeth's, and it's worth it just for the stereo version. If the surround mix is done right, I'll be ecstatic.

Indeed, Bogren pretty much fucked up Ghost Reveries in 5.1 but Katatonia was pretty great (though I agree: it could have been a tad bit more aggressive in using more of the rear speakers). I just hope Still Life's been mixed right; it certainly has potential... Benighted could sound awesome!

Due to Opeth's past association with him, I was hoping Ghost Reveries would have a surround mix similar in approach to Steven Wilson's mixes. I guess his mixing style hadn't rubbed off on Jens Bogren unfortunately. Maybe this time...?

The DD and DTS on Still Life is 5.0, not 5.1.
Is it not more like 4.0 :confused: JB is known to hardly use the center channel.
But even that could be OK. Mixes from 4.0 all the way up to 6.1 can be used for music.
4.0 being the "corner stone" ;) the other channels to extend on that.

Is it not more like 4.0 :confused: JB is known to hardly use the center channel.
But even that could be OK. Mixes from 4.0 all the way up to 6.1 can be used for music.
4.0 being the "corner stone" ;) the other channels to extend on that.

Well, no time to listen to it yet. Maybe over weekend. Only had time for a quick scan and my dvd player confirmed on the readout on front panel that there is no LFE track. It does show a center though, but how much is there I can't say yet.

Upon a quick listen, it sounds decent. Plenty going on in the rears and center channels. Also, there's a dts option, so you're not stuck with only DD.

So far I'd say an improvemnt sound-wise compared to Ghost Reveries . Wish I had time to listen to all in the sweet spot, but I don't.

It's one hell of an improvement from Ghost Reveries! That's for sure!

The sound quality is pretty good IMO and the mix is actually 5.1 this time (unlike GR which was basically just added reverb) with lots of stuff in the center channel. I hope Watershed will be even better...

Back