2001: a space odyssey on the big screen

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup, a digital copy...the sound was definitely ..bad!!! cutoff at 12-15 K!!!!
and I can bitch about it, but watching in the big screen...digital crap aside...definitely was worth it....
http://www.yelmocines.es/promociones/2001-una-odisea-del-espacio

Hi Kap, at least you got to see it on a Big screen, definitely worth it if you never have. I'm going to try, heh, "The Sound of Music" at our local Megaplex in a week or so, Info: http://www.fathomevents.com/event/the-sound-of-music

In the Dome theater's case, perhaps "Digital projection" was not up to speed for that large of theater and was not invented for it. It was just a bummer seeing the wrecking ball go down on theater and the startling A-B, night and day experience of what was, and what is now.

The good thing about Digital is it does offer revival movies a chance to be seen in theaters again, and perhaps the technology is, or will get much better. It should afford smaller independent films a wide audience and live performances/concerts, to be shown. Would definitely see 2001 again on large screen in any format.

i seen this movie long time ago but able to recall only "also sprach zarathustra" by Strauss and chimps in spaceship.
perhaps need to watch again. sometimes after the years one (particularly such slow like me) may discover hidden
message in the movie or book :)

I saw it as a 9 year old on a cruise ship going from New York to Goteborg Sweden (Svenska Amerika Linien...my father worked for them), I was completely baffled, though I liked the apes with the monolith. A few years and mind openers later and I love all Kubrick's work!

I thought the parts I was able to stay awake for were good. Good effects and audio, but what a boring-sleepy story. And predictable in parts.

That's the problem with this film today. It's still a classic, but it's not very exciting compared to modern sci-fi films. If you set a little kid down, or even a teenage kid, to watch it, they get bored out of their mind. 40+ years ago, the special effects were so new that the story was only part of the experience. Today these effects are standard TV show fare. Those who grew up with Avatar and films such as that do not have the patience for a film like 2001.

Sort of like a baseball game in a way.

That's the problem with this film today. It's still a classic, but it's not very exciting compared to modern sci-fi films. If you set a little kid down, or even a teenage kid, to watch it, they get bored out of their mind. 40+ years ago, the special effects were so new that the story was only part of the experience. Today these effects are standard TV show fare. Those who grew up with Avatar and films such as that do not have the patience for a film like 2001.

He was referring to my post about Interstellar...not 2001...but your point about 2001 is certainly spot on..what they do now in the area of special effects is much more advanced and the long periods of silence in 2001 don't bode well for the attention span of contemporary audiences..it's like watching those fight scenes in the early James Bond movies compared to later productions..the fight scenes look so fake in the early Bond movies..

There are some who think parts of "2001" are deliberately boring as a way of showing how mundane space travel had become or maybe how mundane humans still were even with all that technology at their fingertips.

Even if that's true, I think a bigger part of the problem for modern audiences is that the screens are very rarely still huge and sheer scale was intended to be part of the experience.

It originally had reserved seating

I don't know if it's how they usually do things, but when I saw "Avatar" in Hollywood I bought the tickets online in advance and had reserved seats. There was even a problem a few seats away when two parties showed up with the same assigned seats...it turned out one of them showed up on the wrong night!

I too, have lost the fun of "going to the movies" sad to say. Turner Classic Films had a Cinerama revival at the L.A. Cinerama theater you went to, a few years back. Not sure if it was any good or not.

EDIT: Link: http://2013.filmfestival.tcm.com/venues/cinerama-dome.php

I have yet to see Cinerama down there at the Dome, but was fortunate to see it up in Seattle several years back, even if they didn't quite build the screen properly.

There was a fuss a few years ago when the Dome sold advance tickets for a Cinerama showing of "How the West Was Won" only to have people show up from out of town and learn that the theater was closed for some private event!

I have yet to see Cinerama down there at the Dome, but was fortunate to see it up in Seattle several years back, even if they didn't quite build the screen properly.

There was a fuss a few years ago when the Dome sold advance tickets for a Cinerama showing of "How the West Was Won" only to have people show up from out of town and learn that the theater was closed for some private event!

Turner Classic Films had a week long marathon of Cinerama, in 2013 with the link, that showed just about every Cinerama ever made. That would have been interesting. Regarding our Dome, there was still to the end, supposedly, the three windows there for Cinerama projection. So, it was "future proofed" and had a beautiful Tall, Curved screen until they did a remodel of screen in the 2000s (photos are of remodeled screen). This gives one somewhat an ideal of some scale of inside theater, although original screen was much wider and deeper. The photos do not give justice to how big it was in there, and yet did not take up that much space on lot. Still a great design IMHO for 950 seat Theater. Fortunately, the original designs still exist for the 20 or more Domes destroyed over the years.

Top photo shows last showing of any film there, 2001. Note how the digital projection does not seem to fit screen right, (at least from what I could see):

Dome_Theater_Interior_-_Pleasant_Hill,_California.jpg
dome.jpg
century21.jpg

I have 2001 in Laserdisc (the Cirterion box set supervised by Kubrick himself), DVD and BD...of course , I know it by heart and it was still very thrilling seeing it on the big screen. It is one of my earliest memories as a child-Mom taking us to see this in 1968- I especially remember the close up on Dave's eye as he was travelling down the "wormhole"..
As I mentioned, the sound was muddy, although separation was good- it IS an old movie ,but they could have done a better job..

Regarding the "digital cinema", I was talking about it with a workmate and we both agreed that the problem is that the projector uses a different light which , for now is not as bright as the old film ones, and obviously , the fact that it's projecting a digital image with LEDs(I may be wrong) will NEVER be the same as a bright bulb behind a strip of film.
STILL, the colors were quite good, it's just that the definition, brightness, contrast etc. is way lower than film.
(EDIT: IIRC , the definition of 35mm stock film is about 2-3K pixels vertically, so, although a BD still comes up short, it'll getting there eventually)

As for Cinerama, I'd have LOVED to see ANYTHING with the 3 projectors but I was too young at the time...funny how 2001 , it's still credited as being in CINERAMA when it obviously wasn't, and IIRC , the aspect ratio is something like 220 , not 235 as normal Panavision , although it later states it was in SUPER Panavision.

Ahh, the special effects. Funny that it should be mentioned. Both 2001 and Interstellar have a LOT in common because their directors wanted realism. Look up how many things were REAL in interstellar and not CG.

As it is this chain of theaters shows a "classic" every week (with subtitles , thankfully, not DUBBED) and we'll see what comes next...

I saw this film for the first time in 1979 and I was impressed. I was unprepared what to expect. Especially the sheer length.
I remember the story to be the "middle part" with an unclear first and last part (the apes and the infinite ending).

Many aspects of this film are seen in later SF flicks (like wide screen spaceships, cryonics type sleeping).
Now on the DVD / BluRay I think you get the Directors Cut, that may even be longer than the original (it even contains music without image to play in the break).

I don't like the "psychedelic" end part very much. I think it's much too long, sounds awful and I don't really get it. But I found a remedy for it :smokin. Just play Pink Floyd's - Echoes over that part and it becomes an enjoyable experience. If you need help with syncing look here.

I have 2001 in Laserdisc (the Cirterion box set supervised by Kubrick himself)

Mine rotted!

As for Cinerama, I'd have LOVED to see ANYTHING with the 3 projectors but I was too young at the time...

Ever make to England? http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/film/widescreen-weekend.aspx

funny how 2001 , it's still credited as being in CINERAMA when it obviously wasn't, and IIRC , the aspect ratio is something like 220 , not 235 as normal Panavision , although it later states it was in SUPER Panavision.

Right...Super Panavision = 65mm negative with a 2.20:1 aspect ratio. It's a nomenclature oddity, I suppose...the "Super" is less wide than the non-Super, though it's higher resolution.

A little off topic, but... For all you stargazers, here are the latest images of Pluto and Charon taken by New Horizons's onboard camera. It's still a little out of focus, but better than the first images. Anyway... What an odyssey!! Sometimes it's hard for me to get my head around the idea of that little spacecraft (or Voyager & Pioneer) out there on the edge... It takes my breath away.

Scroll down. At the bottom of each link is an informative video.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/29/8517137/nasa-pluto-new-horizons-gif

http://earthsky.org/space/new-horizons-first-color-pic-of-pluto

And, beyond the infinite... Here is a cool image that shows where Voyager 1 & 2, Pioneer 10 & 11, and New Horizons (actually New Horizons position is now at Pluto) are... http://space.stackexchange.com/ques...neer-10-11-and-the-voyagers-ultimately-headed

Last edited:
Who knew computers could read your lips,..................... dam costly error

Back