Aerosmith coming to dvd audio?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greg Br

Direct from MTV News - June 19, 2002

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While Aerosmith are on the road, Douglas will be in the studio remixing Aerosmith's early albums in 5.1 surround sound for release in the DVD audio format. He will also coordinate commentary tracks that will feature him and the band talking about the recording sessions. "I mean, if we can remember," he joked.

"I cant wait for that, 'cause when I grew up, my idea of listening to music was to get exactly between the speakers, get just the right volume and like completely go into a trance," Hamilton said. "So now it's gonna be coming from behind you and all over the place."

Tyler, always the jokester, chimed in: "Yeah the only 5.1 we had back in the '70s was your mom yelling, 'Turn that sh-- down!' and then we turned around."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So whats up with this!

They must not know the difference between an SACD and a DVD-A......I mean, they FORGOT that they has 3 QFi LPs??

:-jon

Yeah, no kidding! Were the guys in Aerosmith so drugged out that they can't remember having released their LP's in surround sound already? Maybe it's just old age and Alzheimers is setting in...

Argh! It's like nobody wants to admit that quad ever existed!

True!

but the bigger news is this is a sony/columbia based group coming out with dvd-a seems a little strange. I belive they have a stereo album already out on sacd.

Let 'em pretend Quad didn't exist. They don't want to admit they (the record companies) tried this before. They don't want the same result. We don't either.

The Quadfather

>>They must not know the difference between an SACD and a DVD-A......I mean, they FORGOT that they has 3 QFi LPs??

:-jon <<

It wouldn't be the first time we've had an article that talks of a Sony Music artist releasing a DVD Audio disc that turned out to be an SACD release.

As for Aerosmith, their "Just Push Play" album is already available on a Single Layer Stereo SACD (Columbia CS 6208:cool: .

If they are remixing the early Aerosmith albums, then they are probably creating entirely new 5.1 surround mixes vs. using the original quad master tapes (as Sony did with the Ship Ahoy and 3+3 Multichannel SACD releases).

These guys (AEROSMITH) probably think that a multichannel SACD is a DVD-A. I doubt that they would have the clout to get SONY to release a DVD-A!!!

I mean, how many RCA SQ LPs were there? Columbia CD-4's?

:-jon

It will be interesting to see what Sony is planning to do with all the extra commentary tracks that are being recorded to go along with the 5.1 music mix.

How do you have commentary video tracks with SACD, maybe this is a multi channel dvd video disk.

Another quote from the mtv news item:

"Instead of having the Geffen part and the Columbia part separately, it's got the whole thing," Aerosmith bassist Tom Hamilton boasted of his band's new compilation. "I don't know how our manager did it, but the record companies got together on this one."

"It's called money, Tom," answered singer Steven Tyler.

Well it seems not only Columbia is involved but Geffen as well.

Let's wait and see.

Frank

>>How do you have commentary video tracks with SACD, maybe this is a multi channel dvd video disk. <<

Could be. There have been past instances when rumored Sony DVD Audio releases turned out to be Multichannel DVD Video releases vs. Multichannel SACD releases.

Or they could be doing both - DVD Video and Multichannel SACD from the same mixes/material.

<""Instead of having the Geffen part and the Columbia part separately, it's got the whole thing," Aerosmith bassist Tom Hamilton boasted of his band's new compilation. "I don't know how our manager did it, but the record companies got together on this one.">

Frank, This section of the story you're quoting has nothing at all to do with their reference to remixing their early stuff to 5.1 surround. Try going back and re-reading the article again (link below). This section of the news story where they talk about getting Geffen and Columbia to work together is in reference to a new all-encompassing Aerosmith greatest hits Redbook CD that will be called "O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits", which BTW can be pre-ordered now at Amazon.con for $18.99 (link below).

As for the possibility of a dvd video, anything is possible, but can anyone name any non-live studio albums that have been released as dvd music videos after the fact. Please do not list compilation titles like Madonna's Immaculate Collection. The cd is not a studio album, but is a compilation of hit singles. The dvd music video is a compilation of the videos of those singles. I'm very interested to see if anyone can come up with any.

Aerosmith News Story

Aerosmith's Greatest

>As for the possibility of a dvd video, anything is possible, but >can anyone name any non-live studio albums that have been >released as dvd music videos after the fact.

Wasn't Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland released on DVD video? I believe the Grateful Dead's Anthem of the Sun was released on DVD video also.
Brian

Brian,

The Grateful Dead dvd is actually titled "Anthem To Beauty" and is a biographical behind the scenes video tracing their roots and experiments in music styles covering the time between the two albums. The Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" dvd, although it takes it's name from the album, is also a behind the scenes movie including words, music, rare archival film footage and is based on a contemporary diary kept by one of Hendrix's employees. Among those contributing are Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell, who worked with Jimi Hendrix in the Jimi Hendrix Experience; legendary singer and keyboard virtuoso Steve Winwood; Eddie Kramer, who engineered the Electric Ladyland studio sessions; and, in his last interview, Chas Chandler, who was responsible for nurturing Hendrix's early success and who managed his career. So as you can see, neither of these are videos of the studio albums.

mike

Back