Akai CR80DSS static problem.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnold_layne

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a like new Akai CR80DSS. The problem I have is during playback of quadraphonic tapes, on program two, I will get some intermittent static in the right rear channel. If wiggle the cartridge side to side while playing the static gets worse. The static does not happen on all quad tapes however. Although I am not getting any bleed through or crosstalk from program 1, could this be a head alignment issue?

Steve

Could be as simple as demagnifying the heads. If you do not have a service manual, you can get one here -> http://www.hifiengine.com Manual is free, but you need to register for an account to download. I signed up about 2 years ago, and am not aware of ever receiving any spam from them.

De-magnifying the heads did not fix the problem. Strange this issue only happens on some quad tapes, but not all. I'm hoping someone here who's done repair work on this type of deck will chime in on the possible cause.

Steve

I have one of those units in my "fix someday" area, it does the same thing, a lot of static when a tape plays. It's probably a grounding problem.
Way back in the 1980s, I Frankensteined an old Q8 player with a reel-to-reel transport to play Q8s at a more regular speed for making reel copies, but I got a lot of static when playing a tape, static that was not present on either unit before they were united. It was the same noise, and only present when the tape played across the head, if I pulled the tape away from the head, no noise.

I have one of those units in my "fix someday" area, it does the same thing, a lot of static when a tape plays. It's probably a grounding problem.
Way back in the 1980s, I Frankensteined an old Q8 player with a reel-to-reel transport to play Q8s at a more regular speed for making reel copies, but I got a lot of static when playing a tape, static that was not present on either unit before they were united. It was the same noise, and only present when the tape played across the head, if I pulled the tape away from the head, no noise.

I guess it could be a grounding problem, but it only happens when the deck is in 4 channel mode and in program 2. I guess the right rear channel of the head is losing ground when the head changes position possibly. I'll have to take it apart and inspect things and pour over the schematics. I'm not a technician, or even remotely capable of repairing electronics.

A_L

I guess it could be a grounding problem, but it only happens when the deck is in 4 channel mode and in program 2. I guess the right rear channel of the head is losing ground when the head changes position possibly. I'll have to take it apart and inspect things and pour over the schematics. I'm not a technician, or even remotely capable of repairing electronics.
A_L

based on all your input, I may be all wet here, but when something only happens on some tapes, not all, and only is on track "8", the bottom outside track on the tape, and taking into consideration the fact that most 8 track tapes, quad or otherwise, if not rebuilt, have very old and probably deteriorating baking foam holding the tape to the heads, I would probably look first at a tape problem as opposed to a hardware problem. If the problem occurs on the same tapes, not randomly among your tapes, this would indicate a tape problem.

If the noise is random, meaning it rotates to where all tapes can sometimes recreate the problem, and your tape unit has never been serviced, you might have old lubricant/dirt build up that occasionally will prevent the head transport from seating properly in Quad position 2. Just enough case disassembly to get access to the trasport is all that is required to gently clean with q-tips. Based on your statements, after seeing some the additional posts, until these steps are verified, I would not attempt to repair any electronics.

I'd agree with geotex. Could be some graphite has gotten onto the recorded side of the tape.

Back