Alice Cooper - School's Out 2023 Remaster

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have a (odd) question for anyone that has a complete original vinyl copy of Alice Cooper's "School's Out" LP. I am talking about the one that could fold out into a desk and came with a pair of panties. WB didn't include the panties except for the first run of the album because it was determined they were flammable and could be a fire hazard. (I have no idea who decided to test this ...) I have an original copy with the fold out desk cover (still unfolded and intact) that I bought used, but it is missing the panties.

I am going to get the new remaster and am tempted to get it on vinyl (although I prefer to have it on CD) to get the reproduced package, but the photos on Rhino's website shows the panties to be white. I remember them being pink in the original issue. Can one of you that has a complete original copy please check that and let me know. It will make my decision as to which format to buy easier. Thanks!

I had the original back in '72, and I'm thinking the panties were white, but I'm not positive. It's been a few years.

Finally found a picture of an complete original pressing. The ones in the pic are pale blue/white. Also found this:
"The vinyl record inside was wrapped in a pair of white, pink, yellow or blue paper panties, though this was later discontinued as the paper panties were found to be flammable." So I guess the remaster is faithful to the original. I wonder what color is rarest?

Finally found a picture of an complete original pressing. The ones in the pic are pale blue/white. Also found this:
"The vinyl record inside was wrapped in a pair of white, pink, yellow or blue paper panties, though this was later discontinued as the paper panties were found to be flammable." So I guess the remaster is faithful to the original. I wonder what color is rarest?
Now there’s a project for the OCD completist! Collect all four!

It's not worth getting into big argument over a relatively trivial matter. The jacket is easily flammable.

Doug
how easily something burns is the definition of “flammable”. Yes. A record jacket would burn if you held a flame to it. As would any piece of cardboard. But if these paper panties were truely “flammable” and that was the reason they were pulled it was probably for something like someone could drop a lit cigarette on them and they would burst into flames.

You may be right and they weren’t any more flammable than the record jacket and the excuse was BS, but also maybe not.

I'm guessing the real reason was that each pair of panties had to be put on each record by hand in the record plant and is was too much of a pain to continue doing after the initial run. And it adds to the collectable nature of the release for the true, buy it on the first day Alice Cooper fans.

Back