Amon Tobin - Chaos Theory

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
Seems like this one slipped under the radar: Amon Tobin - Chaos Theory.

I have a few 12" singles by Amon Tobin and really like his work. I would term his music "atmospheric techno". Not quite trance, not quite techno... somewhere in between.

Anyway, I almost shi+ myself when I saw this on the DVD-A rack at tower. Apparently, Amon Tobin did the soundtrack to the video game "Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory". Don't let the video game connection turn you off, this is a great disc!

Cai Campbell said:
Seems like this one slipped under the radar: Amon Tobin - Chaos Theory.

I have a few 12" singles by Amon Tobin and really like his work. I would term his music "atmospheric techno". Not quite trance, not quite techno... somewhere in between.

Anyway, I almost shi+ myself when I saw this on the DVD-A rack at tower. Apparently, Amon Tobin did the soundtrack to the video game "Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory". Don't let the video game connection turn you off, this is a great disc!

I remember having a listing for Splinter Cell on DVD-A, but Amon Tobin's name was not on the release information and I didn't make the connection. Cool!

I have this.

It's (mostly) techno music but with real instruments. Bass, drums, flute, Hammond organ, mellotron, strings. Aggressive mix. Don't think of this as video game music, it's really techno/world/pop, sort of, that happens to be used in a video game.

24/96 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 - no native stereo, just downmixes. Actually, there is AAC stereo for iPods and such, and even AAC 5.1 for who knows what kind of devices.

Well worth buying.

You can hear stereo samples at places like mp3.com, and somehow if you have the right setup, listen to a whole track in 5.1 here:

http://www.tuner2.com/index.html?ondemand=1&

(it downmixes to stereo via WinAmp on my PC but I don't have 5.1 speakers)

Last edited:
Hey I love Amon Tobin after hearing him on Brave new waves (CBC Radio2) one night. I went out and bought all his CD's.
This was a dream project for me, somehting I thought I would never see, So yes I love this DVD-A.

I just picked this up for $14 off an amazon Marketplace seller and it just arrived today. Unfortunately, I only had an opportunity to listen to the first track, "The Lighthouse", before the wife and kid came home and rained on my parade. Would anyone recommend any "must listen" or fav tracks for someone perpetually in a hurry?

Thought this one had a poll...

I wanted to enjoy this one, I really wanted to enjoy this one... but the content is so hard to get into! And it's not that I ain't familiar with Amon Tobin's trademark style of music. I adored Permutation, Supermodified and Out From Out Where as they were released... but this one: I just don't get it. I understand it's a videogame soundtrack, and that's probably why it's so different from his regular output.

The surround mix, like any of his previous stereo releases, is excellent. I'd give it a 9 or a 10.

But the content... Be prepared for something out of the ordinary. I can't rate it now, as I'm not into it. Maybe it'll grow on me over time, I don't know.

If you're thinking of buying this one, I'd advise you to listen to samples first. Just in case you spend too much on something that'll sit on your shelf collecting dust.

Well this one's gone dark for a long time...
*a bit on the loud side with some slight clipping in the Center channel, but yes, aggressive mix!

CHAOS THEORY SPLINTER CELL.jpg

Back