Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2 or Parasound A52+ (Decision Made)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I have decided to purchase a new 5 channel power amp and would like some advice from our forum members.

My setup utilizes five vintage / refurbished / re-capped Acoustic Research speakers circa 1980. (Old AR guys...we just can't let go.) All of them are nominally 4 ohms impedance but have a single dip of 3.2 ohms, purportedly around 80 Hz. I am considering the two subject amplifiers. Both seem to be very good amps, but the rating methods are somewhat different:

Amp comparison.png

When looking at the specs, the Anthem at first appears to be a much larger amplifier. But given differences in how they are specified by the manufactures, I deduce that the Anthem and the Parasound are somewhat closer in actual output capabilities. Note that my old Lexicon amp measured as having significantly more balls than its rating.

Anyone have experience with either of these amps? Recommendations? I know that @Kal Rubinson auditioned the Parasound Halo A52+ and was pleased with it.

My only concern about the Halo A52+ would be its ability to deal with that 3.2 ohm dip in the big AR speakers. I am contacting Parasound to get their take on that concern.

Thanks.
AR

Back