Any REAL stereo SACD with sound coming from the REAR speakers ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvadro

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Are there any REAL stereo SACD (stating stereo on cover, label AND with stereo ONLY showing on the sacd player (2 speakers light showing ONLY) with sound coming from the REAR speakers
Do stereo sacd do have the sound coming only from the front speakers ???

I am not sure what/why you are asking. Generally, the term "stereo" is used for 2-channel sources even though the Greek root of the word means 'solid' and might reasonably be applied to multichannel sources as well. Nonetheless, with current usage, there are only 2 channels on stereo recordings and, therefore, sound from only the front two speakers, unless some sort of post-processing is applied.

Kal

Are there any REAL stereo SACD Do stereo sacd do have the sound coming only from the front speakers ???
If the player says it only has two channels encoded, then this is what you get from the SACD.
Having said that, you can of course switch on any of the surround decoding programs that your pre-amp/processor/receiver has to offer. If you switch it to direct/pure (or whatever it's called for your unit) you will get only sound on the two channels.
Best regards,
Oliver

If the player says it only has two channels encoded, then this is what you get from the SACD.
Having said that, you can of course switch on any of the surround decoding programs that your pre-amp/processor/receiver has to offer. If you switch it to direct/pure (or whatever it's called for your unit) you will get only sound on the two channels.
Best regards,
Oliver

Well that's what I get but I do have (ALREADY rare just as a sacd !!!!) 1 RARE stereo sacd but it sounds like multichannel, well at least 2 tracks are VERY multichannel. Discreet sound from ALL speakers !!!!
Any other one(s) ????
I would like TOO an answer about "Any STEREO sacd with sounds coming from the rear speakers ???". Please try to help me on this too
THANKS

Haha, See I think something is happening that you are unaware of. I am going to guess one of two things.

1. You have the stereo source playing through some sort of a surround sound decoder and have not yet realized it.

2. The stereo source has some out of phase sounds that may appear like they are coming from the rear speakers when they are in fact only coming from the front speakers.

Outside of those two situations and provided the player is in fact in 2ch mode, I don't see why any Stereo-SACD would appear to be coming from all the speakers.

Haha, See I think something is happening that you are unaware of. I am going to guess one of two things.

1. You have the stereo source playing through some sort of a surround sound decoder and have not yet realized it.

2. The stereo source has some out of phase sounds that may appear like they are coming from the rear speakers when they are in fact only coming from the front speakers.

Outside of those two situations and provided the player is in fact in 2ch mode, I don't see why any Stereo-SACD would appear to be coming from all the speakers.

OK so I put my ears right on the back speakers, NO sound !!! So it's STEREO BUT :
I switch off the back speakers too and it did sound again multichannel on the beginning of the last track (at least). From the beginning track 1... it's not obvious, though you do have a depth feeling from front to back speakers.
MAYBE it's a sort of VIRTUAL surround recording, sort of QSound...
Anyway it's a VERY good sacd, specially if you like the Tangerine Dream soft ambient days, spacy trippy electonic psycedelic.... music. Then a MUST for even the multichannel ONLY "collectors"
Is this a prelude to VIRTUAL surround, QSound... STEREO sacd. Interesting thought !
THANKS
Thanks too to kal, Key, El Quapo for helping

OK so I put my ears right on the back speakers, NO sound !!! So it's STEREO BUT :
I switch off the back speakers too and it did sound again multichannel on the beginning of the last track (at least). From the beginning track 1... it's not obvious, though you do have a depth feeling from front to back speakers.
MAYBE it's a sort of VIRTUAL surround recording, sort of QSound...
Anyway it's a VERY good sacd, specially if you like the Tangerine Dream soft ambient days, spacy trippy electonic psycedelic.... music. Then a MUST for even the multichannel ONLY "collectors"
Is this a prelude to VIRTUAL surround, QSound... STEREO sacd. Interesting thought !
THANKS
Thanks too to kal, Key, El Quapo for helping

Well there are a ton of albums mixed like this. But not all speakers and players will reveal it. It became glaringly obvious for me when I switched to my new sound card - reverbs and echoes that are out of phase will sound like they are coming from behind my head in normal stereo.

One day I accidentally had a decoder running folded down into stereo and didn't notice that the back speakers weren't outputting anything until about 30 minutes in. I did notice that the bass seemed funny and the imaging wasn't as good as it could be, but it still sounded like sound was localizing from the surround speakers.

I do stuff like this all the time to myself when I am just in a rush and doing things without thinking about it. Like I have had headphones on at 4am with someone asleep in the next room, clicked on a website with loud sounds, forgot it was my headphones and thought it was my speakers outputting. I rushed to my amp switch to click the speakers off only to find they were already off. It's funny how you can trick yourself.

I know there were some demo SACDs that had stereo tracks AND multichannel tracks. I forget who put these out, but I think they were European releases, however, the tracks were clearly marked as to which ones were in fact multichannel.

Please wait as I have to help my friends first to find a copy
Hope you understand this
While waiting, as I am a good guy I will tell you some nice items not know to many of you
I have no pc at home so for today I can only tell you about this one:
THE SYMPHONIC JEAN MICHEL JARRE LIMITED EDITION INCLUDING 5.1 Audio Mix DVD
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11398

To order it just click on the 5.1 photo

VERY good orchestration, the 5.1 mix is also very good

Back