Any Sanyo Quad guys out there? Wait, don't shoot...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterwizard61

Howdy. Not long ago I picked up a minty fresh Sanyo DCX 3500K at an estate sale. I never knew Sanyo had even done anything in Quad gear. This unit was evidently produced around 1974. Does anyone have any tech info on it like specs or such? Any info you have would be great.
Thx, The Wizard

Howdy. Not long ago I picked up a minty fresh Sanyo DCX 3500K at an estate sale. I never knew Sanyo had even done anything in Quad gear. This unit was evidently produced around 1974. Does anyone have any tech info on it like specs or such? Any info you have would be great.
Thx, The Wizard

Well, I checked one of my ancient magazines, and here you go - From a 1974 Quad Buyers Guide. The Sanyo Receivers of the issue:

Attachments

• sanyo.jpg
    sanyo.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 345
Hey thanks Jon, that was right on! The power and year were pretty much right where I thought. Boy, but the price! Still, a pretty nice effort for a Sanyo, the unit sounds surprisingly good. I have a Technics SA 8000 and a Kenwood 8340, and this Sanyo gives them both a pretty good run.
Thanks again for the info, I owe ya.
The Wizard

Although a favorite brand I own, not everything has to be a Sansui. I like to collect different brands of Quad decoders/receivers just for their looks if nothing else. Plus 4 channels of power is still 4 channels of sound with good results when hooked to a DVD-A/SACD player with RCA outs. Sometimes we buy these units because it takes us back to a place in time or gives a certain sound that other amps although perhaps "better," can't be found anywhere else.

A Sanyo Quad Unit (might have been a 3500 or 3300)...turned up at my Local vintage Hi-fi store about 6 months or so back. Naturally, being the sort of person where time stops, and all other concerns cease whenever he sees four blue (..or green) meters in a straight line, I had to check it out.

It looked like it had been in someones garage for 20 years and the controls were very stiff and crackly. It sounded fuzzy and warm...both the amp & tuner....but a very agreeable fuzzy and warm...almost like a tube amp...but a bit muffled. Definitely not a Sansui or Marantz beater....maybe Technics. Sort of a early 70's Kenwood/Pioneer sort of warm but a extra two jumper with jacket warm.

One of those things that you might come back to, just to get a particular unique warm timbre to your music. I can see how Misterwizard61 is fond of his...

Unfortunately, I couldn't test any of the quad functions, they weren't set up for it.

Although a favorite brand I own, not everything has to be a Sansui. I like to collect different brands of Quad decoders/receivers just for their looks if nothing else. Plus 4 channels of power is still 4 channels of sound with good results when hooked to a DVD-A/SACD player with RCA outs. Sometimes we buy these units because it takes us back to a place in time or gives a certain sound that other amps although perhaps "better," can't be found anywhere else.
More amps to you Old Quad Guy! I'm well aware most Sanyo gear was pretty blue light special, but this particular unit was in great shape and cheap. Besides, there are many Sansui and Marantz quads out there, but how many Sanyos do you ever see? Moreover, this unit is the same vintage as the old Pioneer receiver I had growing up. There's just nothing like those aqua blue lights!
Thanks for the post!

Right on Dude, you nailed it in one. Sure Marantzs and Sansuis are better units (which is why I can't afford a decent one), but for a whole 30 clams this one looks showroom new and sounds surprisingly good.
Thanks for the post.

Back