Audio Card problem... I'm Stumped

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I gave it one more chance this morning. I reset all the defaults on the board and then went and shut down anything that had to do with CPU power to make it, basically, as high performance as possible. I have spent the last 2 hours click free on everything (Foobar, Wavelab, YouTube etc.) Maybe I did something good. I guess we will see. I would really hate to take everything apart and spend another $100 on this thing. My wife thinks I'm insane.

So I gave it one more chance this morning. I reset all the defaults on the board and then went and shut down anything that had to do with CPU power to make it, basically, as high performance as possible. I have spent the last 2 hours click free on everything (Foobar, Wavelab, YouTube etc.) Maybe I did something good. I guess we will see. I would really hate to take everything apart and spend another $100 on this thing. My wife thinks I'm insane.

I doubt it is a "performance" issue. More than likely a "interrupt" (IRQ) issue. I recall fighting with interrupt issues constantly back in the early Windows days (90's) with a fancy stereo sound card I bought. You probably turned off whatever program or background operation was interfering with your audio reproduction. Plug-n-play solved most of those issues, but now you have to face PCI compatibility issues, and innumerable registry/service/bus issues. Good luck. I hope it keeps working consistently.

Those damn IRQ's. Your problem sounded EXACTLY like an IRQ issue. CPU attention is required! :)

It was simple when there were the fixed 16, and you knew what each one was used for. Now, who the hell knows?

Those damn IRQ's. Your problem sounded EXACTLY like an IRQ issue. CPU attention is required! :)

It was simple when there were the fixed 16, and you knew what each one was used for. Now, who the hell knows?
I have 190 plus some that are listed -2, -3 etc. WTF!!!

Focusrite makes some cool looking usb multichannel sound cards, a friend of mine recently picked one up. Just a stereo input one, but it's been working out good for his purposes. I think some of their models have at least 4 ins. I was considering going that route.

The Behringer FCA 610 box has been terrific with Win 7 Ultimate Dell box after moving away from M-Audio 1010LT on Dell Win XP. I'm going from Dell XPS for mixing into Denon via USB 2.0 to 6 analog outs. Looking forward to using all the inputs soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Behringer FCA 610 box has been terrific with Win 7 Ultimate Dell box after moving away from M-Audio 1010LT on Dell Win XP. I'm going from Dell XPS for mixing into Denon via USB 2.0 to 6 analog outs. Looking forward to using all the inputs soon.

I am on a quest to find a suitable soundcard right now - hopefully to meet my ins and outs needs. I'd like to record my own songs in hi-def and mix 5.1 in hi-def too. Do you recommend the Behringer FCA 610 or maybe something similar?
I have an MSI 970A-G43 MB. Some of the posts I've been reading today are making me dubious about picking up a PCI card.
A variety of hi-def audio inputs and 6-chan analog outs are my big needs.
My MB has usb 3.0.

It's probably been suggested before, but I skipped the soundcard issues and went with with a MOTU box. The Ultralite Mk3 has 8 in/out and is less than the original 828 Mk3, but it is still in the $500 range and worth every penny IMO. You may be able to get a used one cheaper.

The older MOTU 828 Mk2 can be found for $100-$200, but is restricted to firewire. I used to use an 828 Mk2 and it certainly did the job.

It's probably been suggested before, but I skipped the soundcard issues and went with with a MOTU box. The Ultralite Mk3 has 8 in/out and is less than the original 828 Mk3, but it is still in the $500 range and worth every penny IMO. You may be able to get a used one cheaper.

The older MOTU 828 Mk2 can be found for $100-$200, but is restricted to firewire. I used to use an 828 Mk2 and it certainly did the job.

That's what I use as well. Well worth it if you are serious about doing 5.1 or 4.0 recording and mastering/cleaning up, etc

Back